Bob's Your Uncle: A Rick-O-Rocker Mash-up Thing

Cool idea about getting a sub-culture of guitar builders hanging out at the hacker space. As we see with this site, a group vibe and collaboration really helps everyone improve their skills and ideas more quickly. Several people here have expressed an interest in building a guitar, though I'm finding there is a big mental jump from "wanting to build a guitar... someday" to walking into a shop and getting started. 

As for tools, I know nothing, but I sure do love the cabinet scrapers I bought. It really made neck carving (and many other things) a joy. I got this set - best $16 I've spent so far. 

• Like 1

Hi, @sirspens

Yes - tool choice is a bit of a minefield.  My approach is always to start out budget and then, once I am sure that 'yes! that suits me' then I upgrade.

I have only just upgraded my spokeshave from this $10 DIY store basic after completing at least 10 necks, from maple to mahogany:

2r9FRztl.jpg

Learn to sharpen the blade properly and this will do perfectly well at first! (they tend to be NOT sharpened properly straight from the store)

Cabinet scrapers are even cheaper.  To be honest, at first you can treat it as a disposable so you don't have to learn how to burnish it (these generally ARE ready to use straight out of the packet.  I think this was about $6.  This is a UK one but they are readily available in DIY chains in US too:

iklGJmyl.jpg

I have in the past, carved the whole neck with a cabinet scraper alone!  It takes a lot longer than using a spokeshave, but you are not in a position of one slip and oops too far.  They are a much underrated and undervalued tool.  

Ditto ref a rasp file - at first, go budget.  All you are wanting to do is get the reference points.  I start by cutting some card or thin plastic with the profile shape at a number of fret positions of my favourite present guitar or bass as a template:

oV3O8s9l.jpg

So Step 1 Rasp:

taBzp1El.jpg

Step 2: spokeshave then scraper, or just scraper to here (just joining up the two reference points in straight lines up the neck):

qSrFLFjl.jpg

Step 3 Once you've got it to size and shape, finish off with grit cloth backwards and forwards this way first (see the helpful arrows :D ), and then hand sand up and down the length to take out any cross-grain sanding scratches:

sXGj6PQl.jpg

And after what should be a total of less than an hour or so and less than $20 of equipment, you should have something like this:

f06HQttl.jpg

There are many ways people do this, but the main thing is that, for a one-off, it really doesn't take long, so you can afford to use the simpler (and cheaper) methods which actually give you MUCH less opportunity of making a slip and wrecking it.

Hope this helps!  Let us all know how you get on :)

Andy

• Like 1

This evening I got a chance to get over to the hackerspace and use the band saw to cut out my guitar body. There was a rather hulking blade on the saw, so I couldn't make as tight of turns as I would have liked. I looked around for an oscillating spindle sander that I saw the other day so that I could clean up the cut and bring it in closer to the outline. Couldn't find it. I don't know what this machine is called, but it's a beast and did a great job.

01cleaningup.jpg

I just couldn't get into the corners. I am going to have to go back tomorrow with a small 1/2" diameter spindle sander and finish the clean up. After laying my template over it (which I didn't have with me at the time) there were some places were I am not as close as I would like to me, so I'll take care of that tomorrow too.

What we are looking at above is the inside. I am going to use the Rickenbacker construction style and put a back on it, so this will be the top....

02thetop.jpg

I also took the chance to lay it onto a machined flat cast iron surface of the table saw to make sure it hasn't warped. If there is any warping to this, it is absolutely minimal.

03itisflat.jpg

Also, I love getting ahead of myself, so before I have even figured out how to make a neck, here is a sneak peak at my next guitar design...

05sneakpeak.jpg

My girlfriend is at a convention this weekend, so I am going to spend a lot of time at the hackerspace. I will also have my tools for working on necks by then. So... that will be this weekend. Neck practice. Neck practice. Neck practice.

Destroying some wood is going to feel soooo good after this week at work.

Edited by sirspens
pic

I'd say that this is a good way to exchange ideas. @Original has his techniques and personal ways of working, so communicating and implementing them would be great as an experiment of sorts. That's just me though, and you know exactly why I think this is important!

Aesthetically, I don't know. The design seems to suit the more "out there" surf schemes. The yellow seems to speak to me somewhat. No idea why....

• Like 1

@Prostheta and @2.5itim

I created the drawings in the exact order they are there, because that is the order in which I felt they made sense. So, originally, those were my top two choices, as well.

I love Danelectros. I own two. I'm leaning away from the blue, because one of my Danos is blue. And the red actually doesn't appeal to me that much.

