2.5itims build thread 2017

I worked on the bass a bit yesterday and got it as far as I'm going to take it, I really wish I could finish it out but the guy wants to do as much as he can to save money. I rounded over the front and back, he decided against the arm bevel so walnut wouldn't show from the top, routed the control cavity and made a cavity cover out of some pickguard material. 

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had time to get on here in a while but I have been busy in the shop. Let's see if I can get caught up real quick. 

This guitar is one of my pg17 models, I'm making it up for a local guy. It's a curly maple back, walnut top, bloodwood sandwiched in between, 5 piece rock maple/walnut neck, dual action truss rod, carbon fiber rods in the neck, bareknuckle juggernaut pickups, evertune bridge, hipshot locking tuners. The guitar is a 6 string 27" scale length. 

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

Here's a ta28 model. Specs are, ash body, cocobolo top, curupay neck, roasted curly maple neck that will be bound with cocobolo, arete bridge, roasted curly maple cavity covers. 

My cocobolo binding just came in yesterday so I can move on with this tomorrow after I get the binding channels cut on the Bridgeport. 

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

That's something you don't see every day.

Congrats on the tiny Tim that's on the way!:)

SR

Yeah, the fretboard chipped out on me so im gonna bind it to get rid of that spot. The fretboard was already radiused and glued to the neck so the Bridgeport is pretty much the only way I can think to do it. Fingers crossed that it works. 

Thank you all!!

Everything went smoothly with the binding so far. 

Indicated the neck level and then indicated it horizontally, cut the slot at 70 thou wide, flipped the neck indicated level, indicated horizontally cut the slot. 

Cut the fret slots to depth, wiped down the cocobolo with acetone, glued up and taped down. I'll untape it tomorrow and start scraping to make sure everything looks good. 

I really like the way this roasted curly maple looks but it chips out so dang easy, I've got 2 more little bitty spots that tore out and not sure how I'm gonna go about fixing those yet. 

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0896.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, djobson101 said:

I particularly like the way that ta28 guitar is looking :thumb:

That Bridgeport is a seriously cool machine! That's not in your home shop space is it..?

Thank you! I got the binding scraped yesterday so can start carving on the neck tonight. 

No the Bridgeport is at my work, I seriously don't think I could build guitars without it, I use it for so much stuff. If I ever quit here I'm gonna have to buy one for myself lol. 

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

After much deliberation I've decided that I didn't like the finish on the orange curly maple prs at all so I saneded it all down, dyed the top dark brown, sanded back with a burst and then dyed it with a lemon yellow. It's much closer to my original goal of prs's black gold. 

First pic is what it was and then what it is now. 

IMG_0917.PNG

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

Edited by 2.5itim

Rough carving on the neck for the  cocobolo/ash ta28 done and tuners holes drilled. 

This was the ugliest out of 3 neck blanks I bought but man it really looks cool after carving. This curupay is super hard stuff, I'd say like wenge on crack but I think the tough time carving was worth it. 

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

Edited by 2.5itim

Thank you Scott! 

I got the back of the black/yellow curly maple carve top colored today, I didn't like the purple that it originally came out to be so instead of applying the dye directly to the wood I sprayed it in nitro. I did a mix of 2/3 cup nitro, 1/2 tsp dark mission brown transtint, 1/4tsp black transtint. I really like the way it turned out, it's like a really really dark brown or black or cherry looking depending on lighting. 

My buddy who I'm building this for wanted the mahogany open poured so no grain filling on this one, I was a bit worried but looks cool in my opinion. 

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

I also got the curupay neck and volute carved on the ash/cocobolo ta28. And drilled the tuner holes. Just need to route pickup cavities, drill control holes, install side dot markers, round over the back of the body, nitro the body, oil the neck, fretwork and then it'll hang on the wall until I get the bridge powder coated and buy pickups for it. 

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

Edited by 2.5itim

I had a bit more time to work on the ash/cocobolo ta28 before going to play some golf and drink a little beer so I got the pickup cavities cut, rear of the body rounded over and body heel/fret access carved. 

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

This is a model m11 7 string 27" scale commission build that I've been working on, I wasn't planning on posting anything on it till farther along in the build but I had a nice little screw up and fix that I thought I'd share with y'all. 

It's a walnut body, ash top, zebrawood neck, dark curly roasted maple fretboard that will be getting a Elysian bridge pickup, no neck pickup, hipshot 7 string fixed bridge, hipshot tuners, lmi 2 way truss rod, carbon fiber reinforcements in the neck, 1 volume for controls. 

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

And as for the screw up and fix, I got a new router bit and the bearing wasn't tight so when routing the headstock shape the bearing jumped up over the template and dug into the headstock, with a little guidance from Andrew knight (knightro) I was able to get it all fixed up. 

I steamed the scarf joint loose, scraped the remainder of the maple off the joint, scarf jointed a new headstock piece of zebrawood, laminated a piece of purpleheart in, and cut the headstock shape again. 

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

• 1 month later...

I haven't been doing a whole lot on the internet but I've still been pretty busy in the shop, I have a few 7 strings I'm working on I'll post a bit on later but recently I've been working on the 27" 6 string pg17 and figured I'd update a little bit on it. I'm waiting on my evertune templates to come in before I do the body carve so have mainly been focusing on the neck at the moment. 

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the purple quilt top model n12. I've been crazy sick for the past week so trying to avoid sawdust I have been working on things in the house  

I finally got all the parts together that I needed to finish this one, so I painted the cavities, wired it up, assembled, made the nut, strung it and played it. The only bridge I had here at home had a floor height of .175 and I needed a .125 so I'm gonna mill that down today and then the bridge and string block will be going to get powdercoated white. Also one last thing to do is to make the cavity/truss rod covers and I'll be able to call her done. 

IMG_1440.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

• Like 1