cnc rebuild

MiKro

HI guys,

well with all of the troubles I have had with my machine since firing it back up after 2+ years I am tearing it down and doing a rebuild. I will try and document my upgrades and. repairs a s I go along.

First off I took the z axis down and promptly dropped the arbor as I removed the ball screw nut from the ball screw. yep the little balls went everywhere. So I had to take the y axis one apart to get an accurate count. Missing one ball. Finally after some time dragging a magnet around the shop floor I found the last one. WHOOPPEE!! That's good news.  Will try and get some pics of the changes as they go. Need to tear down the x axis in the morning and then off to the machine shop for some new parts to be made. I guess I should draw them up first :).

One thing is sure when I get this done it will be better, as I plan on making some other changes so it is easier to tram the spindle. for one.thing.

until next update.

MK

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Ever notice that when you finally get up and start noticing things again, everything you notice needs some kind of work done to it?

SR

Yes sir and it always seems to be at the most inconvenient time.

So I will not be upgrading the linear rails, therefore I am currently disassembling the carriages. I have ordered new bearings as most of them are shot.. So I placed an order for 100 bearings  with VBX.  I need like 70 total so its cheaper to buy in bulk. :)

cnc1.jpg

Now to tear down the gantry. ( I hate this part)

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

Or as our friends from down under say, as thick as a bee's todger.

SR

LOL!!

So I am now pondering on reducing weight on my gantry? If I go to a single rail I caan reduce my weight by about 14 pounds maybe 18. All total current weight with router is 72 pounds Also I have found that I don't need 8" z clearance. so I will also lower the y and ,z axis to bring the center of gravity down. What do ya'll think? Good, Bad Ugly??

My build when I did it was years ago based on older technology for DIY CNC. It is very heavy. I believe that by removing one cross support and changing the rails to center, as well as lowering it all will help in the overall scheme of things. ???? The plate steel are 1/4"x26"x5" and are heavy as shit as well as the 1/5"x3"x 36" alum channel. The added benefit is I then have one plate with parallel edges instead of two plates and having to square them.

:)

Mike

yaxis.jpg

I removed the upper support. That removed 17-1/2lbs . once I cut the uprights after all is setup. that should lose another 5 lbs. Will rework the z axis plate and remove about 2 lbs there.Hopefully it will run faster with less wear. and less flex since less mass overhead. ??

MK

On 10/1/2016 at 10:23 AM, Prostheta said:

"Tripping over a flea's bollocks"

Im sorry An RCH  is the finest standard of measurement.outside of NASA calipers. I know I married one.:thumb:.A True Red Head, I was always partial to redheads when I was MUCH younger, then I married one.. LOL!!!!

Funny story about redhair. Many years ago I was in Wyoming with my wife 1978 married in 1977.  I had a 10/22 ruger rifle with a new Tasco scope which the crosshair broke. in. I removed the ring for the cross hair and used a piece of pvc pipe sliced thin and laid up a few of her Hairs from her head with nail polish. It worked great. When we returned to Texas I sent the scope in with an explanation and they fixed it for free.. Seriously a True Story. :)

• Like 1

Well I am disappointed. After losing the weight from the  extra bar, The Y axis is not stable and making the Z axis flex. So back to the original design. I am going to lower it some though.. All in all it is going back together nicely and more accurate as I go. So hopefully tramming and final squaring should be easier. I need to cutoff the extensions on the gantry, no need for the extra 5 lbs.

MK

machine.jpg. .