The Mickenbacker

In my ongoing build post, "The Gretschenbacker", I make reference to my first and only completed build, "The Mickenbacker", a homage to the long discontinued Rickenbacker 4005. Once I realized that I could never afford the $10k+ it would cost to own one of these beauties, I thought I'd try my hand at building one. Strictly speaking, it's not a direct copy and I took artistic license with a number of design cues and dimensions, hopefully without compromising the essence of the original. The slideshow of the build may be viewed on the link below...

Well, to be fair, it was a few weeks of planning, purchasing and cutting the body followed by several years of inactivity due to divorce, change of occupation, quitting my band, moving halfway around the world, etc. and eventually finding the body and some other items in am old shipping box at the back of the garage. I guess the compacted timeline would have been more in the region of 3-4 months. I was lucky that I had amassed a superior set of tooling over the interim years, which allowed the end result to be much better than I could have initially imagined. And yes, it felt great :D