Kemp Guitars - 2016 Build thread

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

There have been a few builds here over the years where the ziricote tops turned out to be possessed by demons. Yours is looking pretty well behaved.

SR

No problems with this top (touch wood). A little cupping occurred since it's arrival from overseas, but it's only a thin top and that issue was resolved once it was glued to the body. Thankfully, no cracks or splits and it machined nicely. All the routs are done now and I'm thinking about the finish - might try the Osmo PolyX on this one :)

Test on scrap! I've not tried this on any exotics, however its friendly enough. Woods that are very blocked up like Ziricote or Ebony might only let the oil sit on the surface, so see how it reacts. Having a test or two on "standard" woods like Maple and Mahogany helps dial in your sense on the stuff. It's sort of like a thick product-heavy oil that can set up if you leave it, or develop fine films if you wipe it clear earlier than the instructions indicate. Friendly though....similar to how Tru-Oil can be manipulated with different approaches.

5 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Test on scrap! I've not tried this on any exotics, however its friendly enough. Woods that are very blocked up like Ziricote or Ebony might only let the oil sit on the surface, so see how it reacts. Having a test or two on "standard" woods like Maple and Mahogany helps dial in your sense on the stuff. It's sort of like a thick product-heavy oil that can set up if you leave it, or develop fine films if you wipe it clear earlier than the instructions indicate. Friendly though....similar to how Tru-Oil can be manipulated with different approaches.

Thanks for the tips. I would do some tests beforehand, but also thinking about trying the thinner version for exotics/hardwoods.

Working on the new DC today, decided to carve out a scoop in the lower cutaway. Looking at it now, it needs to be deeper, yes? Think 80s ESP Horizon :)

18835903_1064394887037190_86430554195015

18882294_1064394897037189_40350075422248

18893187_1064395103703835_22337962160370

Edited by Guest

33 minutes ago, KempGuitars said:

Working on the new DC today, decided to carve out a scoop in the lower cutaway. Looking at it now, it needs to be deeper, yes? Think 80s ESP Horizon :)

Deeper?  Maybe just a smoother transition into the roundover of the horn.  Just my opinion, but a shallower version of that on the upper cutaway would give you better balance.

Nice shape, good balance!

1 hour ago, charisjapan said:

Deeper?  Maybe just a smoother transition into the roundover of the horn.  Just my opinion, but a shallower version of that on the upper cutaway would give you better balance.

Nice shape, good balance!

Thank you for the comments, cj, I know exactly what you mean about the smoother transition in the roundover and I'll be working on that. Just got this urge to do something a bit...

yduozaiqfpjj3n5ayhfr.jpg

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

This was mine, and I still miss her.

mirage6.jpg

Nice :)

Sadly, the M-1 I posted isn't/wasn't one of mine but I love the scoop in the cutaway and the bridge pickup only setup.

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

Ziricote is a wood that oddly does not get better looking with an oil finish. It just tends to go all dark and it loses all that great contrast.

SR

True, unfortunately. I've had this one wiped over with spirits so I know what to expect from it.

2 hours ago, KempGuitars said:

Opened up that scoop a little more today... much happier 1f642.png

41%209_zpskm4ps8vl.jpg

I realize that 'better' is a subjective evaluation that may vary from person to person, but I'd say this looks fantastic!

35 minutes ago, eubie said:

I realize that 'better' is a subjective evaluation that may vary from person to person, but I'd say this looks fantastic!

Thanks eubie, always nice to hear other's opinions :)

Quick question for ya.  That's a nice crisp edge you have at the top of the scoop on the lower horn.  I'm impressed, not just that you got a crisp edge, but that you kept it very clean on the second pass.  I'm curious about your technique/tools.  Seems like sandpaper would have given you a much softer/rounded edge.  Chisels would be a challenge on a curve like that.  Scraper?

20 minutes ago, eubie said:

Quick question for ya.  That's a nice crisp edge you have at the top of the scoop on the lower horn.  I'm impressed, not just that you got a crisp edge, but that you kept it very clean on the second pass.  I'm curious about your technique/tools.  Seems like sandpaper would have given you a much softer/rounded edge.  Chisels would be a challenge on a curve like that.  Scraper?

