Home depot Challenge Build

So sevenstring,org is holding a Home Depot or like store build competition that I just had to get in on.

The rules:

-contest runs 6 months, Official start date is 02/01/2016

- No professional builders

- wood must come from a Home Depot or like store or be reclaimed

-$100 challenge, try to keep the cost of the guitar under $1oo usd. More points are awarded for keeping this.

-Hardware  must be made or taken off of an old beater guitar

-Pick ups/ wiring/ pots may be purchased from an outside source

I'm a couple weeks into my build now and thought you guys might get a kick out of it here

Specs:

Body; Mahogany core with Flame maple top and back cap

2 humbuckers that i picked up at a local Music store used for $10 a piece 

Custom made headless system bridge made in a friends machine shop 

Faux binding

Stained Sky/ light blue

Neck: 7 Piece Mahogany and Maple neck with a maple fret board 

27" scale length 24 frets 

gold jumbo fret wire, simply because thats what iv got lying around

12687955_10153613044333612_8339321515552

FD3D99F3-2C05-426A-8730-B48578EA08D5_zps

12662551_10153613044358612_2815013811856

Holy crap, This is awesome! 

Im kind of upset that your $100 Home Depot build is looking better than my build I have going on with 4x that amount in it. 

I really like the way that you sandwiched the body also! I might have to keep that idea for a later build. 

I got the wood from Menards here they for some reason get some flame and birds eye maple quite often. 

The bridge is loosely based on Ola strandbergs headless bridge system 

I stained the top black then tried to sand it back to make the grain pop but I couldn't get the dye to stay in the figuring not sure if it was my technique or if it's the wood or dye 

Edited by DandHcustoms

each individual tuner is made up of 3 pieces 

5F857B62-576D-403C-9EAC-2017A13EEBB9_zps

lets just call them the tube, threaded rod and knob for the  explanation.

the tube is a 3/8" steel rod with a hole drilled down the center. The last 3/4" of the tube is threaded for a 1/4" bolt. The front slot of the tube is used to attach the whole tuner to the base and to adjust intonation. There's a 1/8" hole drilled and threaded for a flat head screw that is used for the saddle.

F9BE396F-A3E0-4E51-B228-DD2D187D043A_zps

The threaded rod is a 1/4" threaded rod with a whole drilled through the center, it's used to attach the knob to the tube. 

The knob is a concrete anchor I found at Menards they have a whole through the center and drilled and thread for a 1/4" bolt.

With all the pieces put together you thread the string though the knob and out the opposite side of the tube, the ball end of the string get caught in the hole of the knob. You then use the knob tune the guitar. I'm not 100% sure it'll work as I think it well yet 

• Like 2

As long as the top is flat cutting a binding channel around the perimeter of the body would be fairly straight forward. Binding the rear of the body won't be much fun with all those contours though.

Binding could look nice. Be prepared to redo your staining though, as you'll likely scuff it up when you're cutting the channel and daub glue on it while installing the binding.

Bound neck too, for consistency?

Thanks for the pics, looks like a very good idea!

I tried something similar on my own headless tuners, even if it looks a lot different to yours. My solution was to cut trough lengthwise trough some inserts in wood, they self-tap into the pre-drilled hole in the wood and are threaded inside. So the string can use the cut in the insert to get itself out of the way for a bolt to go in after the ball end. When the bolt is turned it goes downward and pushes the ball end down, tightening the string. I still have to finish it, but it works. Only major issue is that you can't tune with your bare hands, it needs a wrench. Hope that makes sense :) For the anchoring the strings on the neck side, I used a brass electrical ground bar, it's already drilled and has screws tapped to hold the wires in place. 6-holed one is 44mm wide.

Have you tested it yet, is it twisting the string?

Edited by gpcustomguitars
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gpcustomguitars said:

Thanks for the pics, looks like a very good idea!

I tried something similar on my own headless tuners, even if it looks a lot different to yours. My solution was to cut trough lengthwise trough some inserts in wood, they self-tap into the pre-drilled hole in the wood and are threaded inside. So the string can use the cut in the insert to get itself out of the way for a bolt to go in after the ball end. When the bolt is turned it goes downward and pushes the ball end down, tightening the string. I still have to finish it, but it works. Only major issue is that you can't tune with your bare hands, it needs a wrench. Hope that makes sense :) For the anchoring the strings on the neck side, I used a brass electrical ground bar, it's already drilled and has screws tapped to hold the wires in place. 6-holed one is 44mm wide.

Have you tested it yet, is it twisting the string?

i haven't tested it yet just kind of keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that it works as I think it will. 

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

That said, the work you're doing on those tuners given what you're working with is fantastic. You'll give 'em a run for their money. All $100 of it. :lol:

Thanks! There isn't anything in the rules about getting advice haha. goes to show you don't have to have extremely expensive parts and wood to make a guitar 

completely agree with you there, I'm some what tempted to have a manufactured version of this bridge if it works out to sell, it's hard to find headless hardware as it is and near impossible to find anything in extended range if you do they're around $500 usd. I need to check first to make sure i'm not going to break any copyright laws or anything of that nature.

I decided to bite the bullet and go for binding, the neck will have binding also. I've got some thin strips of oak that I decided to use along with some cream binding. When I went to put on the binding I realized I'm all out of small brushes I use for the aceton so ill pick some up and get the binding on in the morning. 

The truss rod I ordered came in earlier than expected so I got the slot cut out in and fret board glued on along with a couple pieces of maple on the top and back of the "headstock" to match the body. With doing the binding it gives me a chance to restrain the guitar with a lighter blue like i had originally planned.