Build 2 - Dan's LP JR Double Cut

• 4 weeks later...

Well we're back at class, so a minor update. Making a template for the headstock using one of my favourite tools - a 'D' profile sanding block/stick. It's great for fine tuning after the spindle sander, eyes closed and feeling for irregularities 

20180416_202611.thumb.jpg.c23dce75a1540eaa70b40a3cad7f68a8.jpg

We also have some P90 pickups that the "client" bought. Iron Gear Platinum 90's, that my instructor immediately described as cheap Chinese crap :D Well as long as my guitarist likes them...

That means I could motor on if I could spare the time - which I can't at the moment. This build seems even slower than the first one!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Norris said:

Well we're back at class, so a minor update. Making a template for the headstock using one of my favourite tools - a 'D' profile sanding block/stick. It's great for fine tuning after the spindle sander, eyes closed and feeling for irregularities 

20180416_202611.thumb.jpg.c23dce75a1540eaa70b40a3cad7f68a8.jpg

We also have some P90 pickups that the "client" bought. Iron Gear Platinum 90's, that my instructor immediately described as cheap Chinese crap :D Well as long as my guitarist likes them...

That means I could motor on if I could spare the time - which I can't at the moment. This build seems even slower than the first one!

I was looking at the piece of wood in the foreground wondering how on earth would you use that to sand a headstock...then I noticed the stick in the background :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Tonight I finished tidying the template and went for it trimming the headstock. I trimmed off the excess on the bandsaw, then did the end cross-grain curves on the spindle sander. A router would have been guaranteed to chip out. I then also used the spindle sander to blend the run-in and run-out ends of the side curves to further reduce chance of chips. Then I ran the router down the curves with no problems. Finally a bit of time with a half-round needle file to tidy the a-hem "cleavage" and...

20180423_205554.thumb.jpg.f151791dd1ab65c2fb459b05cf382e1c.jpg

20180423_214144.thumb.jpg.d2e854de79d026ed0a5090ca43b432f5.jpg

The inlays should arrive this week. I'm amazed at how quickly the chap has cut the MOP, and how affordable it was for the large amount of work involved. I'll therefore recommend Small Wonder Music here in the UK. To be fair he was recommended by my instructor, and his recommendation carries a little more weight than mine :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Norris said:

Tonight I finished tidying the template and went for it trimming the headstock. I trimmed off the excess on the bandsaw, then did the end cross-grain curves on the spindle sander. A router would have been guaranteed to chip out. I then also used the spindle sander to blend the run-in and run-out ends of the side curves to further reduce chance of chips. Then I ran the router down the curves with no problems. Finally a bit of time with a half-round needle file to tidy the a-hem "cleavage" and...

20180423_205554.thumb.jpg.f151791dd1ab65c2fb459b05cf382e1c.jpg

20180423_214144.thumb.jpg.d2e854de79d026ed0a5090ca43b432f5.jpg

The inlays should arrive this week. I'm amazed at how quickly the chap has cut the MOP, and how affordable it was for the large amount of work involved. I'll therefore recommend Small Wonder Music here in the UK. To be fair he was recommended by my instructor, and his recommendation carries a little more weight than mine :)

Very neat work indeed, @Norris  :)

I use Small Wonder for my dots, etc but have always assumed custom inlays would be unaffordable.  I might make some enquiries for my swifts...

18 hours ago, ScottR said:

I see you are working with your normal high standards of cleanness and attention to detail.

SR

Thanks. It didn't turn out bad. Lots of detail sanding to come yet though.

The inlays are in the postal system. I know I'm not likely to be fitting them for a little time yet, but I'm looking forward to that

1 hour ago, Mr Natural said:

whats with you English guys and no sawdust you bunch of neat freaks. Kidding of course. Nice clean work Norris. Keep it up. 

Like I've always said; control it at the source rather than deal with it after the fact. Dust is what kills people like me who work in wood trades.

....or is this me defending Norris by providing a convenient excuse? 🚮

The neatness is kind of out of necessity. If you notice, the very tips of the headstock, for about 1mm at the widest part, are still the original planed edges. I had absolutely no spare wood to play with, so couldn't afford to get it wrong :D

As for the lack of dust, we are lucky enough to have a router station with full vacuum bed at the college where the classes are held :)

I'm loving the inlays. Mike Reid at Small Wonder Music (I'll admit the website could be a little better, but check out the Custom Work area) has done a fabulous job of them - they are quite intricate, mainly out of MOP and with a smidge of paua and coral. No, you can't see them yet! :D

Not much to update this week. I got the neck tenon cut to length, then started on the neck pocket template. Sounds like hardly anything, but there was a lot of measuring & re-measuring :D. Not worth a photo though. As usual, I'm taking my time sanding the template to fit the tenon

I'm rather pleased. The cheap far-Eastern end mills that I bought from eBay have arrived a lot sooner than expected. 

20180504_075710.thumb.jpg.a66416871e1aa3649850de35ba841670.jpg

They are 1mm and 2mm downcut end mills that should fit in my Dremel 3.2mm chuck. They look rather good quality actually and feel nice and sharp. 

20180504_075626.thumb.jpg.b4f7e8d807afe6a4e7303f66a2c07ccf.jpg

I'll let you know how I get on when I do the inlay recesses

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I used those in my pantograph until I found that the spindle runout caused a 1,0mm cutter to leave over a 1,5mm radius hole. It also causes them to break easily, so go slow and take several passes!

Watching your last cutter flex momentarily and then snap is a wonderful 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

What can you do in 2 hours?

Finish sanding the neck template...

20180514_200210.thumb.jpg.0b315f9cd26a599368c6db82851636e0.jpg

Stick it to the body using @Prostheta's favourite method of masking tape and CA...

20180514_201629.thumb.jpg.70caa8cefd2b81faffbe46d34dfe9c1f.jpg

Then remove the excess with a forstener bit...

20180514_203642.thumb.jpg.c6e649030e36aac68457a9050d20424c.jpg

And finally discover that we've only got stubby top bearing bits at class, so the routing will have to wait until next week!

On 5/4/2018 at 3:53 AM, Prostheta said:

go slow and take several passes!

Your advice should be a mantra for probably everyone in here on most operations.  I'm always amazed at the self-restraint of people! My routers hate me and my demands placed on them.

• Like 1