Sarah's Mandolin

A couple of years ago, I built my son a nice little guitar. He already had the first one I built, and the premise was that if he got to playing it enough to think he wanted to stick with it, I'd build him a better one. He did, and I did. Whilst that build was going on, he got me a sweet and lovely daughter in law. I never had one of those before.:)

It comes to pass that he has been taking music lessons to learn to play the guitar. And she has been taking them as well, to learn the mandolin.

I feel the need to build her a mandolin. I know diddly squat about mandolins. I have only ever heard them played a handful of times, but each one of those times was memorable. And I have always thought the F-5 was a classy looking instrument. And frankly, I have been curious about that F-5 mandolin kit StewMac sells since I first saw it in the catalog years ago. I figure this would be a good way for me to get a little taste of an acoustic build. I told Sarah, that if it turns out nice, it's hers. If not, I guess I'll have a crappy little F-5 to mess around with.

IMG_1588.JPG

So I ordered the kit, with the DVD on how to build it, because like I said, I know diddly squat about them.

I also picked up this book to study up with since I know diddly squat about them.

368.JPG

Whilst attempting to learn enough to get out of the diddly squat, I finished a project for my wife out of a bunch of off-cuts that didn't get to become a guitar.

363.JPG

366.JPG

SR

• Like 2

The sides come bent, with the neck block and tail block in place along with the two points. It has a cardboard form inside with a rubber band holding it in place and you are supposed to make an exterior form from cardboard as well. So I did.

369.JPG

It also came with kerfing pre-cut and step one is to glue it up on the top side of the rim.

371.JPG

372.JPG

376.JPG

SR

• Like 1

Going forward just like there's nothing wrong.....

I decided the cardboard forms were not holding the sides vertical in some areas, plus the bass side waist was losing some of its shape, so I spent the better part of a day building some forms.

381.JPG

385.JPG

386.JPG

And while I was at it I built a tool for measuring the thickness of the arched top and bottom. It turns out that is very critical in a mandolin.

380.JPG

SR

Scott,

There is a 'Builders & Repair' forum on the mandolincafe.com website, if you have specific mandolin related questions. Lots of professionals hang out in there.

Looking forward to seeing this progress! I love mandolins. I own 3, and play them almost exclusively these days.

Also, since you have had limited exposure to the instrument, here are a couple of links for your listening pleasure.

Saw these guys play this song live a few weeks ago, and it was absolutely amazing:

One of my favorite singer/songwriter types. She's great on the mandolin, guitar bodied octave mandolin, and clawhammer banjo:

And perhaps the best mandolin player in the world, Chris Thile, with his band Punch Brothers, looking forward to seeing them live in May, They're all incredible players:

• Like 1

Also, I know for the stremac kits you need to buy a bridge and tailpiece.

If you haven't already, I would recommend a Cumberland Acoustics bridge.

As far as tailpieces, James are considered the best, if you like the traditional Gibson look. I personally like the Monteleone style tailpieces, replicas of which are available from a lot of places. But the two style have different hole patterns, so something to be aware of.

Cool vids Matt and thanks for the advice.

I have indeed already picked up a bridge and tailpiece, but am not opposed to upgrading, so I'll check those out. I've been contemplating taking the rather plain gold tailpiece I've got, and topping it with some ebony veneer, with a design cut into it to let the gold show through. Maybe matching a headstock inlay.

We'll see what kind of job I do with this thing to that point.

SR

I have no doubt that whatever you decide to do will look great, Scott.

Do you have any ideas on the direction you're going to go with the finish?

I've been planning on building a mandola (slightly longer scale, tuned down a 5th from mandolin) for a good while. Got it drawn up, but trying to hammer out a few things before I get my templates laser cut. So I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

7 minutes ago, mattharris75 said:

I have no doubt that whatever you decide to do will look great, Scott.

Do you have any ideas on the direction you're going to go with the finish?

I've been planning on building a mandola (slightly longer scale, tuned down a 5th from mandolin) for a good while. Got it drawn up, but trying to hammer out a few things before I get my templates laser cut. So I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Sarah will get input on the finish, but my starting idea is somewhere between the classic colors and the colors I used on Justin's guitar, which was nearly the same color as that gorgeous short scaled guitar you just finished for your daughter.

I've been thinking something a little bigger than a mandolin might be more comfortable to play (like I'd know), so a mandola crossed my mind as well. Have fun building your forms.

SR

I have, what I'd consider to be, very normal sized hands. I find the mandolin very comfortable to play. 

Mandolins are fingered differently than guitars, so the scale length is helpful in proper fingering technique. Two frets per finger. The longer the scale gets the more difficult it is to play that way. Octave mandolins and mandocellos require different fingering techniques.

:)

It's called FFcP, or four finger closed position technique. It's really pretty natural on a short scale instrument like a mandolin. It's also essentially the same way one plays a violin (minus the frets of course).

Since I first bought a mandolin several years ago I've hardly touched a guitar. They're just so much fun to play! You may find that out yourself and be forced to make another to keep! :)

I have  learned that it has much in common with a violin, maybe more so than with a guitar, truth be told. And yeah the idea of making another one or so has also crossed my mind, specially after making some fixtures and tools. The thought of bending sides is a bit intimidating to me though. I suppose I'll just have to try it sometime and see if I can get over that.

SR

15 hours ago, KnightroExpress said:

Hey, I can seeeeeee!

I cleaned up the thread to remove the extraneous stuff about Photobucket and keeping it on track for you, Scott. I did however leave this bit of Andrew's post in to make him seem slightly insane. :lol:

Here

Time to dial in the soundboard thickness. The line I've drawn about an inch in from the edge represents the thinnest area of the top. It needs to be .110" to 1.20" depending on whose directions you pay attention to. The center of the soundboard should be either .200" or .250" again depending on whom you pay attention to.

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

Here, I've drawn in contour lines and measurements. I'll use these to sand correct the thickness and then rinse and repeat as often as need be.

IMG_1660.JPG

Once the top is ready, or as ready as it's going to be until glue-up, I need to locate the F-holes. These are supposed to be dead center of the bridge location.

IMG_1662.JPG

SR

• Like 1