Build 2 - Dan's LP JR Double Cut

46 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I knew I should have clarified "sticky". I was more concerned about the slickness as opposed to whether it had dried or not! 😁

It was actually very comfortable after I'd de-glossed it with some fine grit sanding (1800 iirc). However it might be some time before it's used in a proper gig situation. Personally I don't mind a gloss neck (I've played my Rickenbacker bass with its gloss painted neck on many gigs, including quite sweaty ones!). Dan, like a lot of people, prefers a matted finish.

So after some fettling with sanding beam, cabinet scraper and my favourite "sandpaper wrapped around a piece of D beading" I got it all nice and smooth to 400 grit. I dusted it off occasionally and played it (the strings have stayed on throughout, loosened for levelling, left under tension for detail sanding) to make sure any rough areas were addressed.

I've just put the first coat of Tru Oil on, applying and wiping for about 30 minutes to let it soak well in 

IMG-20200604-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.529c78cceac600354b527dcd48f589c7.jpeg

It's blended in rather well. It's amazing how much your confidence is boosted when you've done it before. It's actually a very nice finish to work with

I'll build up a few coats over the next few days, before I leave it to rest and then knock off the gloss 

• Like 1

Tru-Oil is very forgiving, yes. The only times when it becomes more problematic is when the bottle gets old, ie. the remaining oil is exposed to new oxygen with repeated opening. By this point the oil works differently, becomes a little "draggy" and the like. Fresh oil is really nice to add to a clean cloth and wipe on light films to bring out a nice gloss. As soon as it gets a bit old, far less so. Even after the first soak, that looks lovely.

Not too old, clearly! I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but splitting up a large bottle into containers with small air pockets extends useful lifetime. I've not gone to this length, but a gas like nitrogen or whatever mix is in "wine saver" evacuates the oxygen keeping it fresh. Nitrogen is lighter than air though, so maybe heavier CO2 would work better for this purpose by not floating out of an open bottle like nitrogen.

• Like 1

Best thing to do is snug up the adjuster nut so it's not loose and let it go into the owner's hands. It'll move and settle in best through use, not sat in an artificial non-use situation. 😉

I like compression rods when they're snugged up. Everything in the neck is in balance and generally they sound more lively to my ear.

It's all over. Neck finished off & handed back to Dan. He seems very pleased with it. 

To wrap up here are a few glamour shots (blatantly copy & pasted from my GOTM entry)

IMGP6337.thumb.JPG.1922aa440afd5bc6a67d20de1d206245.JPG

IMGP6300.thumb.JPG.dfec30dbbd94cf8c9e0a10fa6bb3db1b.JPG

IMGP6301.thumb.JPG.e66ca64a3f4f155fbd03a88db02ca1d2.JPG

IMGP6302.thumb.JPG.d4db6e54f39645ed07fa1cdbb73e9935.JPG

IMGP6305.thumb.JPG.aaf905157621fcb7ee50cc5754350dc6.JPG

IMGP6318.thumb.JPG.20a27262f721be8f3f8d3670abcea6c9.JPG

IMGP6298.thumb.JPG.7a23002ac1dc3a3d58f32f6cb4066668.JPG

IMGP6332.thumb.JPG.96f705b4ab627fdfded2849abbe449c6.JPG

Finally a "demo" video - although I think Dan has gone a little lockdown-crazy! He does eventually play the guitar if you persevere :D

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Wow. I only wish I could build something as clean and perfect as that. I always end up leaving beauty spots here and there....

"beauty spots" ... that's a good way to spin it positive and I will now steal this phrase :)

`Dan's wig is loose... Either it's too big or his head has shrunk in the summer heat. That's the only negative thing I can find in that build!

• Haha 1

OK - when they take Dan away...can I have the guitar? :)

And presumably he was a young man when you started this?  ;) 

It looks absolutely splendid!  And whilst clearly completely round the hat-rack, Dan's a really good player too.  Sounds scrumptious. :) 

• Thanks 1