anybody know the maker of this guitar???

I have for years wondered about it- but a conversation with friends this weekend brought this back to light. The "tilted les paul" style guitar Tom Petty plays in the video for "Stop draggin my hear around".

It started off as a conversation on - get this- cow bells- which led to songs with cowbells, which led to grand funk railroad's song (we're an american band) and I brought up grand funk's guitar player Mark Farner played a Veleno guitar- which took me years to find out the name of that guitar- which lead to- well- Petty's guitar below that I still cant figure it out. internet searches have failed me- hoping someone may know. 

Looks like it  may be an Ibanez Prelawsuit LP.. Hard to tell with so little shots of the headstock but the bridge pickup is cream or zebra and that was used by Ibanez a lot at that time.

Just my best guess.

Edited to add: at time 1:27 look at the headstock end from the back. It is almost square stepped,. not rounded arch like a Gibson. Another clue that it may be an Ibanez prelawsuit LP.

MK

MiKro- I took a looksey at some old ibanez catalogs and posters of the 70s guitars- I just dont see any of the lp type guitars that are "tilted" like this one is- good observation on the headstock- but what is throwing me is the body- it looks like if you took a les paul- grabbed the upper body where the p/u switch is and moved it towards the headstock- and at same time took the body where the controls are and moved it back away from the headstock (kinda like if a les paul is (clock analogy) noon and six- this one is 1 and 7). 

and I really dont know why i need to know- but- i need to know

(pun intended?)

1 hour ago, Mr Natural said:

>snip<

but what is throwing me is the body- it looks like if you took a les paul- grabbed the upper body where the p/u switch is and moved it towards the headstock- and at same time took the body where the controls are and moved it back away from the headstock

>snip<

Yep I see it at 1:29 in the video. ??? """Scratching my head"" I don't know?

MK

16 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

... but what is throwing me is the body- it looks like if you took a les paul- grabbed the upper body where the p/u switch is and moved it towards the headstock- and at same time took the body where the controls are and moved it back away from the headstock (kinda like if a les paul is (clock analogy) noon and six- this one is 1 and 7). 

Italicised LP? :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...