I remove the bulk with half round rasp. It's then cleaned up with electrical contact cleaner aerosol can wrapped in 120/180/240 grit paper :D

4 minutes ago, KempGuitars said:

I remove the bulk with half round rasp. It's then cleaned up with electrical contact cleaner aerosol can wrapped in 120/180/240 grit paper :D

Yeah, I like that much better.  Personally, I still like the balance of both cuts scooped, but I can also appreciate the artistic "one-point" approach as well.  Carry on (my wayward son). ;)

+1 on contact cleaner cans ... nice and long.  I keep several sizes of thick-walled PVC drain pipe around for variety ... and with patience and a blowtorch, you can bend them gently and get concave and convex using stretchy fabric sandpaper.

Question: my Limba 6 is also a single humbucker, and wonder if you have experimented with putting a bit more distance from the bridge?  Not neck, or even middle, but just a tad farther.  The TV Jones Filter'Tron Classic Plus promises more gain, but I don't want it too "bridgey" ... for lack of a better word.  

:thumb:

In evolutionary terms, Ziricote is very contemporary type of tree. I find it fascinating. Mahoganies (meliaceae) are very ancient, with the family divided between south America and the African continent, all having common ancestors from when the continents were part of the same landmass. Ziricote has really gone it's own route due to environmental pressure. I think it grows in very poor mineral-heavy soils.

8 hours ago, charisjapan said:

Yeah, I like that much better.  Personally, I still like the balance of both cuts scooped, but I can also appreciate the artistic "one-point" approach as well.  Carry on (my wayward son). ;)

+1 on contact cleaner cans ... nice and long.  I keep several sizes of thick-walled PVC drain pipe around for variety ... and with patience and a blowtorch, you can bend them gently and get concave and convex using stretchy fabric sandpaper.

Question: my Limba 6 is also a single humbucker, and wonder if you have experimented with putting a bit more distance from the bridge?  Not neck, or even middle, but just a tad farther.  The TV Jones Filter'Tron Classic Plus promises more gain, but I don't want it too "bridgey" ... for lack of a better word.  

:thumb:

I've done both scoops deep before and didn't like it. Subtle scoops looked okay but I wanted to go for big on this one :)

I've not really done much experimenting in bridge pickup positions, tbh. I stick with the tried-and-tested position.

14 hours ago, KempGuitars said:

electrical contact cleaner aerosol can wrapped in 120/180/240 grit paper

Ok - I can picture that and will definitely put that in my arsenal.  Thanks and keep up the good work!

18 hours ago, charisjapan said:

On my latest build I move the bridge pickup (P-90) about a half in closer to the neck than normal--roughly about where the bass end of a strat or tele bridge pickup ends up , only square. And for the same reason. And I love it. I expect to be doing that from now on. It is still distinctly a bridge pickup but fuller and with more warmth than typical bridge pickups.

SR

So, the DC is nearing completion now and specification is confirmed as Gotoh TOM and tuners, Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup (zebra-coil pickup shown is for display purposes only) and Tru-Oil finish - I've got a new stock batch planned so I'll try out the PolyX on those...

19145798_1070164889793523_43939512422111

19224873_1070165029793509_22644727900967

Edited by Guest

Oil will definitely tie all of that together. The Macassar fingerboard is making the Zebrano look dry. Love the clean and freshly-sanded back! Sapele/Khaya (forgot what you used....) is so soft that I've seen many people leave it less than adequately finished, especially the end grain. Patience and attention to detail pay off.

18 minutes ago, 10pizza said:

very neat @KempGuitars

question on the 'black'veneer between the top and back: what did you use for that?

going for something like that on my second build

Thanks 10pizza

The veneer is just a detail thing. Won't notice so much on this build once the oil goes on and things darken up, but looks good at the moment .

Quick catch-up... The Wenge carve-top KM-I ready for setup...

19106073_1073250412818304_61481260901715

19225668_1073250419484970_46525294572583

And an idea of how that DC's Ziricote top will look when finished...

19260241_1073247826151896_11059666648104

19275200_1073247866151892_31339034181269

Edited by Guest