Weird No-name Made in Japan 1970s SG Copy

• 3 years later...

WOW!! I can't believe I've finally found someone who has the same guitar I have!  My uncle gave me a weird little SG clone back when I was 14 (15 years ago).  The guitar was entirely stripped and disassembled in a black garbage bag and apparently had been sitting in his attic for decades.  It was his when he was young and he had forgotten about it.  The only thing I knew about it was that it was made in Japan (as was indicated on the rear of the guitar on the neck plate.  I figured it was likely 70s because that was around the time my uncle bought his. Everything else about it was a mystery. 

So is this guitar a Tiesco or something else? 

Out of curiosity I ran a Google search for those.

It seems that both versions of the trem plus a couple more were used side by side during the 60´s and 70´s. Was it because of the actual factory having a stock of a certain variation, was it due to what was available, I don't know.

Here's one featuring the original trem of yours, a Christmas present from 1968:

image.png.4bdff2537ae48c101a8397520c7bb366.png

And this one from is 1964 with the same trem:

image.png.2372e283c08a2ae91228dd9dd19374b7.png

One might think that the 2 screws in the back would be of older design but this Lyle from 1965 ruins that theory. The arm is a bit different to the Guitar Fetish version:

image.png.22edf539bb7360b6a920a148e284a556.png

This Tru Tone Rock Star from the 60´s has the GF type trem as well:

image.png.f163ca72b5adba30976fdb64688b5b3d.png

It looks like both types plus some other variations like the Teisco Del Ray below were used at the same time, possibly depending on the factory who actually built the instrument. Similar Kawai, Sakai and Kay branded guitars of the 60´s -70´s can be found all over the Internet so the name is not important. Ibanez was mentioned as well. Similar looking Korean versions of the same era can also be found.

image.png.8ad9afa5c8da808dc3a59fbefb618c66.png

• Like 1

when I first saw your pics I was going to guess goya... as it def has that 70s made-in-japan look.  It reminded me of this guitar that my dad bought at a swap meet for next to nothing...

since bizman wrote a dissertation on the tremolo... looks like yer in good hands!

Mar18_PG_CLM_Vintage-Vault_Goyafullimage

• 3 months later...

Hey, I have the exact same red Kay SG copy pictured above, except no tremolo system. Was my first electric guitar. Got it as a birthday gift when I turned 13. My mom got it used at a local music store for a trade of an old violin and $20 in 1978 - and God only knows how old it was already. It has been closeted for at least 40 years. If I can recon it Mum would be so thrilled. She doesn't even know that I still have it. OK, there is my project for this month!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I own one. A Gibson les Paul copy sunburst  elec. 

MADE IN JAPAN  (ON GOLD PLATE) with bolt on neck. I bought it brand new in 1979 it came with a hard case with gold lining. Really nice case a great sounding guitar. I have played next to a les paul no sound or quality difference.. same weight,size absolutely exact parts and materials used as org. Les paul. I still own it its in ment condition not a scratch on it.  No name on it a blank head stock. No maker  markings. I ordered it out of  a guitar magazine. I think Music man or guitar man. It shipped from California. I've ben trying for years to know who made it.