cnc rebuild

MiKro

Not a happy camper at the moment. I put the stepper on the Zaxis and dammit it is binding somewhere? I keep getting resonance stalls from binding. I have it torn down again. trying my best to find the bind? I think my ball screw is not parallel to the rails by ever so little of an RCH.

Fuck ME!!!

MK

update: found it. all appears okay now. had a ball screw bearing that was binding

15 minutes ago, curtisa said:

So was it a resonance stall or physical interference?

physical interference. that was causing the stall. As you know sometimes it takes so little to make it go into mid-band resonance.  Basically I had an end bearing that had not seated properly which was binding the ball screw. That's why I felt it was the ball screw appeared to off parallel. LOL!!

It now runs@ 300ipm with zero issues. I will push it up more tomorrow. See if I can get 500IPM not that I need it. Time for a scotch.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a set back yesterday. While squaring up the x and y axis my z axis power connector smoked itself. It is rated at 5 amps. Even at idle it is drawing some amps due to the weight of the z axis. I suspect that this led to overheating of the avionics style connector and melted it inside causing a short. So back to the drawing board. I will change these out to EC3 connectors used for HIGH discharge lipos in the RC sector, as they are rated at 15amps and 30amp instantaneous. No they wont look as nice but I don't want to worry about when another connector fails. :)

MK

Got the connectors done, Now back to squaring up X,Y  I'm within 0.0005 at this point square in 3 inches. I'm 0.0005 " off parallel on the X in 3 inches. and same perpendicular to X in Y Sounds close but still not good enough. That comes out to 0.0033 in 20 inches.. LOL!! I think I can get it closer?

MK

While waiting on my new test indicator, I have been tramming the spindle. I use a certified granite slab to do this. Once it is level to within 0.000" corner to corner. it's 12"x 9"x 2". I then start the tramming process. Currently it is 0.000" in Y in 5" and 0.002" in X in 5 inches. I am tired and will continue Tuesday to dial X in to 0.000" :)

MK

tram1.jpg

Okay done with preliminary tramming and square.

Tramming 0.0003" in 5 inches in X and 0.0002" Y I can live with this.

X parallel  0.0000 in 3" I'm really good with that.

Y perpendicular to X  0.00025"  in 3"  I'm very happy with that. That's 0.0016" in 20"

I'm sure once I get the bed on it ,these will need to have some small adjustment again.  :)

Time to move forward with machine bed and other electrical aspects.

MK

So, I got the bed on and yes there was some movement. So now to reset everything again. The difference is it is only off by a few thousandths, so pretty easy to fix. :) Hopefully Sunday I will have that all done and the spindle power wired.

MK

edited to add:

Tramming and square done again, better than before. Spindle power is operational now.  Next is to mount vfd and wire to controller for computer control of start/stop and spindle RPM for gcode.

Nah!! just some old pen I had laying around. My shakers are somewhere in this mess of a shop.  LOL!!!

God I have to get this done SOON!!! I have too many guitars I need to make. I now have a Gibson Thunderbird Bass to add to the list for a local player that gigs 3 days a week. (((shaking my cage))) LOL!!

Have you got any plans for dust control? I've just added a dust shoe to the spindle and it's made a massive difference to the amount of mess. The added bonus is that I don't have to babysit the machine and follow it around all the time holding a vacuum cleaner nozzle.