Pariahrob's build log

Nothing to show but thought I’d share my pickup decision. This is going to have a set of modern fish man fluence humbuckers and a rechargeable battery pack. Master volume and tone and a three way toggle. 

Ive not these before but I think they should suit the ethos of this build. I hope!

i wonder if the 200+ hours per charge is accurate. I did wonder about having a USB port on a guitar but I think that’s the Luddite part of me. 

Ive also got some single string bridges and head pieces coming from t4m so excited to try them out. 

I've used the Fluence pickup set in the past, but opted for a regular 9V battery compartment as I wasn't entirely sold on fitting a proprietary lithium battery pack to the guitar - what happens when the battery finally reaches the end of its life and will not hold a charge? Will I be able to get a replacement pack?

The T4M hardware is really good quality stuff; I reckon you'll be pleased when they turn up. Be aware that the single bridge sitting on its associated baseplate makes for quite a tall tailpiece assembly. I'd recommend recessing the saddles into the body of the guitar and/or being prepared to add an angle to the neck, otherwise you'll struggle to get the action low enough. There's a couple of quirks to stringing them up too, but otherwise they're one of the best headless tuners out there.

• Like 1

I think I’ll risk it for now. The battery install will be on the cavity cover so easy enough to replace should I ever need to. I like the visual charge indicator too. Useful for this who lose track of when a battery was last changed!

Alberto is such a helpful guy too. He sent tech drawings over so I could plan properly as well as suggesting some useful ideas. I’m going to keep the neck level with the body and recess the saddles. I think that’s the most elegant solution for this model. If it doesn’t pan out I’ll just have to reasses down the line. 

Good week in some ways not so in others. 

So ive has to put more time into normal repair work than I’d like. Basically had to make a replacement neck for a Warwick. Went well but really wanted to get going with this. 

The t4m bridges and head pieces arrived. Gorgeous craftsmanship, so thanks Alberto!

also got my templates from the laser cutters and very happy with them. 

Plus got my timber in and prepped. Swamp ash body. Curly maple top and wenge neck blank. 

Wood stock

i also got a new bandsaw so really need to today my workshop! I’m on the first floor of an old mill you can see the crane by my double doors. Very useful indeed!

Bandsaw

• Like 2

Making a start on the actual build now. Neck roughed out and truss rod in. Different to most of mine as this is headless so had to drill the access hole in the end. Not a problem but had a moment of worry thinking it might not line up. Lucky it did!

The body is jointed and now so is the top. Here’s my ‘arty’ shot taken mid way. Shooting board and plan method. Not as quick as using a jointer but oh so satisfying. 

Jointing

away tomorrow but Wednesday I’ll route the body and get the top glued on!

6 hours ago, Pariahrob said:

Making a start on the actual build now. Neck roughed out and truss rod in. Different to most of mine as this is headless so had to drill the access hole in the end. Not a problem but had a moment of worry thinking it might not line up. Lucky it did!

The body is jointed and now so is the top. Here’s my ‘arty’ shot taken mid way. Shooting board and plan method. Not as quick as using a jointer but oh so satisfying. 

Jointing

away tomorrow but Wednesday I’ll route the body and get the top glued on!

Ooooooh - shooting board.  That reminds me - I promised I'd make myself one this year.  I'll get onto it pronto :)

The back end of each of the thumbscrews used to be notched, so you could insert a plectrum or coin into the back of the screw to afford a bit more leverage when tuning. The tuners are stiff under string tension but not unbearably so, and I never needed to get assistance from the notches in practice. Maybe the new washer arrangement makes things a little more slippery to do away with the notched thumbwheels?

Hi to everybody. Nice to hear you like them @Pariahrob.  I have recently redesigned my saddle by substiting the teflon washers with micro ball bearings and changing the gear ratio. I have also rounded the upper part of the saddle for a more ergonimic shape. I make the same modifications also for the bass saddles.

There are no more coin slots 'cause they are not necessary.

Edited by Technology4Musicians

They look absolutely fantastic Alberto. I've been interested in fine tuners for non-headless bass for a long time and am wondering whether using these saddle units in combination with a traditional headstock tuner set might allow that. The most immediate obstacle I can imagine is the ratio, since that's geared (no joke intended) for primary tuning purposes rather than supplementary fine tuning.

Sorry about the derail, @Pariahrob

Right then! Made some progress today. This in between finishing off another jazz bass and a corvette. 

The body is coming along. Mostly been laying things out and deciding if what my templates say look right in the flesh. Mostly yes so here I’ve marked out the bevel. 

Next steps

Then cut the trussrod channel and drilled the access hole. Part router part chisels.  Bit tricky but lots of double checking saw me through. 

Next steps

Final job for today was marking up the neck pocket. I tend to do this based on the neck rather than template for the best fit. Funky laser fun times! I’ll probably end up casting a mould for this and then route using that. 

Next steps

Plan is for a 21mm pocket so the fretboard sits above the body. That will mean recessing the bridges but that was the plan all along. 

Onwards!

• Like 2

A little more done today. Router cavities for pups and tuner access and broke out the file for the bevel. 

Mall good except my template slipped and I took a small chunk out of the top next to the front pup route. Only 3mm deep and about the same wide but so annoying. 

Move cut it square with a chisel and will fit a piece from the top to repair. I’m hoping it won’t be noticeable but still kicks by myself. 

Bevel

So got some more stock in. A few black limbs blanks, curly maple tops and neck laminated. Plus this lovely ovangkol top. Looks like this has been chosen by a client for a Strat build. 

Ovangkol top