New build, makin' it up as I go....

ScottR

46 minutes ago, curtisa said:

It's good to see that the same mad, rabid beaver that nibbles away the back of the headstock is trained to do the "SR" logo too. What do you use to train him up? Acorns? Cheese? IPA?

I wish acorns worked. I've been sweeping up 5 gallons a week out of my driveway all month and the tree just keeps on giving.

But no the rabid beaver does not care for acorns.

IPA seems to work.:D

SR

IMG_2477.JPG

I bribed the beaver with a bottle of Stone Enjoy By 10/31 tangerine IPA and he cleaned up the logo. It won't get much cleaner than this except for the surface getting sanded to a nice polish. The cuts will stay rough and when oil is applied they will go much darker and the surface will stand out in contrast.

Next I leveled and dressed frets.

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

SR

• Like 1

Now I've got to plane the surface of this keruing to see which side I want to show.

IMG_2488.JPG

This side looks like the wood commonly used for interior doors.....

IMG_2489.JPG

And this side has some spalt and a little mold....

IMG_2493.JPG

But that is much more interesting, so that side becomes the back.

IMG_2495.JPG

SR

I don't know if it is the giant pores or the high amount of resin but this wood rings like a bell, which is what made me buy it and use it for this body. Of course the amount of value that has for an electric is open to debate. The wood carves easily but sands poorly. On the other hand it looks like it will polish up like stolen jewelry. It is not particularly pretty, but I bet I can gussy it up a bit.:)

IMG_2497.JPG

It wants to be a guitar.....

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

Man, the forum is acting weird during this post.....

SR

• Like 1

IMG_2512.JPG

Time to trace out and cut the top. It turns out I do have enough to make two tops, at least using this pattern.

IMG_2513.JPG

I cut it out on the bandsaw and clamped it in position. I marked the neck pocket on the top and cut it close on the bandsaw.

IMG_2515.JPG

I added a few strips of tape to make it tight, and use a pattern following bit to match the neck pocket.

IMG_2517.JPG

SR

• Like 2

Now that I'm done using the pocket as a pattern, I can glue up the neck.

IMG_2521.JPG

Out of the clamps and after the tenon has been routed flush.

IMG_2530.JPG

The top fitted and screw holes drilled into the pickup areas.

IMG_2533.JPG

It's starting to look like a guitar. Time to glue up the top.

IMG_2535.JPG

Now it's time to go out back and finish up cooking that brisket I've been smoking on the pit since yesterday morning.:)

It smells soooo good out there.

SR

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Norris said:

Very nice work and a gorgeous bit of quilt to boot. Looking at the thickness of the top I assume we are in for another carve-fest :D

Yeah, it's a giant guitar right now. The top will get some nice sexy curves and the back is going to have to lose a lot of weight to keep up. It's still mostly raw materials.....guitar shaped raw materials.

SR

57 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

lookin good Scott

Thanks, Scott

17 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Oh my, that is looking lovely, Scott.

I like proper substantial tenons :thumb:  Any particular reason why not go all the way for a hidden neck-though?

Thanks, Andy. The biggest reason is my blanks aren't long enough. I've considered it before, but every time I thought I would, I'd go to the wood pile and inevitable come up a few inches short.:blush

SR

• Like 1

Ha! You don't like Parker Flys (Flies? )then? I wasn't thinking of Parkers when I sketched it out but that was what the horn reminded me of once I had it on paper.

Note how if you mentally close the curve between the two horns you have close to a mirror image of the lower bout. Slightly smaller, but that is as it should be, since it is on top.

I like the Texan character of your guitars, Maybe is just my imagination, but I can see some sort of bull head in the profile... it reminds me  that "horny" model you made some time ago.

I also like the "calculated randomness" of the whole thing, it always keeps the mistery.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, psikoT said:

I like the Texan character of your guitars, Maybe is just my imagination, but I can see some sort of bull head in the profile... it reminds me  that "horny" model you made some time ago.

I also like the "calculated randomness" of the whole thing, it always keeps the mistery.

You nailed it. The horns are the view you'd get  from a quarter turned view of a bull. And the body shape was modified from the Horny SS I made last year. Actually the horn design was not a conscious thing, but I do see the Houston Texans football team logo everyday around here, so it certainly could have been a subliminal influence.

Mostly I just scribble sketches with a pencil till a shape emerges that pleases me. so your calculated randomness  description is on point as well.

SR

• Like 1