Built my own ES175, First timer.

Hi Ladies and Gents! Thanks for having me here.

Been playing Guitar and Bass for 40 years now in many forms, Garage Band, L.A. scene, Casual and now a Rockin Church Praise team(5 guitars, Bass, keys, drums, Trumpet, Trombone and Sax)............. I am a die-hard Classic Rock fan but also like some mid/late 80's stuff. I find myself listening to early 70's folk type stuff...............Seals and Croft, Gerry Rafferty, Simon and Garfunkel, etc......................

Anyway, I have had a number of guitars in my life but i recently Built one...................... Sort of...................

More of an Electric conversion to a semi-hollowbody, i love the 175's and 335's but never owned a real one.

So, here is my personal version of a RETRO ES175:

**Bought this old Tansen from a band buddy 10 years ago...................pretty basic guitar(I heard it was made by Jackson???)

**The pictures explain best but I kept the beefy Jackson Humbucker, which has a splitter, and topped it off with a set of 11-50 Flatwound Jazz strings.       It sounds very warm.................fat....................or crunchy if i choose.

**I added an acoustic hole as well as the F holes. It actually functions and it sounds decent unplugged. I modified the original pickguard as you may see in the pics...........

**I think it looks like an old Gretsch........................sorta Retro with the white and chrome accents.

Remember.............I am not a Luthier, i found this to be a very rewarding challenge, i used some non-conventional ideas.

guitar21.jpga.jpg

guitar22.jpg

guitar17.jpg

guitar19.jpg

guitar25.jpg

Edited by Scorpion1
pic order
  • Like 1

Wow, it's certainly unconventional but that gets you in the game right? I wouldn't call myself "a luthier" sometimes either. It's not entirely unlike people who call themselves "artisans" when in fact that is a title bestowed by a master craftsman on apprentices who've worked for decades in their field. Too many self-appointed "master luthiers" these days....I wouldn't call myself one unless that title were given to me by a recognised master of the craft.

That turned out surprisingly well. I wouldn't call it an ES-175 though, since that's pretty specific. I mean, superficially it's more Gretsch-like than the more Florentine ES-175 style.

So what's next?