Finished pics! Psilos Ultra-modern bass build

Someone asked earlier in the thread how this would sit on the strap.  This clip of Chris playing it gives a decent idea - it sits well, with the tuner block wrapping round an inch or two away from the player.  It's VERY comfortable :)

It also probably gives a better idea of the sound, even through my rubbish phone mic

4 hours ago, curtisa said:

Damn fine work there, Andy. You've got to be pretty chuffed how that turned out. Your shout or mine?

Well as it took twice as long as the previous one, I reckon it warrants two rounds.  My round first, yours second? ;)

Congratulations Andy, I really admire the innovative approach you took here... probably the most interesting build I've ever seen in terms of design... plus the fact that you didn't use a computer in the whole process, which makes it even more interesting.

:thumb:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, psikoT said:

Congratulations Andy, I really admire the innovative approach you took here... probably the most interesting build I've ever seen in terms of design... plus the fact that you didn't use a computer in the whole process, which makes it even more interesting.

:thumb:

Wow....I'm very flattered.  Thank you very much for the kind words :)

16 minutes ago, djobson101 said:

Amazing job on all the details of this - looks similar to when you see one of those really futuristic concept cars, and are more inclined to believe that it came forth from a time machine than our current existence :) outstanding work!

I fully accept also that it is a 'like it or loathe it' kind of shape.  When we started, I was in the latter camp from a personal point of view.  Loved the challenge but would have been the last thing I would personally go for.  

But now?  Well, it FEELS so great and it sits so well and it plays so nicely....hmmmmm....makes a difference.

• Like 1

Andy, I'm a big fan of unique and original designs and builds...and this one stands tall in that category. I never had a doubt but that you could pull it off...with aplomb,naturally. Even your near replica builds always have some unique and original aspect to them, that AJR magic touch. This was tremendously entertaining to watch you identify and overcome each challenge present by the design.

Very cool, man! Well done.

SR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Andy, I'm a big fan of unique and original designs and builds...and this one stands tall in that category. I never had a doubt but that you could pull it off...with aplomb,naturally. Even your near replica builds always have some unique and original aspect to them, that AJR magic touch. This was tremendously entertaining to watch you identify and overcome each challenge present by the design.

Very cool, man! Well done.

SR

Thank you very much, Scott - it means a lot :)

Well, this - now named the Psilos Bass from a name competition held on basschat - has gone to Mick and I'm delighted to say he is delighted with it :thumb:

Here it is adorned with the DR Neon strings he sent me:

_MG_2602.thumb.JPG.946ff1cde26a90cb8c25fdcaef5b30c0.JPG

_MG_2606.thumb.JPG.8234dec2e79ae4801b1704113b5ec262.JPG

This was a little back support I added to keep the bone saddle upright - because the strings are tightened from this side, I was concerned they might over time drag the saddle out of square and enlarge the slot.  This works great :)

_MG_2597.thumb.JPG.632e88ee088fdc8ee382308281b14ec6.JPG

And, if you forgive the poor quality of the recording off my phone, here are a couple of video clips of Mick's first touch yesterday.

On the strap:

https://youtu.be/84asdOSV34g

And over the knee:

https://youtu.be/J_U9VkTxXos

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for a couple of weeks, so there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said either here or on basschat. What I will say though is that this is absolutely top drawer stuff and fantastic attention to detail. You've produced some pretty good guitars in the past, but this is streets ahead. I doff my cap to you :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norris said:

I've been away for a couple of weeks, so there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said either here or on basschat. What I will say though is that this is absolutely top drawer stuff and fantastic attention to detail. You've produced some pretty good guitars in the past, but this is streets ahead. I doff my cap to you :)

Thanks, Norris :)   Very much appreciated

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, curtisa said:

Congrats on your win, @Andyjr1515. Your bendy, topsy-turvy bass creation finally cracked it :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Do you get the impression I'm pleased?

Clearly the tactic of shameless bribery and blackmail worked   :lol:.  The cheques are in the post and the dossiers have been shredded, folks :thumb:

Many thanks for the votes :)