New build, makin' it up as I go....

ScottR

9 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

Great work as always Scott! I really like the back, with the way the grain is it almost looks like someone dropped something in water and it has a ripple effect. 

It's cool isn't it. Contouring a scoop like that in a flatsawn board will produce that effect. Discovering grain patterns like that was what got me into carving in the first place. I wanted to see what the trees looked like on the inside!:)

SR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norris said:

That's looking beautiful.

I might have to invest in a set of gouges. I don't know what I'd use them on yet though :)

Thank you Norris. If you get a set of gouges, they'll find something to cut on all by themselves. As soon as you have one in your hand, it will telepathically cause you to walk straight over to something that needs a scoop of wood cut out of it.:D

SR

Thin Lizzy has been hitting the rotation pretty hard this week, enough that it's rubbed off on this guitar. I've started thinking of her as young Lizzy....

Young Lizzy decided she wants some accessories.

IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

I don't know if an F hole is what she had in mind.....but that is what she is getting.

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

SR

16 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

LOVE that f-hole carve, Scott.  Utterly inspirational.   And it is....well...a HOLE :D

Thanks Andy. You just never know when one of those things is going to pop up! 

The first one popped up 4 or 5 years ago and is still perhaps my favorite guitar.

SR

This is one of those weekends where I could see just how everything was going to go. Finish sanding, pore fill the back and, soak in oil, and hang for a few weeks. It started out just as I envisioned it. There was not much sanding left, so I used to yellow electrical tape to mask off the back wood from everything else. That stuff worked like a champ, stretching and following the compound curves and laying down nicely and staying put.

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2671.JPG

I tried something @curtisa mentioned a while back and that is fiberglass resin. Basically it is a two part polyester, that cures in two hours. It went on easily enough and cured in two hours....I had to take it into the house and turn the furnace up to get it to the proper temperature to do that though.

I somehow skipped taking a picture of that, but while it was curing I polished up some offcuts of the myrtle to see how they oiled up.

IMG_2673.JPG

And then the I sanded the resin and it actually sanded nicely without clogging. Then I wiped on a second coat to clean up some areas and set up a curing room.

IMG_2677.JPG

And three hours later it was still sticky. I must has been a couple drops of hardener short. I'm having a much slower time sanding and scraping this layer off. It clogs and sticks and yet it appears to be doing a great job. I just won't finish this stage till next weekend.

My oil test used something @Bjorn mentioned. Mixing a bit of dye with acetone and adding it to the oil. It worked albeit very subtly.

IMG_2679.JPG

The smaller piece also has a layer of resin on it, which has not had any finishing and has a matte surface at this point.

SR

That's a brave move committing to the fibreglass epoxy resin on that build untested. The Botecote stuff I use seems to be one of the better ones used by a lot of acoustic builders down here, but not all of them behave the same. The only drawback I've found is that the resin component seems to have a shelf life of about 12 months and I can't get through a bottle of it without it going off and I end up throwing half of it out. Glad it's working OK for you.

Well maybe not totally untested. I've used it for it's intended purpose before. I knew how it behaved. When you mentioned it, I thought that it was a brilliant idea. Z-Poxy is basically the same thing. And the areas I did not get through with are rock hard this morning, another sign I scrimped on the catalyst on that last batch.

SR