Build 2 - Dan's LP JR Double Cut

well your next move is obvious, inlay a dragon into the fretboard and have it's tail finish between the pickups to hide the whoopsie 😁 

going back to one of your previous comments 1/2" drill bits are impossible to get in the UK - for a previous build I got a PRS adjustable stoptail bridge that didnt come with wells, I had to sauce the correct wells for USA, got the wells and it required a 1/2" drill bit, which I bought and it turned out to be a 12.5mm drill bit, I tapped the wells in anyway as that was the closest I could get, but the brass wells compressed and I was barely able to get the bridge in, nightmare. I've now bought new wells and matching studs which require 11mm holes. I seems to go through similar annoyances every time I try to install a different bridge to the last one. 

On 12/3/2018 at 3:40 PM, Norris said:

So, one quick and cheap Ebay purchase later, we have a 1/2" drill bit. And we have some correct sized holes

20181203_191156.thumb.jpg.bd8bae74ec0231b00cc046bfbcb91994.jpg

Although the body wood looks mahogany-ish, it's relatively less dense - lighter and softer. I can't remember the name of it. To make sure the inserts sit firmly I wicked CA around the holes (the above picture was before the CA wicking)

Then it was pretty straightforward to clamp my template on and route the bridge pickup cavity. The depth was adjusted to the neck angle - 15mm this time. 

20181203_202926.thumb.jpg.92b6d37a4f00ee7c9c8dd4c70d9a1042.jpg

(Only the pickup covers shown there. I've not sunk them that deep!)

Now you may be wondering what that small hole is doing just in front of the bridge pickup. Erm, it's a slight miscalculation screwing the template to the body blank when I first shaped it. Oh well. There are options though, depending on which finish we settle on. If painted solid colour, I'll plug it and it will be blended with the grain filling. Whether painted or not there's a fair chance it will have a scratch plate covering it. Personally my preferred option is to stay with a natural/dyed finish, and I have something in mind for that option too :)

I dunno man... that tail piece might be a little high.  (jk - looking good!)

• Haha 1

I was feeling a bit tired tonight from a lot of walking at the weekend, so decided not to tackle anything that needed too much accuracy. I did a bit of sanding and scraping, first on the back of the headstock. There was a step from the resaw cut I did, so I blended that somewhat with the spindle sander. Then in with the sanding block to remove the resaw marks

20181210_214140.thumb.jpg.76d4f7bed5635bfbf4033482284246d1.jpg

Then I ended up sanding the edge of the body, especially the end grain.

That's it for this term. The workshop is closed for Santa's elves to get busy. Back in the new year, unless I can sneak a bit of garage time over the holidays :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the workshop for dot inlays 

20190107_194940.thumb.jpg.9e437c11a6bc7e9e92d67e7e4511e25d.jpg

20190107_204150.thumb.jpg.d7afb49685520bdb12c3659706b32616.jpg

Following the advice of my instructor, I drilled 0.1mm deeper than the thickness of the dots (1.6mm). I then squirted in a bit of CA, waited a few moments then tapped the dots in with a small hammer, leaving them very slightly proud - just enough to feel, but probably less than a hair's width. That was enough to give a little squeeze out. They ended up a nice snug fit, so when the glue had dried I dressed them to the level of the fretboard.

Next week is the 12th fret monogram inlay that I've been procrastinating about :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Norris said:

Back in the workshop for dot inlays 

20190107_194940.thumb.jpg.9e437c11a6bc7e9e92d67e7e4511e25d.jpg

20190107_204150.thumb.jpg.d7afb49685520bdb12c3659706b32616.jpg

Following the advice of my instructor, I drilled 0.1mm deeper than the thickness of the dots (1.6mm). I then squirted in a bit of CA, waited a few moments then tapped the dots in with a small hammer, leaving them very slightly proud - just enough to feel, but probably less than a hair's width. That was enough to give a little squeeze out. They ended up a nice snug fit, so when the glue had dried I dressed them to the level of the fretboard.

Next week is the 12th fret monogram inlay that I've been procrastinating about :)

Very neat (he says through gritted teeth)

:rock

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mistermikev said:

very nice work.  I dunno if I missed it... did you say what color?

It's "wood" colour at the moment. Goodness only knows what it will end up as :D

I'm still waiting for a decision from my guitarist on that. Current favourite is "tv yellow" 🤮

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norris said:

It's "wood" colour at the moment. Goodness only knows what it will end up as :D

I'm still waiting for a decision from my guitarist on that. Current favourite is "tv yellow" 🤮

I knew it was wood color now was just wondering what the final would be.  I recently saw a tv yellow lp jr build that they had done checking on and it was really sweet looking.  never like that color but for some reason with the relicing it looked great.  Also a big fan of the gibby red.  I'm sure it will be a beauty whatever you choose!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't too well last week, being shattered from being up half the night with a cough. Better this week, so finally made a start on my first ever inlay. Boy it's awkward trying to score round the inlays. Even with 3M double sided tape it slid around a little and left sticky gunk behind. Luckily that was soon sorted with a spot of white spirit. 

