Build 2 - Dan's LP JR Double Cut

• 2 months later...

I've not updated for a while as I've been busy over the summer, plus it's been too darned hot in the garage. Anyway as it's cooled down a bit and I'm off work with the tail end of a heavy cold, I've started dabbling with the headstock inlay. I've never done an inlay before, so it would make sense to do something simple? Nope, I don't take the easy path. I've got a nice scripty "Norris" made up. So scripty that it's nigh on impossible to do the usual stick it on and score round it method. 

So we're taking a different approach and I thought I'd share my thoughts. No photos in this update as I'd like to save that for the reveal later.

Anyway, I originally designed the logo on my computer using Inkscape, then sent the design off to be cut. Great I thought. If I print out an address label with the design, I can stick it to my test piece, rout the black areas with the Dremel, Stewmac base and 1mm milling bit. The MOP should then drop in.

The routing was fiddly, but pretty successful. 

Only... the MOP doesn't drop straight in. It's been made by a human being not a computer! The design is on the edge of what is possible to cut, and although he's done a fabulous job, it's not exact to the original design. 

So here are my next thoughts. I think the address label idea has legs. What I've done now is to line the actual MOP up as closely as possible on a print out of the design, then stick a piece of blue (for contrast) masking tape over the top to hold them in alignment. Next will be to scan that into the computer, tweak it to black on white in inkscape again, then print another label and have another go on my test piece.

It's almost too easy! :D

Edit: 25 minutes later and I've got a test print that looks crack on. I'm a computer wizard sometimes :D Now where did I put those labels...

The second test rout has given me confidence that the process is sound. I just need to rout a little bit over the edge to allow for the scanning inaccuracies. The main problem seems to be getting a nice balance between getting the label to stick enough to stay put when I'm sliding the router base over it, but not too much that it pulls wood fibres away when I peel it off afterwards. That, and the variability of wood grain in a natural material - the milling bit does want to wander.

I might try one more test first :)

Gah! There's still too much fettling involved. Scanning the MOP was a decent idea, but it seems that it's too reflective to give an accurate scan of the edges. I'm therefore having to fine tune the rout to such a degree that the letters are likely to end up crooked. 

Plan B - back-to-back masking tape with CA, stick the MOP down, cut it out with a scalpel, rout out the negative when the MOP and masking tape is removed, leaving the rest of the masking tape in place.

I'm glad I tried it on a practice piece!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 2:39 PM, Norris said:

Gah! There's still too much fettling involved. Scanning the MOP was a decent idea, but it seems that it's too reflective to give an accurate scan of the edges. I'm therefore having to fine tune the rout to such a degree that the letters are likely to end up crooked. 

Plan B - back-to-back masking tape with CA, stick the MOP down, cut it out with a scalpel, rout out the negative when the MOP and masking tape is removed, leaving the rest of the masking tape in place.

I'm glad I tried it on a practice piece!

What was the conclusion?

• 4 weeks later...

It continues slowly...

Following the summer break I finished slotting the fretboard. I was certain I'd cut more - but apparently not. They are not fully to depth yet, but I'll do that after radiusing

And just this evening I've finally routed for the neck pickup 

20181022_194219(0).thumb.jpg.574d78fafe32ff8e9deb93baddeaa3ca.jpg

20181022_212947.thumb.jpg.8236636470e86513d1d00c9c7f820dad.jpg

20181022_212936.thumb.jpg.7d0edd1cd2c27abcbdfdc167f4e646f5.jpg

I also planed/sanded the end of the neck tenon level with the body and will glue in a wedge under the fretboard heel after I've done a cleanup on the sanding table - that will be the last chance to do so while the surface is flat

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Norris said:

It continues slowly...

Following the summer break I finished slotting the fretboard. I was certain I'd cut more - but apparently not. They are not fully to depth yet, but I'll do that after radiusing

And just this evening I've finally routed for the neck pickup 

20181022_194219(0).thumb.jpg.574d78fafe32ff8e9deb93baddeaa3ca.jpg

20181022_212947.thumb.jpg.8236636470e86513d1d00c9c7f820dad.jpg

20181022_212936.thumb.jpg.7d0edd1cd2c27abcbdfdc167f4e646f5.jpg

I also planed/sanded the end of the neck tenon level with the body and will glue in a wedge under the fretboard heel after I've done a cleanup on the sanding table - that will be the last chance to do so while the surface is flat

Neat work :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Neat work :)

Indeed.

15 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It continues slowly...

And indeed.:)

I was just remembering this build the other day....."oh yeah. what happened to that". (That was me remembering this build).

It is good to see proof of life.:D

SR

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, ScottR said:

Indeed.

And indeed.:)

I was just remembering this build the other day....."oh yeah. what happened to that". (That was me remembering this build).

It is good to see proof of life.:D

SR

I see that @Andyjr1515 is taking credit for my quotes again :D

Thanks anyway. If it stuck in your mind I must be doing something right :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Your work's come a long way. Ever look back at how it used to be?

I did revisit my first build thread a few months ago when I refreshed the pictures that PhotoBucket knobbled. It seems like I've come a long way, but then not so far either :) I'll be glad when I can spend more time on it - then I might remember what on earth I'm supposed to be doing half the time :D

This one is starting to come together nicely though. Glad I got that sanding done on the body - the mucky finger marks were starting to get to me. That, and the remaining imperfections from initial planing. It's nice and smooth now apart from a few nicks round the edge. They will go when I roundover the edges soon

Edit: To be honest it's been lovely spending the day making sawdust instead of de-greasing engine parts. I gave myself the day off :D

• Like 1