Nothing short of absolute insanity, and that's on many levels....both the effects you're pulling out of your chosen media and the tools you're using to shape heels, etc. 100 stitches eh? That's either commitment or a sign that one needs to be committed. <_<

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

100 stitches eh? That's either commitment or a sign that one needs to be committed. <_<

Both.  Haven't been bit in a long time, but when you use the tablesaw every day for 30 plus years, especially under the constant deadline gun of a small business, the bites happen when you least expect it.  The top most fearful cutting operations are styrofoam and Polycarbonate.  I cut all foam on my bandsaw now.  Cutting wood and plywood is a dream - its all the weird stuff that gets you.  

Will be casting the neck fingerboard in carbon fiber this week in my newer mold that replicates curly figure.  Can't wait.  

Thanks, Man!! It does get better, though.  I will be casting the epoxy / carbon fiber curly figure fingerboard blank over the next few days.  Here is the wild part: I will be casting Red Burl Dichrolam (which I also invented - inlay version used by PRS, Fender, Ritter, etc via Tom Schotland who invented the full inlay technology for the Burl line of Dichrolam) right into the carbon fiber directly, then radiusing the whole thing.  No routing out the inlay cavities.   Perfectly seamless between the Red Burl and the CF.  Then I bought a 4" diamond blade that is .030" thick, which I will use to cut the fret slots, then gluing the frets in.  Likely shoot 2K urethane first, cut and buff, then insert the frets.  All on Wenge fingerboard and neck (which will have unidirectional carbon fiber in the headstock scallops to match the CF in cutaway scallops).  

Totally original neck design, not to mention body design with this new stuff.  Then the Red Burl (in the 3mm thick acrylic version) will be lasered like the Gold Burl above, and trimmed with red anodized wire like the gold one above.    

The Red Candy CF quilt guitar will be "wrath of God" awesome.  I counted about six major design innovations on these guitars that are not seen in other guitars even without these innovative materials.  Back in January, after seeing such limited aesthetic designs from top luthiers and full on big companies, I decided that the guitar design community needed an enema, from a visual design perspective.  

Hopefully the figured carbon fiber / aramid fiber sheets will help introduce a new era in guitar design.   

The real obstacle is bringing it to market for commercial use I guess. Scaling something like this is quite the challenge. Then again, I bet people were saying the same thing about UV cure finishes, and that a 100A ballast is a bit of wrinkle in the transition from lab to shop. :D

• Like 1

@GregP! Wow, long time no see! I hope you're well and things are all good.

@StratsRdivine - either go to the menu at the top of the page and click Guitar Of The Month or go here:

http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/forum/72-current-guitar-of-the-month-contest/

I'm just about to close entry for this month and start the vote, however I'll open next month's entry at the same time....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StratsRdivine said:

Studio shots.  So do I apply for GOTM?  Maybe wait til I get the carbon fiber one done?  Kindof cheating since I'm not a true luthier, and using wild materials that I have a monopoly on.  

QuiltSilver-Boro-FullVert.JPG

QuiltSilver-Boro-Back-hornClsp.JPG

QuiltSilver-Boro-Burl-Clsp-right.JPG

QuiltSilver-Boro-Headstock.JPG

Wow!    That's got even more bling than the latest Audi models (and that's setting a high, high, bling standard!)  

I think we need a new descriptive word - bling doesn't even get close.  I just LOVE that double notch headstock..... :)

• Like 2

@Prostheta Things are great, thanks! It HAS been a long while. :) Hope things are good with you as well.

Really enjoying popping in here to see threads like this one. So many talented people out there.

• Like 1

Buffed the body on the second guitar in Red Candy burst over quilted carbon fiber.  Cleaning out some of the burrs from inside the switch screw hole openings, and my dremel rattled inside the hole beyond control and tore up the CF - really REALLY pissed me off.  So I put in dutchmans what will then be covered by a dog-bone shaped section of Red Burl, or just black domed epoxy - should look ok, hopefully.  

CF-Quilt-RedCandy-buffed.JPG

Cool news.  The president of the company that exclusively distributes for Floyd Rose, Schaller, Babicz, Pro Rock Gear and KTS Titanium saw the new knobs in Dichrolam (made with my stuff by a their accessories / knob maker, not sure if I can disclose his name), and was blown away - planning to pitch them to PRS (they already use Dichrolam in their bird inlays thanks to Tom Schotland's / Duke of Pearl luthier inlay version of Dichrolam - using my optical dichroic core within special inlay grade polymer sheets), and a ton other big guys at summer NAMM.  Also pitching my pick guards and sheets of Dichrolam like the one in my avatar.  Seems like making these guitars was a good idea.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, StratsRdivine said:

Cool news.  The president of the company that exclusively distributes for Floyd Rose, Schaller, Babicz, Pro Rock Gear and KTS Titanium saw the new knobs in Dichrolam (made with my stuff by a their accessories / knob maker, not sure if I can disclose his name), and was blown away - planning to pitch them to PRS (they already use Dichrolam in their bird inlays thanks to Tom Schotland's / Duke of Pearl luthier inlay version of Dichrolam - using my optical dichroic core within special inlay grade polymer sheets), and a ton other big guys at summer NAMM.  Also pitching my pick guards and sheets of Dichrolam like the one in my avatar.  Seems like making these guitars was a good idea.  

That's great news!  

• Like 1

So the Quilted Silver Boro guitar got a huge share of true testing this weekend in the hands of Steve Raz, the lucky guy that gets to virtually own it.  He played three shows with it (all sets, each show), and won't use his Les Paul Studio if my guitar is there - real nice gesture, too nice, yet he and the two separate seasoned sound guys had the same interesting comments - that it cuts through the mix better with crisper note distinction.  I initially just thought that they were just giving nice complements, since the guitar looks so cool, but after last nights show where the sound guy showed me the output graph, and explained it a bit, I am starting to think that maybe the scatterwound custom humbuckers are making the difference.  Read a lot more about them this morning.  What are your experiences with hand wounds?

The big show was Escape - the best Journey Tribute band, so lots of screaming Neil Schon solos.  Not going to dis Les Pauls (all hail king Gibson), but its good to see this as Steve's preferred guitar.  Of course one could make a great case for Les Pauls saying that it requires months of hand labor with the top custom hardware to make a guitar that barely eclipses a stock Gibson.  

EscapeShow-July1st.JPG

• Like 1

Sorry, a little more shameless self promotion:  Guys are always asking for spec sheets and features, so here is a doc that details the primary features of my first guitar.

Listen to it below - great solos at the 25 and 57 minute mark (all throughout is great, but its the whole 2 hour show)

Escape - Journey Tribute band with Steve Raz on John Blazy's Silver quilt custom guitar

BlazyGuitar-features-MedRez.JPG

Edited by StratsRdivine
inserted better diagram