Guitar Of The Month - May 2016

Welcome to the Guitar Of The Month entries for May 2016!

ProjectGuitar.com's Guitar Of The Month contest is a showcase for members to exhibit their creations and to vote on their favourites. The contest is open entry for any and all members, new or old. Winner(s) receive a featured article at the head of the ProjectGuitar.com homepage, a photo posting to our Facebook and elevated member status. ProjectGuitar.com receives tens of thousands of unique visitors monthly; Guitar Of The Month is a great way to showcase your creation to the world!

Submissions are open throughout the month until about the last week when public voting opens. Polls close on the 1st of each month.

Lastly, if you didn't win a previous month's Guitar Of The Month contest, you are encouraged to enter your build again the next month for a maximum of three consecutive months. Sometimes one entry just hits it out of the park!

Tips and Guidelines

• Upload a maximum of eight photos for the instrument in your post
  • Ensure that your guitar has a name otherwise we'll make one up ;-)
  • List additional descriptive information specific to the build; for example....
    • The woods and materials used, especially if there is something unusual in there!
    • Scale length(s) and other specific configuration details
    • Electronics, pickups, etc.
    • Is this your first build, fifth or five-hundredth?
    • A bit of information on your own background as a builder helps give context to your build.
    • Was it built in the garage, at school, work or in your own shop?
    • A summary of the build's history. Was it built for yourself, friend/family or a client? Did you design the instrument and its specifications or was it built to spec?
    • What were the inspirations behind the instrument and why were various build aspects chosen?
    • Any background on what makes it special?
  • Posting a link to your guitar-building website, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. is fine, even if it is your business. In the spirit of fairness we encourage instruments made by professional builders to have that disclosure made so there is a more even balance between weekend warriors and grizzled veterans.
  • If you documented your build in the forums, post a link to the thread! Instruments with a build thread shared tend to attract more votes from the general community.
  • ProTip: Voters vote with their ears as well as their eyes....if you have any soundclips of the instrument or even a YouTube video, do post it! Everybody loves to look at beautiful instruments, but hearing them demo'ed is 10x as important.

Unsure what to write? Have a look around the entry archives for suggestions.

If you have any questions about the contest, either PM me or ask forum members; we're a helpful bunch!

This thread is exclusively for entry posts only - any post that is not an entry will be deleted. We love to hear your discussions and opinions on the month's entries whilst the polls are open. Alternatively, head over to that instrument's build thread if one has been made in the entry post.

Good luck to all entrants!

:crowdwaits:

Full disclosure, I finished this awhile ago... It just took me forever to get around to taking the glamor shots.

The Variax circuitry has always intrigued me and I finally got around to building a guitar with it. This instrument is the ultimate studio beast! The classical T-style woods and electronics give the player access to one of the most recorded guitar sounds of all time. Throw that together with the ability to dial in, on an independent circuit and output, anything from a Les Paul to a Dobro or SItar and the possibilities are endless. Last but not least the comfort of the neck can't be beat. I've always loved the feeling of the Fender Tele Plus' neck and have reproduced that carve here to make playing this guitar a delight.

Neck:

• Wood: Lightly figured hard maple
  • Fretboard: Bocote
  • Scale: 25.5"
  • Radius: 10"
  • Nut Width: 1 11/16"
  • Carve: Matches a Fender Tele Plus
  • Headstock: Standard 3-a-side in ebony with maple wings
  • Inlays: Black 1/4" dots and brass surrounded black side dots
  • Tuners: Hipshot open-back locking

Body:

• Wood: Alder
  • Pickguard: Pearloid
  • Width: 13"
  • Bridge: Gotoh modern with ghost saddles
  • Finish: Seafoam green satin nitro

Electronics:

In-house made T-style pickups with standard telecaster volume/tone/3-way. The instrument also features a completely isolated Variax circuit with independent output that runs on phantom power.

DSC_0183.JPG?itok=1t4UWbNe

DSC_0197.JPG?itok=UeYjnhN7

DSC_0192.JPG?itok=eDC7MFgQ

DSC_0209.JPG?itok=4n0jwg5A

DSC_0236.JPG?itok=daKsLkPE

DSC_0263.JPG?itok=Umrdezc5

DSC_0243.JPG?itok=XnLYTY_7

DSC_0296.JPG?itok=QRBAFj45

Best,

Chris

• Like 1

The Maui Pallet

This guitar is not particularly about high end parts, in fact thats the whole point of it. Its about 95% pallet wood. Not sure about some of the woods - maybe some folks can help me out there.

