One more time, singlecut

Rad did have problems with that ebony topped beast he made. I think it stemmed from building in a hot humid garage all summer and then storing it in a cooler and much dryer indoors closet for the next 4 or 5 months. 

I've had glue joints give from working in the hot Texas sun. The wood got almost too hot to touch before I knew it. You are working inside though, right? That should help moderate the temperature and humidity swings a bit. Rad's build stayed in the new environment for months, which gave it a lot of time to move. Your build is probably at less risk.

SR

• Like 1

Thanks guys, let's see if I can finish before the winter comes... :)

Feel too lazy to sand lately, I think I need extra motivation... so I'm making small things instead, like fitting the electronics and stupidities like that. I've tried both black and creme plastic pickup rings and they didn't convince me, so I've spent the whole weekend making a pair of matching pickup rings. 

258.jpg

They are three layers, just to keep the style of the top and the headstock. Since the neck has some angle, they have different height. 

254.jpg

Also made an alternative truss rod cover... I wanted to try something more "tech" but got a potato... :blush  anyway... still needs some work.

I must say that the screw close to the nut gets through the hole and touch the truss rod, so I have to cut it. Not really the best system in the world, totally missed that drawback... 

260.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psikoT said:

Also made an alternative truss rod cover... I wanted to try something more "tech" but got a potato... :blush 

<_<

Oddly enough the potato looks perfect there. The whole damn thing is looking perfect. I'm pretty sure you even trained some trees to grow the perfect wood just for this. All the grains and colors look like they were created specifically to make this guitar.

Spectacular.

SR

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!

This is going slower than expected, but closer to finish. I didn't take many pictures, mostly because they are small things, like fitting all the electronics, sanding, etc... I just need to finish the fret work, make the nut and place the bridge. 

This time I've used a press to install the frets, guess where I bought it. :)  It works fine, but - and maybe I can write the first complain about G&W ever - the brass thing was too thick for the support. After some sanding I could insert it half way into the slot and everything was ok. Much better than hammering the frets.

265.jpg

266.jpg

I think these are the last shots of the process, next pictures will be of the whole thing. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

This is a beautiful guitar, I am enjoying this thread very much. Do you have other build threads on this forum? If so I've got to check those out, I can tell your a very patient and meticulous builder. Those are qualities that make the best Luthier. Their's nothing like a well thought out project. I was always taught that 50% of it was in the planning and the other 50% was paying attention to the details, mix in a little paitence and creativity and you'll never go wrong, But I have a feeling you've already figured this out. Ha-ha Beautiful Job my friend! I Love It!

I love the way your binding choice  picks up colors that exist in your fretboard. It's a very classy look.

SR

Thanks! I got the binding stripes from the same fretboard blank (mahogany apart). It's a little bit risky cause the size of the blanks from Madinter is always pretty tight.

On 17/10/2016 at 8:20 PM, Prostheta said:

Have a chat with Carlos at G&W about your feedback on the press. Let him know that you know me of course. G&W are very receptive to feedback and product improvement, so raise the idea!

I've already sent an email. Thanks for suggestion. :) 

8 hours ago, Shay said:

This is a beautiful guitar, I am enjoying this thread very much. Do you have other build threads on this forum? If so I've got to check those out, I can tell your a very patient and meticulous builder. Those are qualities that make the best Luthier. Their's nothing like a well thought out project. I was always taught that 50% of it was in the planning and the other 50% was paying attention to the details, mix in a little paitence and creativity and you'll never go wrong, But I have a feeling you've already figured this out. Ha-ha Beautiful Job my friend! I Love It!

Thanks dude!

Here are two more projects, hope you enjoy:

http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/47269-7-strings-ashwenge

http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/48222-back-2-black

Cheers all!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

as promised, here are some shots of the (almost) finished instrument. :thumb:

I still need to do the fretjob but I wanted to check if everything was in place. BTW, I had to recess the bridge as it was too high. Need to find a way to be more precise calculating the neck angle.

Apart from that, everything else looks good. Can't wait to play this bitch. :hyper

Hope you like it!

270.jpg

274.jpg

275.jpg

276.jpg

277.jpg

278.jpg

280.jpg

282.jpg

283.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Sorry for post resurrection, but ithis is not finished yet... now it comes the worse part of the whole process.

After a very long and stupid winter, finally I can laquer this one. I bought some water based grain filler, which is way faster than the common nitro based one, and way less toxic. I got one for ash and another one for rosewood. I've masked the rosewood top and started applying it over the ash. 

Gave a couple of coats, I'll see tomorrow how it works, probably needs to get more coats, Ash is a sucker.

284.jpg.006e0ce253fae6ea77c84d60fc0a9312.jpg

285.jpg.1fd539ebddbc131cebc10616fbb3207f.jpg

Nice little grain filling rubbers you've made there! Is there any product in them? For example, when pumice grain filling? I don't know why you'd do both at the same time anyway, however that's what they look like. I'll discuss that as part of the French polishing Scott.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Nice little grain filling rubbers you've made there! Is there any product in them? For example, when pumice grain filling? I don't know why you'd do both at the same time anyway, however that's what they look like. I'll discuss that as part of the French polishing Scott.

There isn't any product in them, they should be filled with cotton, but I forgot to buy, so had to cut some stripes of the same fabric and put them inside. It worked well.

I'm gonna use both dark and light filler, but separately. I've masked the top to avoid the mess...

286.jpg.6af82bdb9271fc52a93653b06ff851db.jpg

I don't have pictures of the filling process, sorry... but I fear I didn't do it properly. I put too much filler and it was really hard to sand the remain... 

287.jpg.d495ed68b1e971c9073ae97c2c80d758.jpg

And this is after shit loads of sanding, and still there are some areas to do.... next time I'll make the mix more liquid.

288.jpg.12abb761b050640b14476f24cce7af21.jpg

:peace