cnc rebuild

MiKro

Well the table / base is almost complete, A friend came by and helped me. :)  being wood it is a beast. Planed 2x4s and 2x6s doubled up, glued, screwed and lap joints. :) I will be pulling the screws since they are only clamping the glue. no reason to waste them. LOL!! Hell I may even seal and paint the damn thing.

table2.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/2/2017 at 5:19 PM, MiKro said:

Well the table / base is almost complete, A friend came by and helped me. :)  being wood it is a beast. Planed 2x4s and 2x6s doubled up, glued, screwed and lap joints. :) I will be pulling the screws since they are only clamping the glue. no reason to waste them. LOL!! Hell I may even seal and paint the damn thing.

table2.jpg

Are you building a dust shroud for this or do you have good enough collection on the boot to not need it? I just got mine setup and I'm wondering if it's worth building.

I'm not sure yet on what I an going to do on this. I tried a boot and didn't like it years  ago, It interferes with my type of clamping at times. I may go with a full enclosure and depressurize it with vacuum. Not sure at this time. too many other things to worry about  that detail. I have run it so long without anything that it does not bother me.

mk

• 1 month later...

Slow progress so far, to many other things popping up and health shit as well. Managed to get the X Axis trucks done, after leveling the table and the frame. Added the Y/Z uprights, still a lot to add to get that working as well as much to do for the X Axis. Checking square and movement in picture. So far Okay. Again a lot to still do. :)

xaxis_100.thumb.jpg.e579266e35f155eac2cc2d45a78753f9.jpg

• Like 2

So today I got the lower x axis almost done, LOL. I'm sure some thing will pop up. I started my controller PC up and it will not support my new electronics properly. DAMN! So I ordered a newer PC today, (refurb from Newegg) as well as a smooth stepper so It can support up to 400KHZ frequency for the steppers. Damn the $$$ just keep going out.

mk

15 minutes ago, CSwick said:

I had a similar nightmare. Mine lasted 3 years before the wife said "no more...we're buying one that works." lol

I get that, nice to see you here Charles, stop in the Misc thread and intro yourself. You will be welcome. :)

Mike

Okay today I put repacked the x axis ballnut with 0.0126" balls and added one ball. It is tight as hell now and should be much better. Not so much that heat expansion will cause a problem though. I put it in place and temp mounted it. takes about 1/4 lb to get it started. :) man I'm stoked. This may really work out for the better. LMAO!!!!

MK

3 minutes ago, Mike.Mara said:

Looking very nice indeed!

How's that central screw working out for you? No racking?

What are those plates under the gantry attached to your Y plates? Can't quite see what they are, I'm assuming extra rigidity?

yes more rigidity. as far as racking not a problem as far as I can detect. I did make tapped holes in the lower carriage blocks for extra cross members if it is a problem as that will create the full square and eliminate that. My x carriages are 18 inches long. :) X is my long axis, Y is the upper.

Today is cleanup day again. Time to get everything cleaned up and reorganized before the next step. :)

Also I used a spiral tap for the first time instead of my old hand taps. Chucked it up in my adjustable drill. set the brakeaway at 7 and had a go at tapping all of the 1/4-20 holes. took about 5 mins to do 14 holes. WOW!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Love seeing you at work Mike. Tapping with a hand drill is THAT close to setting you off on one of your mad tirades though. :D

No, not at all. The spiral tap is designed for just that. :) I was skeptical at first but damn it worked fantastic. I tapped 14 holes 3/4" deep in about 5 mins. I would not try it on anything less than a 1/4-20 though. LOL.