Another Les Tele Thing.......Heheheh-Mine!

ScottR

That get's me to the point prior to last night's post.

To those of you going to the last page of this thread and surprise to see that it is page three instead of page nine, see below from the new page one.

On 12/14/2015 at 9:25 AM, ScottR said:

Hello there........

In an attempt to delete a post that was not working properly, I managed to delete this whole dang thread. "Twas a foolish mistake that I made and it seems to be completely and permanently gone.

.........so I shall attempt to re-post the pics. I won't remember much of my commentary, so hopefully the pictures will tell the story. All the conversations will be fond memories. This may take a while so bear with me and feel free to jump in anytime and ask questions or start new conversations.......or just laugh at a goofy picture or the predicament I've created.

This weekends work began with micro mesh grade 2400.

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

And then on to 3200.

IMG_1357.JPG

That was the work for the better part of Saturday. It had turned into a rainy night by then. Gary Moore was playing the blues, and the neighborhood Christmas lights were reflecting off of the wet pavement. Time to relax and enjoy the mood.

IMG_1358.JPG

SR

You're gonna end up beating me across the finish line! That thing is really sweet. Remind us again what pups are going in there? Also, what truss rod did you use? It almost looks like the ones I have from Allied Lutherie.

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

Between 3600 and 4000 I started to wipe it down with this old sock that has been impregnated with dry buffing compound from many buffings past. It cleans up the finest stuff and leaves the scratches that need work.

IMG_1365.JPG

I see there are a few remaining to work out.....

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPGIMG_1371.JPGIMG_1373.JPGIMG_1374.JPG

I seem to always get ahead or behind of the commentary. when I have to reload pics...hopefully these catches it back up.

SR

53 minutes ago, komodo said:

You're gonna end up beating me across the finish line! That thing is really sweet. Remind us again what pups are going in there? Also, what truss rod did you use? It almost looks like the ones I have from Allied Lutherie.

I won't be able to work on it again till the last couple days of the month. I'm actually getting a little ahead of myself in terms of leveling the nitro, even though Behlen's say you can do it after 48 t0 72 hours. I'll be able to see if I need to repeat any steps when I get back to it in a couple of weeks.

I actually never mentioned the pick-ups. I like Kleins a lot. The bridge is this Fat Man Tele.http://www.kleinpickups.com/p-38-fat-man-tele-pickups.aspx

And the neck is this Epic series 1957 P-90. http://www.kleinpickups.com/p-330-1957-epic-series-p-90-pickups.aspx

The truss rod is Allied. At the time I ordered this batch they had sold out their normal guitar sized rods so I got the bass sized ones. 17 or 18 inches long I think......I don't remember exactly off the top of my head. I need at least 23 frets with my 25" scale necks and this is the second guitar that size has gone in. So far so good Allied Lutherie make very good truss rods.

I cannot get my picture of Ballast Point Sculpin IPA to show up in the next to last post.....even though it was there before I deleted the whole damn thing. Edit: now I can.......:wOOt

Trust me, it was good!:)

SR

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

The truss rod is Allied.

NIce! We're blood brothers then, cause that's what's in the dragon guitar too. I have a Stewmac Hot Rod sitting here that I have never brought myself to use since I had several of those Allied rods and liked them so much. I'm throwing another guitar together from parts right now, and just decided it;s easier for me to build a neck than buy one and need to decide again between the two. 

14 hours ago, ScottR said:

In an attempt to delete a post that was not working properly, I managed to delete this whole dang thread.

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Well done on restoring all the pics though. Think of it as one of those 30 second plot reviews at the start of an X-Files episode.

"...Previously in ScottR's thread..."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, komodo said:

NIce! We're blood brothers then, cause that's what's in the dragon guitar too. I have a Stewmac Hot Rod sitting here that I have never brought myself to use since I had several of those Allied rods and liked them so much. I'm throwing another guitar together from parts right now, and just decided it;s easier for me to build a neck than buy one and need to decide again between the two. 

I used a Hot Rod in my first build. As far as truss rods go......it makes a pretty good back scratcher. I just was never comfortable with how deep the route has to be.

I like the stainless steel in the Allied rods as well as the thread configuration. There are many out there that use the same profile, which is the major advantage it has over the Hot Rod.

SR

21 minutes ago, psikoT said:

Sorry for the mess and congratulations for the restoration... nice to see the whole process in a row.

Those last shots are amazing, can't believe... and do you apply wax afterwards maybe?

Micromesh is what I need!

No wax at this point, but to be fair the last shot has been rubbed with that rag that has old buffing compound on it and that does increase the shine. To finish up I will still go through the 6000, 8000, and 12,000. And then I'll use some buffing compound and finally some polishing compound. Both of those go on with an orbital sander that I've I've rigged a foam rubber pad for. And then, then I do put some auto polish on it because I do like the high gloss look, and it helps seal and protect the clear against things like spilled drinks.

SR

• 2 weeks later...

looking good Scotty. I see you have come over to the micromesh team. great stuff - if a little time consuming. I use it on a lot of finishes up to 12000 grit, then hop onto the polishing compounds & swirl removing paste. gets that nuclear diamond shine hapnin good n propper.

pitty you lost most of this thread, was a good one.

17 hours ago, pauliemc said:

looking good Scotty. I see you have come over to the micromesh team. great stuff - if a little time consuming. I use it on a lot of finishes up to 12000 grit, then hop onto the polishing compounds & swirl removing paste. gets that nuclear diamond shine hapnin good n propper.

pitty you lost most of this thread, was a good one.

Paulie speaks!

I've been a fan of micromesh since before I ever dreamed of building a guitar. I first used it on my carvings. It is amazing what happens to raw wood when you polish it up to that degree. Everyone swears it already has a finish......and want to know what it is.

It's good to hear from you man, it's been a while. Life in the Aeolian factory must be hopping. Assuming you've healed enough to hop again.

Cheers!

-Scott

Things are slow, more to the point Im slow - so I dont have much time to pop on here. The arm is still fairly bangd up, no grip strenght just yet so Im dropping a lot of tools but no fallen gitirs just yet. Actually turning away work at the moment because I would never be able to get to it in a reasonable abount of time.

But screw it, It will all work out soon enuf. few days off over the holidays to chill & get away from the heavy stuff will be cool. get some playing in & chek out the forum.

I found micro mesh years back when I had to polish an acrylic jem I made. was recomended to me by an aircraft tech that uses it to repair windscreens on air planes - coooool

Using Micromesh to repair the windscreens sounds like a vacuum infusion of CA or similar and then a cut back/polish?

Either that or it's the old joke of "Problem: Evidence of cracking in windscreen found. Resolution: Evidence removed".

Found it!

Pilots: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement. 
Engineers: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

Pilots: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough. 
Engineers: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

Pilots: Something loose in cockpit.
Engineers: Something tightened in cockpit.

Pilots: Dead bugs on windshield. 
Engineers: Live bugs on back-order.

Pilots: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent. 
Engineers: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

Pilots: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear. 
Engineers: Evidence removed.

Pilots: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick. 
Engineers: That's what they're for.

Pilots: Suspected crack in windshield. 
Engineers: Suspect you're right.

Pilots: Number 3 engine missing. 
Engineers: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

Pilots: Aircraft handles funny. 
Engineers: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

Pilots: Target radar hums 
Engineers: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

Pilots: Mouse in cockpit. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer. 
Engineers: Cat installed.

Qantas Pilot: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer. 
Engineers: Took hammer away from midget