First Acoustic. Not exactly a guitar...

On 2/5/2020 at 9:53 PM, mattharris75 said:

A quick sound file for those interested. It will sound a little different, a little more bass and volume, with the doubled C string and a little more pressure on the top. But this gives you a good idea of the sound.

@mattharris75    This is an amazing piece of sonic art. I have never seen anything like it. Great playing as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mattharris75 said:

but in my experience it's just done when it's done, I'll keep oiling and sanding until it looks right.

So true.

And interesting to note how easily recognized that point is to some, and impossible to see for others. Perhaps that is included in the definition of "talent".

This one's been worth waiting for, Matt.

Actually all of them have been. (Good thing too!:D)

SR

• Like 1

This one is such a great build. Especially love the elongated scroll carve.

I think we've both been on PG for quite some time. Think I remember you from waaay back? 2007ish or before was probably when I started.

8 hours ago, komodo said:

This one is such a great build. Especially love the elongated scroll carve.

I think we've both been on PG for quite some time. Think I remember you from waaay back? 2007ish or before was probably when I started.

Thanks! Yeah, we're both old timers. 2007 was when I started here as well. Lots of folks have come and gone since then...

On 8/28/2020 at 6:07 AM, mattharris75 said:

Thanks! Yeah, we're both old timers. 2007 was when I started here as well. Lots of folks have come and gone since then.

Remember your avatar I believe!

very nice instrument build here, impressed!

• Like 1

The finishing is coming along well. I've mentioned before that I really want this instrument to have a vintage look, so I want to keep the finish warm, thin, and with a satin or semi-gloss look. So in pursuit of that after the initial build coats I've been using thinned Tru Oil and applying it with 600 grit sandpaper, and once it is partially dry I burnish it with some synthetic steel wool. It's getting there, I'm working slowly and doing my best to keep the finish thin, with a bit of the character of the grain coming through.

My big issue right now is these tuner bushings...

IMG_20200901_103909.thumb.jpg.170cf0381cc7682d2ea60303b79f422e.jpg

I'd like to be able to remove them to complete the finishing of the headstock. It's got a decent enough finish on there right now, but it's not exactly what I want...

The tuner bushings are counterbored, so there's no easy way to push them out from the back. StewMac has a $70 tool with an expanding pin that will do the trick, but I find it physically painful to spend that kind of money on a one trick pony tool. So if anyone has any bright ideas, I'd love to hear them!

2 hours ago, mattharris75 said:

The tuner bushings are counterbored, so there's no easy way to push them out from the back. StewMac has a $70 tool with an expanding pin that will do the trick, but I find it physically painful to spend that kind of money on a one trick pony tool. So if anyone has any bright ideas, I'd love to hear them!

There is usually a tiny ridge where the bush meets the wood.  I usually use a jewellers screwdriver to find the ridge from the back, then very lightly tap it from one side, then the other.  As soon as the bush lifts a tiny bit, then you can work round the growing gap, easing it out.

Instead of any metal, how about trying to find the ridge with a sharp edged flatpick?

A screw anchor might also work . There's ones made out of lead which should provide enough friction without scratching the bushing. Then all you'd need is a crowbar.

On 8/27/2020 at 8:01 PM, mattharris75 said:

Thanks guys. Update on finishing. This is after the 4th coat of Tru Oil. Lots of fine sanding has things starting to feel pretty smooth, and I'm starting to get a little build and shine. I reckon I'm 1/3 of the way there give or take, but in my experience it's just done when it's done, I'll keep oiling and sanding until it looks right.

IMG_20200827_125538.thumb.jpg.7020551ce97afdcdd516c09f5b15cbc5.jpg

This is a very tasty form. I dream about an acoustics in this shape, I love it

• Like 1

Not a huge update here. I've been working exclusively on finishing the top. The back and sides seemed to have plenty of build after 5 coats.

I've applied 5 additional coats to the top at this point. Three of them thinned with naptha, and all applied with 600 grit sandpaper and then burnished with a soft cloth after about 1 1/2 hours of drying time. It's getting quite smooth.

This finish is going to be really thin, and it's getting close to where it needs to be on the top. There are a few problem areas, and hopefully a couple more applications of Tru Oil will take care of those.

IMG_20200903_230706.thumb.jpg.19ccd9f52604708c59d76b035633c6e4.jpg

I've also slightly re-shaped the pickguard. I need to re-polish it, and I'll probably wait to post a picture until I get it mounted on the mandola.

@mattharris75, I do believe you are the only builder I know that seals the wood before applying Tru-oil instead of allowing the Tru-oil to soak in and penetrate the wood. You use Z-Poxy to seal and pore fill, if I remember correctly, and that makes the wood look almost exactly the same way it would with a soaking of Tru-oil with many fewer applications. The Tru-oil is then used purely as a film finish which now builds with fewer applications, and is wipe on as opposed to spray on.

Did I capture the details and reasons reasonably closely?

All you guys out there that lack spraying equipment or hate their spraying equipment, ought to study Matt's technique closely. He gets beautiful finishes purely with wipe on only and does not have to spend the time going the Tru-oil slurry pore filling schedule, which still sinks 6 months down the road.

SR

• Like 2

On 9/5/2020 at 7:14 PM, mattharris75 said:

Thanks Scott! That's correct as far as the procedure I've used in the past, on either porous wood or over stain/dye. In this particular build, because it is acoustic, and based on reading and talking with folks,  I decided to use shellac as the layer between the wood and Tru Oil instead of Z-Poxy.

Y'all still paying attention?

SR

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Have I mentioned before that I despise the finishing process? Well, even if I have, it can never be said too much...

I took a little break during football season, but have been back at it for a few weeks. I could never get the tuner ferrules out through any other method, so I finally ordered the StewMac tool. Even with it some of them were tricky, but I finally got them out. A little tear out on one of the holes, but no big deal it will be covered by the ferrule. Managed to fill the grain in the headstock with the tried and true 'wet sand with tru oil' method. 

PXL_20201128_034134520_MP.thumb.jpg.e13d9824188172702d8cc95a02db6849.jpg

So, progress on that front.

As far as the top goes, all of the ridges and undulating surfaces make this the hardest piece I've ever finished. By far... It's apply thinned finish, see a drag mark some dust or some other flaw, sand and sand some more, and try again. Hoping I'm close, but who the heck knows. Here's where it stands:

537250548_MandolaTopGloss.gif.1dbaccb60c715e5ffef65ccd6dfcc8d6.gif

• Like 2

That's looking pretty good to me but yes - finishing is the peak of how I've described builds in general: it's a series of compromises held together by hope ;)

I'm always slightly disappointed with my own finishes..  Luckily, most folks don't notice the flaws that draw my eye everytime I look at the darn thing...

• 2 months later...

Got through my robot combat event and got back to working on the mandola.

Sanded the runs out of the back and sides and need to put on a really thinned out coat of Tru Oil and see if that will be enough to call it good.

Then I sanded the top and the front of the headstock from 2400 through 12000 micro mesh then polished with 3M Finesse It and Meguires Mirror Glaze. It's not perfect, but I think it looks pretty good. It has a nice shine, but it still manages to look thin, showing just a tiny bit of the grain through. And that's pretty much what I was going for.

PXL_20210204_025238276.thumb.jpg.8f83994f8a8e28a3461e6cbebf515d6d.jpgPXL_20210204_025310427.thumb.jpg.3f4329ca7705892ff69e7ae03bc0c75f.jpg

So, get a thinned coat on the rest of the instrument, wax, attach the pickguard, re-assemble, and call it finished...

• Like 4