Is Cody in this log? Carving my dog Cody from an ash log.

ScottR

On 6/17/2017 at 2:43 AM, curtisa said:

It's easy to see where your knack for carving organic guitars comes from, Scott. That's an incredible looking piece of sculpture.

Why thank you Andrew, it's mighty kind of you to say so.

And thanks for the plug Tim.:)

SR

cool how that worked out around his snout- the bands are wrapping around but then it looks like the grain bands change direction right there starting at the eyes- then on top of his head. also- the bands around his body are perpendicular to those on his snout- all in that log you started with- very cool. 

That is one of the cool things that happens when you carve from a whole log. Most of the time the center of the log is also the center of your carving and you end up with cool symmetries in grain and a lot of non symmetrical patterns as well. The grain always ends up being a focal point as it highlights and accents contours. My first carvings were purely to see what happens to the grain when you cut across it with varied angles and curves. There's something pretty cool going on on the right side of his neck under his chin as well.

SR

1 hour ago, Norris said:

Is it me or has Cody gotten a whole lot meaner recently? I'm sure he's staring me out!

:D

You are not the only one to mention that.:) Those big ol' hooded eyebrows make him look that way sometimes....even the sweet little live version. I'm hoping that when I get the eyes finished they'll soften up a bit. 

SR

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

is he oiled in those last pics? Or what grit is that sanded to- he almost looks burnished. 

No oil yet. He has been micro-meshed up to 12000. I love what that does to the wood. It finds all the figure and makes it look deep and dance. Finish only makes it look better.

SR

Let's see if we can make some eyes.

My wife always says Cody has such soft brown eyes....so I need to add a bit of brown dye to the irises.

C00033.jpg

Next I fill the socket with Z-Poxy. I use one drop less hardener than resin to insure a hard glassy cure. That sounds counter-intuitive, doesn't it?

C00036.jpg

That looks incredibly uncomfortable to me.

Both eyes are filled and the shape is rough carved back in while the epoxy is still somewhat plastic.

C00040.jpg

C00041.jpg

I let that cure overnight and then next day, I sanded, shaped and polished them right on up the micro-mesh grits.

Here's looking at you, kid.

C00046.jpg

SR

• Like 2