2016 Builds Of KEA

On 3/1/2016 at 0:49 PM, killemall8 said:

Well, back to the default. Had to sand it all off and oil it. I didnt want to do that, because i know ziricote loses all its color and grain lines when oiled. I only put one coat to try to prevent that, but it still got really dark.

I have been experimenting using a water-based sanding sealer on zircote and then oiling it. I rubbed the sealer in really thin a couple of times and it allowed some oil absorption, enough to deepen the colors and add that glow, but not so much to hide all the cool stuff going on that makes ziricote ziricote.

SR

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I am really happy that this idea came out exactly like i pictured it. It even feels and plays in the same way i pictured it to with this finish.
The back came out especially nice with all the carves.
I have a couple of other builds going that i will get some progress pics on tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys.
The maple burl 6 is oiled and sitting there waiting for parts.
I ran into problems again with every other build i was working on, and had to refund a custom build as well.
Needless to say, I am angry and taking a break. Back that that stage of wanting to throw every single guitar related thing through my garage door.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has been slow lately. I lost all motivation to build in the past few weeks. Usually when i take a break for this long i get really anxoius wthin a week to start building again. This time is different. I still dont feel any desire to work on them at all.
Despite that feeling, i have made some progress on a 7 string. Normally i knock this stuff out in a couple days. But ive just been doing one or two things a day on it.
This is before i glued in the neck. It is now sanded and has oil.

7%20String%20Routed%20011_zpstxrf3j9o.jp
7%20String%20Routed%20012_zps2p0umst1.jp
7%20String%20Routed%20010_zpsn8rjbzlk.jp
7%20String%20Routed%20009_zpsz3ytuajf.jp
7%20String%20Routed%20007_zpst7mjmnh6.jp
7%20String%20Routed%20004_zpsuongoxzd.jp

• Like 2