So, laying out...

20190121_190919.thumb.jpg.f5f14881b35f627f9903910a50f963ad.jpg

And then the first rout done...

20190121_205921.thumb.jpg.9a2f3defafb28741a6db07bd4bfc9460.jpg

It needs a little fettling with a chisel, but not bad for a first attempt. The "D" might be a little more challenging, but I ran out of time this week to do any more 

Oh I should mention, I did it with my Dremel, Stewmac router base and a fine end mill bit

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Norris said:

I wasn't too well last week, being shattered from being up half the night with a cough. Better this week, so finally made a start on my first ever inlay. Boy it's awkward trying to score round the inlays. Even with 3M double sided tape it slid around a little and left sticky gunk behind. Luckily that was soon sorted with a spot of white spirit. 

So, laying out...

20190121_190919.thumb.jpg.f5f14881b35f627f9903910a50f963ad.jpg

And then the first rout done...

20190121_205921.thumb.jpg.9a2f3defafb28741a6db07bd4bfc9460.jpg

It needs a little fettling with a chisel, but not bad for a first attempt. The "D" might be a little more challenging, but I ran out of time this week to do any more 

Oh I should mention, I did it with my Dremel, Stewmac router base and a fine end mill bit

looks like you are the pro now... how long is appropriate to wait before I start asking advice?  seriously, nice work.

5 hours ago, mistermikev said:

looks like you are the pro now... how long is appropriate to wait before I start asking advice?  seriously, nice work.

Ha ha. Thanks 

I just wish I had more time to spend on it. Half the time I feel like I'm re-learning stuff I should know because I don't do it often enough to become familiar. I'm just glad that my instructor is on hand 

• Like 1

Looks awesome, kudos for attempting that design for your first inlay! I found the easiest way to stick and score round them is to just stick them down with a tiny blob of superglue which holds it down more securely than tape and you can see the wood you're score instead of tape.  You can normally get a scalpel under it to prise it off if it won't just twist away but if that doesn't work, a drop of acetone softens the glue, and it doesnt matter if the super glue leaves a mark on the fretboard because that area will be removed anyway 👍

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2019 at 3:23 PM, ScottR said:

I, for one, am not at all shocked that your first attempt came off so nicely. Did you cut the MOP as well (I no longer remember if you've already said so or not.....it's not as though I last read this thread yesterday:D)? If so, double kudos!

SR

No. I got a chap who knew what he was doing to do it :D

• Like 1

great work so far Norris.

On 1/22/2019 at 2:39 AM, Norris said:

I just wish I had more time to spend on it. Half the time I feel like I'm re-learning stuff I should know because I don't do it often enough to become familiar. 

slow and steady wins the race(at least that is what I tell myself)seriously- even after a couple dozen instruments over a couple dozen years or more-I am constantly having to take a min and rethink stuff all the time. Here is the real kicker -in cleaning my workshop this weekend-I came across 3 jigs I had saved- and I have no freaking idea what the hell they are for. i sorta think I know what one of them is for- but- honestly-not sure and cant even remember what instrument I used it on. So there you go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

Here is the real kicker -in cleaning my workshop this weekend-I came across 3 jigs I had saved- and I have no freaking idea what the hell they are for. i sorta think I know what one of them is for- but- honestly-not sure and cant even remember what instrument I used it on. So there you go. 

That's where a Sharpie marker pen comes in handy :)

2 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

Here is the real kicker -in cleaning my workshop this weekend-I came across 3 jigs I had saved- and I have no freaking idea what the hell they are for. i sorta think I know what one of them is for- but- honestly-not sure and cant even remember what instrument I used it on. So there you go. 

When you need them, you'll know what they're for :D

Tonight I did a bit of fettling with some fine chisels, then set about the "D" with the Dremel router 

20190128_195751.thumb.jpg.7f854d8ebc8249b66cacaa1d5c44bea3.jpg

It looks a bit rough and gappy until you drop the inlays in 

20190128_195805.thumb.jpg.0656552764b075aae46ffc18350d2b44.jpg

So with a mixture of about 60% epoxy and 40% ebony dust I glued those baby in

20190128_201218.thumb.jpg.ddcfc9c964ab8f5e3527487502fc2ff5.jpg

That will look nice sanded flat 

20190128_201702.thumb.jpg.40319dfe3b6a42157e4ea8e95dfb00f8.jpg

• Like 2

I've taken a couple of days off work to use up some annual leave. So following the coldest night so far this winter, the fan heater has stopped working on the car so I can't defrost the window. Yay - nice relaxing day trying to fix that! Anyhow, I did knock back the epoxy around the inlay. 

20190131_094436.thumb.jpg.0e53b14229d8845f77a49dea94c0489a.jpg

I think that should look ok

Obviously I've still got a fair bit to take off the board while getting the radius sanded. That's the job for Monday night 

• Like 1