2016 Builds Of KEA

Might as well start a new thread. While trying to find a full time job i am still building as well as my part time job.
Here are a few of my current builds.
ziricote SS. I always forget how much ziricote smells like soap when you sand it.
9 Piece flame maple neck with black veneer
The rest is standard spec. It is past what pictures i have, right now it is ready for finish sanding.
Ziricote%20006_zpstoqhx90c.jpg
Ziricote%20008_zpsomnadyix.jpg
Ziricote%20009_zps07m64xgi.jpg
Ziricote%20010_zpse1t7vusj.jpg
Ziricote%20011_zpsgkbdvapj.jpg
Ziricote%20005_zpsujoem1nk.jpg
Ziricote%20002_zpsylh4wrpj.jpg
Ziricote%20001_zpsnwritxa4.jpg

The other in progress build is this redwood burl SS. Maple, mahogany and walnut neck. I am going to attempt a darker red burst around the edges.

REdwood%20burl%20ss%20005_zpsnzk0vikt.jp
REdwood%20burl%20ss%20003_zpsayrgc8t0.jp
REdwood%20burl%20ss%20002_zpskr5eawnh.jp
REdwood%20burl%20ss%20001_zps8keagpdq.jp

And last is this custom order. It will be a traditional V, dyed green. Some good grain on this ash.

Green%20V%20004_zps9a35mae9.jpg
Green%20V%20002_zpsdlpdvrzn.jpg

22 hours ago, psikoT said:

Those real tops look way cooler than the veneers, specially the ziricote one. I whish I could get a piece of that wood to make something, I think is stunning.

I still dont care for the real tops as much. So much more expensive and so much harder to work with because they warp so much when i get them. and the ziricote gums up the drum sander instantly. Huge pain.

Scott, the red was a last second decision. For some reason once i upload the pictures they lose their quality? The original pictures on my computer have way more depth to the figure than that.

I got the first coats of clear on the ziricote tonight. I also tested something i have wanted to try for years, and that is veneering a pickup to match the body.
I tried it and in 10 minutes it worked exactly like i hoped.

PIckup%20001_zpsul4lpcc4.jpg

Ziricote%20013_zpstlcmoyp3.jpg
Ziricote%20009_zpsdzvk8u4j.jpg
Ziricote%20005_zpsxiqhh8bb.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/21/2016 at 10:05 AM, KnightroExpress said:

Man, that is intense. Anyone else see a sorta demonic face just under the bridge area? It's in line with the widest point of the body.

I always see faces in book matched burl. I see that one and one after another stacked up on top of it. And a lion.

What kind of burl is that K? And what clear are you using on the ziricote?

SR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

I always see faces in book matched burl. I see that one and one after another stacked up on top of it. And a lion.

What kind of burl is that K? And what clear are you using on the ziricote?

SR

Using 2k Auto clear. I thought i had it this time. I was convinced! But even after superglue filler, UV cure sealer and 2k clear, it still shrunk back into the grain within 2 hours after buffing.
Next round is getting sent out for clear instead.

The burl is plain old maple burl.