Neck through techniques

Hi everyone. I've planned for a 5-string neck through bass in the future and I was thinking of the best way to do it given the limited tools I have.

I don't have access to a band saw but only a jigsaw, router and some hand tools. 

For the neck, my plan is to do a 5 piece laminate - mahogany/ebony veneer/centre maple stripe/veneer/mahogany. These laminates will be already dressed at the timber shop where I get my wood. 

I was thinking, since I don't have a band saw to cut out the side profile after gluing the laminates together, I would cut out the side profiles on each individual pieces and clean them up with a router, and then glue all 5 pieces together. As for getting them to align perfectly, I was thinking of using dowels or even screws on the waste portions of the neck. And of course I would leave extra wood around the proper shape just in case. 

So essentially I'm following what this guy does here https://alanlloydguitars.wordpress.com/laminated-neck-design/ but with a much longer neck through design. 

Is this idea feasible? Thanks.

Simon.

Great that you can get the laminates dressed and good to glue. Make sure that you take them more or less straight to glue so the surfaces don't dirty up and oxidise. Not a big issue, but a good idea rather than as not.

Cutting the side profile is a good idea. The only difficulty might be keeping them all aligned, so yes, dowels or screws are a good way of achieving this end.

Definitely feasible, however it's just a case of figuring out the workflow from stage to stage so you're not leaving yourself at a dead end that your setup can't get you out of reliably. Sounds like you have the major issues recognised, which is most of the battle. Keep me in the loop, and I'm happy to help out further.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Great that you can get the laminates dressed and good to glue. Make sure that you take them more or less straight to glue so the surfaces don't dirty up and oxidise. Not a big issue, but a good idea rather than as not.

Cutting the side profile is a good idea. The only difficulty might be keeping them all aligned, so yes, dowels or screws are a good way of achieving this end.

Definitely feasible, however it's just a case of figuring out the workflow from stage to stage so you're not leaving yourself at a dead end that your setup can't get you out of reliably. Sounds like you have the major issues recognised, which is most of the battle. Keep me in the loop, and I'm happy to help out further.

Thanks Pros! I'm limited by the tools I have. I don't have a bandsaw and I won't be able to invest in one due so cutting out the profiles with a jigsaw and sanding/routing to shape sounds like the most feasible option.