One more time, singlecut

Slowly getting there... :) 

Still needs shit loads of sanding and detail carving, those curves must be perfect in all directions. This is just a preview of the idea I had in mind. I think that mahogany stripe will be a nice touch after nitro finish.

208.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

15 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Now's a good time to start organising your sanding in line with the grain. Anything crossgrain is going to be heartbreaking in that top!

Not yet, there's still so much wood to put away... but I'm getting closer to that point. The mahogany stripe gives me a guidance to know when the curve is finished, and right now is a mess at some areas. Hope to end with a nice top this weekend, no hurries.

I was shaping with my "dremel" tool and suddenly stop running... I think it has burned inside. That was a crappy one I bought 6 years ago. It did the job (RIP), so it's time to get a new one, a little bit more professional. Already ordered a Proxxon, I've heard good comments about it: http://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28481.php?list

So I'm jumping from body to neck again... removing wood from the heel and preparing for the transition. Since the neck has some angle, the transition needs more material than the last build.

I'm starting to loving this small gouge, I had it for years and never used it just because it was not sharp. I thought it was a piece of junk...

210.jpg

• Like 1

Bad news, I just fucked up the top carving, so the original idea is gone. I had to modify the top so be prepared for something weird, I'll show in the next days, when it's finished.

In the meanwhile, I've rough shaped the back side of the neck...

233.jpg

Cheers!

I always wanted a decent mini-drill and now I have it... :) 

I'm really pleased with this little machine. It's robust, powerful and quiet. Also bought a flexible shaft extension and a routing base, which is super-cool compared with the prehistoric jig I made for the old one. Definitely worth the 135€ I spent. 

237.jpg

Yes, I'm making an inlay... just one shark teeth in the 12th fret, it helps a lot while playing... 

234.jpg

Thanks guys!

Ok, so here it is: :blush

246.jpg

244.jpg

245.jpg

As I said, not what I was looking for, but still can work I guess.... at least is more ergonomic than the original carving. <_<

It still needs some work. I have to remove all the bumps in the mahogany stripe and I wish I can remove also that dark stain in the top, I think it will disappear after some sanding... let's see.

Cheers!

• Like 4

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words... unfortunately I have some stupidly busy weeks and couldn't do anything. But still alive, eh?.., :D 

The neck is still stabilizing after the back carve from two weeks ago. I'm a little bit afraid about the glue joints against temperature and humidity changes though, the weather here is crazy,.. not sure if the naked wood will resist. Does anyone had problems before? If so, how do you handle the issue, apart from finishing before the winter comes?... If I remember well, RAD had problems with a top some time ago...