One more time, singlecut

Yeah. that's neat stuff. It takes a lot of eyeballing though, as it's easy to be left in the boat that @Norris has been paddling.

I actually love making templates and jigs. Mostly because engineering them to be precise, repeatable and efficient impresses itself onto the end product. It makes it no less work - probably more - however I can probably roll off another 5-string '51 P-bass in a few days (outside of glue drying, wood settlement, etc.) rather than weeks since all the templating work was done right....even if it were for that one instrument. I just can't work "in the wood" as I design and build from the top down rather than the other way around.

I guess it doesn't make much difference for most people, but I get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from building a complex machine and then asking it to make just one item. I did do a lot of work on manufacturing techniques and processes during my last degree though.

Well that's the thing isn't it? We travel down very differently-worn roads yet end up at the same destinations. I can't tell whether it's amusement or annoyance that I feel when I see people disagreeing (read: pissing match) about two equally-appropriate methods, when the end product is reached just as quickly, accurately and economically.

Thanks guys!

Don't take me wrong, I spend a lot of time in the design stage and all the measurement is done in the computer with a high level of accuracy, the problem is that maths are not compatible with my jigsaw... :D  But I don't care, because all I need is the scale length, the width of the nut and few other measures. And for me, this is like a chain: one measure gives you the following one. So I can't jump to step 2 until I've finished the step 1.

Ok, so I have a 3 days weekend, which I'm gonna spend preparing the body. I have all the pieces cropped, just need shit loads of sanding to get them dead flat. I also have to rethickness the main piece. Still deciding if I should route the cavities for the wiring and electronics before glueing the top or do it in the traditional way, as it was a solid piece.

I also bought some additional clamps, so now I have 30 in total. I thing they are enough.

Have a nice weekend everybody!

119.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, so here it is an example of my way of thinking:

If I route the electronics cavity before glueing the top, that means I'm doing it before routing the contour of the body. If for some reason I don't get the body contour where it should be, I could get the electronics cavity misplaced some millimeters. However, if I route the body contour first, I can align the electronics cavity much more precisely.

• Like 1

Couldn't wait to see the glue line, so I've routed the contour of the body.

Got zero gaps... this gonna be awesome. :D

138.jpg

I also got the neck ready to be attached to the body.

142.jpg

143.jpg

So this is the status so far. This is starting to look like a guitar. :) 

137.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 1

The router bit is not the best in the world, I bought it quite cheap in ebay.

I don't expect to have a perfect routing, actually I never had a perfect contour right from the router. Hope the drum sander saves the day, otherwise I'll sand by hand, as I always did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

I buy mine within the EU from Neteberg.eu in Estonia. There's a lot of import crap there, however the Luna Tools router bits are actually very very good for the price. Definitely worthwhile considering.

Thanks for the link, if you say they are good, then it's worth the try.

14 minutes ago, ScottR said:

That last shot with the neck in place and the body partially routed to shape is an intriguing look.

Hmmmm.

SR

There's no trick in that partial routing, I just wanted to check the glue line or I couldn't sleep tonight. I'll flush the remain tomorrow.

But I want to make an experiment with the top carving, hope it works (spoiler ;) )...

16 minutes ago, psikoT said:

There's no trick in that partial routing, I just wanted to check the glue line or I couldn't sleep tonight. I'll flush the remain tomorrow.

But I want to make an experiment with the top carving, hope it works (spoiler ;) )...

Yeah, I know, but looking at it gives me ideas. The stepped side revealing the body wood with that stack of layers on top of it is an interesting look. Bevels and carves have been done to reveal layers, but doing it this way is something I haven't considered before. I know it's not your plan for this one, but somewhere down the road I think that look might end up in a guitar.

SR

19 hours ago, ScottR said:

Yeah, I know, but looking at it gives me ideas. The stepped side revealing the body wood with that stack of layers on top of it is an interesting look. Bevels and carves have been done to reveal layers, but doing it this way is something I haven't considered before. I know it's not your plan for this one, but somewhere down the road I think that look might end up in a guitar.

SR

There are so many options that I can't decide what to do now... the original plan was making a LP style carving, but a carve like in my last build would be pretty cool as well. Another option would be a round bevel... whatever I choose, it will be quite straight, I don't want to make an exagerated use of the veneer in the middle.

Sorry for the bunch of photos, I just want to show the sides from all angles. The robosander helped a lot, I don't know how I could live so much time without one.

144.jpg

145.jpg

146.jpg

147.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

Cheers!

31 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I guess you mean rod? Yeah, they are pretty handy. I still have craploads after I spent €5 on a Travel Ker-Plunk game years ago. Yellow, blue, red, green....all cheaper than buying the "real" thing.

Yes, sorry... I couldn't find the word.

2€ in G&W and is the hell WHITE!...  and I have for 3 more guitars. :)