Neck:

•  3-ply neck-through: pallet oak | poplar | pallet oak
  • Rosewood (stewmac) fretboard - 24 3/4 scale, 24 frets
  • $8 trussrod from amazon.
  • Sculpey (took from my kids) brewed fingerboard dots
    • I mixed white and gray Sculpey (polymer clay), pushed it into a drilled aluminum mold then baked.

Body:

• Back is maple (I think) from a rather strange pallet I dismantled.
  • Top is oak. I happen to get a pallet that had rips from the same log that match up pretty good.

Electronics:

• Cheep imported humbuckers from amazon. About $8 for both.
  • CTS pots, and 250k orange drop caps
  • Les paul wiring. 2 volume, 2 tone.
  • Tele style side jack plate.

Hardware:

• More cheep imported parts, tune-o-metic bridge, and stop.
  • Same for the machine tuners.

Why:

This guitar was a personal experiment to see how cheep I could build a guitar out of the abundant pallets available on Maui. I've built lots of furniture and other projects out of pallets, and figured I'd give a guitar a go. While it was fun, I won't do it again :) -I'm on to using nice normal wood for my next guitars. 

Its sound is... well, not the best, and I really should have put some hollow chambers in it because its too heavy. Better pickups would probably help for sure.

Where:

I built this one in my back yard mostly over this last winter. I now have a shop and also with my work shop I have access to much better tools, but this one (as an experiment) was built with hand planers, a 14" band saw, a skill saw and a router.

IMG_1017.JPG

IMG_1124.JPGIMG_1118.JPGIMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

The Back (Pre-wired)

IMG_0819.JPG

My workspace for this guitar:

IMG_0679.JPG

The pallet.

IMG_0673.JPG

Sizing up the sides and neck plys.

IMG_0680.JPG

Edited by allanjames
grammer corrections

"the Baptist"   Build 1116

Body - Mahogany

Tops - Indian Rosewood, Blue Stained Figured Maple

Neck - Mahogany w/rosewood strip

Nut - Bone

Headplate - Blue Stained Figured Maple

Pickguard, TRC - Figured maple

Fingerboard - Cocobolo   25" Scale   1-11/16 @ nut  x  2-1/16 @ 12th

Bridge - Tone-Pros Wraparound

Pick-up - Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P-90

Finish - Tru-oil

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

www.rinkerguitars.com

www.facebook.com/rinkerguitars

• 2 weeks later...

Sushkov Guitars #0003 Zebra Ash

The third build in my new workshop in Prague - 7 string custom guitar. Of course not the third in general. I built over 100 guitars during my work in most known Russian guitar custom shop. But here is the third guitar of my own brand and third since I leave Moscow...

Construction: set-neck

Scale: 25.5"

Neck material: 3 piece Maple with Walnut stripes and Ash headstock veneer

Fingerboard: Ebony

Body: European Ash

Tuners: HipShot GripLocks

Bridge: HipShot hardtail

Nut: black TUSQ

Pickups: matching Sushkov Custom pair with AlNiCo-V rod magnets & ebony covers

Frets: SINTOMS NiSilBer extra hard 2.5 mm

Controls: Volume, Tone, 3-way p/u selector switch, push-pull series/paralel coils for neck pickup

Finish: clearcoat polyester

http://sushkov.net/

https://www.facebook.com/sushkovguitars/

12990884_1585684198408521_2488979722807742980_n.jpg13015632_1585528711757403_8518831096456883357_n.jpg12931086_1583054658671475_1780590924662314899_n.jpg

12994365_1583585441951730_8229146459121440085_n.jpg

13007082_1584259058551035_4955653188806142170_n.jpg

13006496_1583585475285060_9119175314216536791_n.jpg

12717893_1579882592322015_3716189269327215313_n.jpg

12963813_1582818448695096_8619745955340191907_n.jpg

Edited by Dmitry Sushkov
Upscaled photos
  • Like 1