If my hands were tied and Seafoam Green and Yellow were my only two options, I wouldn't complain at all. (And I have never even considered buying a yellow guitar before.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2.5itim said:

One question I have is, are you not doing a scarf joint or cutting in a headstock angle? I can't really tell by the pic but the board looks pretty thin to be cutting in an angle. 

Haha. I was just standing looking at my guitars having this argument with myself. My plan has been that, since this is my first build and I am attempting a neck at all, I would keep it simple and build the neck in the Fender style, straight.

Then I got to looking at my Danos, just now. They are angled. Of course my Gibsons are, but it hadn't even occurred to me until just a few minutes ago that the Danos are angled. (Also, did you know you have to take a Dano neck off to adjust the truss rod?) I like the look of the angled headstock better, and I know all the great arguments regarding string tension, but that adds another level of complexity to an already really complex first build. 

As of this moment, I am still going with the flat neck. At least for this build. Next time I'll try the scarf joint. That's my plan, at least. But I'm willing to be talked out of it. 

4 minutes ago, sirspens said:

Haha. I was just standing looking at my guitars having this argument with myself. My plan has been that, since this is my first build and I am attempting a neck at all, I would keep it simple and build the neck in the Fender style, straight.

Then I got to looking at my Danos, just now. They are angled. Of course my Gibsons are, but it hadn't even occurred to me until just a few minutes ago that the Danos are angled. (Also, did you know you have to take a Dano neck off to adjust the truss rod?) I like the look of the angled headstock better, and I know all the great arguments regarding string tension, but that adds another level of complexity to an already really complex first build. 

As of this moment, I am still going with the flat neck. At least for this build. Next time I'll try the scarf joint. That's my plan, at least. But I'm willing to be talked out of it. 

I'm not trying to talk you into anything you don't think that you can achieve yet but, don't psyche yourself out. This is also my first time making a neck, granted I'm making 2 but it really wasn't that hard! 

After making the scarf joint angled cut I saw how bad I did at cutting it and got really scared lol. 

But with the guidance from prostheta I was able to fix it and they turned out awesome. This is the jig he showed me, which I made and it turned out great. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, 2.5itim said:

But with the guidance from prostheta I was able to fix it and they turned out awesome. This is the jig he showed me, which I made and it turned out great. 

Yeah. I've been following your build. That is one of the reasons I have been having this argument with myself.

• Like 1

Here's the problem with the Hackerspace. I get too much done too quickly. I keep planning to go up there and do work, what would previously have taken me a whole evening, and I knock it out in 45 minutes. Having the right tools is kind of convenient. I'm going to have to start planning more....

8 hours ago, sirspens said:

Here's the problem with the Hackerspace. I get too much done too quickly. I keep planning to go up there and do work, what would previously have taken me a whole evening, and I knock it out in 45 minutes. Having the right tools is kind of convenient. I'm going to have to start planning more....

I know exactly what you mean. In many respects, since I am only able to do work during night classes until I get a workshop sorted specifically for ProjectGuitar.com, I have already mentally gone through the processes and steps before putting my hands on anything. It works out well that way, however I still have fewer hours to do work that I would like. I've tons of tutorial work to write up for the site which depends wholly on getting certain things done at the school....that said, being able to demonstrate them using minimal tool sets is equally as relevant. Once the workshop starts getting put together in a few weeks, I should be able to rattle off lots of useful stuff day in day out. :)

• Like 1

Wow, you've really moved along once you started cutting wood. Experience is an excellent teacher, but mistakes can be costly. Regardless, I've ALWAYS preferred to learn by doing. 

Yellow, with red fill would look cool, but any of the colors you showed would look good. I'm always trepidatious  when doing a red guitar, but when I'm done I love it.

If you intend to do a head stock like in you renderings, you really need to use a scarf joint. Those string angles wouldn't work very well on a flat where string trees are needed. 

Is this going to be a mahogany top? Binding?

I agree about scarfing. I think that once you add in laminations and headcaps/backstraps to a headstock you have a far stronger neck even if it is a one-piece angled headstock. To a point of course. I decapped my Thunderbird way back which I was absolutely distraught about. Mostly because I had a central lamination of super old Honduran Mahogany in the centre. Compared to what is on sale these days, it was a night and day difference in growth ring tightness and sheer quality.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Original said:

If you intend to do a head stock like in you renderings, you really need to use a scarf joint. Those string angles wouldn't work very well on a flat where string trees are needed. 

You are right of course. ... ... This build is going to start dragging out with a lot of learning time.