Installing a killswitch - need help.

stevil935

Hello. I apologize for the blunt first post, but I'm trying to install a killswitch in my guitar and need some help. I have a Jackson Dinky guitar with custom installed EMG 81 and 85 active pickups, 1 volume pot, 1 tone pot, and a flip-switch (Tom Morello style) killswitch with two wires. My output jack has 3 spots where wires are currently soldered to it, and I'm told the best way to install a killswitch is to solder both the wires to the output jack, but since there are 3 spots where I can solder it to, I'm not entirely sure which ones to solder it to. I'm also not sure if this is exactly the right way to install it in the first place. This is just what I read on yahoo answers. Can anyone help me out here? Am I going about this the right way? And if so, how can I tell which spots to solder the switch to on the output jack?
Thank you for your help.

Sorry for the double post. Can't figure out how to edit the last one. But here is a diagram of what I'd be doing. Is this correct? And is this an acceptable approach to use with active pickups? Lastly, I still am not sure which spots on the output jack to solder to since there are 3.

killswitch.jpg

Depends a bit on your output jack construction. If you cn post a photo we can probably identify it for you.

That scheme will work perfectly OK with actives. Alternatively you can wire the killswitch across the volume pot - one lead to the volume pot case the other to the wire that's marked as red ("From Switch") in your diagram. It does the same thing, and may be easier to wire up in your case rather than fluffing around with the output jack.

3 hours ago, stevil935 said:

Thanks for the prompt response. And alright, I got one. It's a little fuzzy so I can try to take another one if you want.

GOPR1227[1].jpg

Wire your kill switch to the pale wire (grey? white?) -the top lug - and the middle black wire -the middle lug - and you'll be grand.

10 hours ago, curtisa said:

Wire your kill switch to the pale wire (grey? white?) -the top lug - and the middle black wire -the middle lug - and you'll be grand.

So the white one and the middle black one? Alright. Thank you. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by stevil935