Jump to content

Finished pics! Psilos Ultra-modern bass build


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's job was cutting the saddle slot. I used the Dremel with the precision router base and a 3mm bit:   Rigged up a guide jig with thin packers that would ensure that it stayed

the part I guess I am still not sure about is the bottom of the fretboard between where the neck angle starts and the bridge- its almost like (in my mind) the bottom of the fretboard would be flat unt

And the 'as near as makes no difference finished' shots.  Forgive the self-indulgence:

Posted Images

Someone asked earlier in the thread how this would sit on the strap.  This clip of Chris playing it gives a decent idea - it sits well, with the tuner block wrapping round an inch or two away from the player.  It's VERY comfortable :)

It also probably gives a better idea of the sound, even through my rubbish phone mic

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, curtisa said:

Damn fine work there, Andy. You've got to be pretty chuffed how that turned out. Your shout or mine?

Well as it took twice as long as the previous one, I reckon it warrants two rounds.  My round first, yours second? ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations Andy, I really admire the innovative approach you took here... probably the most interesting build I've ever seen in terms of design... plus the fact that you didn't use a computer in the whole process, which makes it even more interesting.

:thumb:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, psikoT said:

Congratulations Andy, I really admire the innovative approach you took here... probably the most interesting build I've ever seen in terms of design... plus the fact that you didn't use a computer in the whole process, which makes it even more interesting.

:thumb:

Wow....I'm very flattered.  Thank you very much for the kind words :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, djobson101 said:

Amazing job on all the details of this - looks similar to when you see one of those really futuristic concept cars, and are more inclined to believe that it came forth from a time machine than our current existence :) outstanding work!

Thanks :).

I fully accept also that it is a 'like it or loathe it' kind of shape.  When we started, I was in the latter camp from a personal point of view.  Loved the challenge but would have been the last thing I would personally go for.  

But now?  Well, it FEELS so great and it sits so well and it plays so nicely....hmmmmm....makes a difference.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy, I'm a big fan of unique and original designs and builds...and this one stands tall in that category. I never had a doubt but that you could pull it off...with aplomb,naturally. Even your near replica builds always have some unique and original aspect to them, that AJR magic touch. This was tremendously entertaining to watch you identify and overcome each challenge present by the design.

Very cool, man! Well done.

SR

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Andy, I'm a big fan of unique and original designs and builds...and this one stands tall in that category. I never had a doubt but that you could pull it off...with aplomb,naturally. Even your near replica builds always have some unique and original aspect to them, that AJR magic touch. This was tremendously entertaining to watch you identify and overcome each challenge present by the design.

Very cool, man! Well done.

SR

Thank you very much, Scott - it means a lot :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this - now named the Psilos Bass from a name competition held on basschat - has gone to Mick and I'm delighted to say he is delighted with it :thumb:

Here it is adorned with the DR Neon strings he sent me:

_MG_2602.thumb.JPG.946ff1cde26a90cb8c25fdcaef5b30c0.JPG

_MG_2606.thumb.JPG.8234dec2e79ae4801b1704113b5ec262.JPG

 

This was a little back support I added to keep the bone saddle upright - because the strings are tightened from this side, I was concerned they might over time drag the saddle out of square and enlarge the slot.  This works great :)

_MG_2597.thumb.JPG.632e88ee088fdc8ee382308281b14ec6.JPG

 

And, if you forgive the poor quality of the recording off my phone, here are a couple of video clips of Mick's first touch yesterday.

On the strap:

https://youtu.be/84asdOSV34g

And over the knee:

https://youtu.be/J_U9VkTxXos

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been away for a couple of weeks, so there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said either here or on basschat. What I will say though is that this is absolutely top drawer stuff and fantastic attention to detail. You've produced some pretty good guitars in the past, but this is streets ahead. I doff my cap to you :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Norris said:

I've been away for a couple of weeks, so there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said either here or on basschat. What I will say though is that this is absolutely top drawer stuff and fantastic attention to detail. You've produced some pretty good guitars in the past, but this is streets ahead. I doff my cap to you :)

Thanks, Norris :)   Very much appreciated

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, curtisa said:

Congrats on your win, @Andyjr1515. Your bendy, topsy-turvy bass creation finally cracked it :)

 

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Do you get the impression I'm pleased?

Clearly the tactic of shameless bribery and blackmail worked   :lol:.  The cheques are in the post and the dossiers have been shredded, folks :thumb:

Many thanks for the votes :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...