Limba 6 Multiscale Filter'Tron

I like grain filling both to achieve a flatter finish and to add contrast from the pores to the wood itself. That said, I also like the look of an old nitro finish on Mahogany where the pores start to express themselves. Mirror finishes aren't the be-all and end-all.

On 6/20/2018 at 5:32 PM, charisjapan said:

@Prostheta, I envy a place that has any kind of 2K aerosol ... Just nothing like that available here. Nothing like that can be sent here, and can’t bring it on an airplane ... even in Hawaii, my usual port-of-call in the U.S., nothing like that is available.  I will just have to make do with what I have!  Fortunately, I know that this 1K urethane will become very hard and tough eventually.  I used it on the Chinaberry bass, just two coats, no sanding or polishing, and it’s hard as a rock, and resists buckle rash admirably.  This is the first time to try and be a bit more fancy.

Good luck with the aerosol being usable in a week.  That would be amazing!  The stuff I’m using now is okay for a week, but beyond that it’s in the bin.

I'm evaluating it on a number of fronts. Few of these clearcoats are simple or foolproof, let's put it that way. They have to do a number of things which are directly contrary to their end purpose, such as having a shelf-life, being pre-mixed, etc. The evaluation is testing what happens slightly outside of the usage guidelines and more towards our own purposes. Let's see....

• Like 1

I masked the neck pocket, but didn't want the paint to "wall up" so left a few millimeters, which cleaned up nicely with a card scraper.  Neck fit in nicely, tight, but not "force-it" tight. Zero movement even without bolts, but decide to use them anyway 😜.

42111734075_d5e40d892d_b.jpg

42111771005_48d913be00_b.jpg

41203756500_86e7f125ff_b.jpg

Lovely! You've had a really consistent aesthetic running through this from the outside to the details such as the shaped recesses for the pots. The jack might not be the most practical in terms of repair going forward (don't set it down with a cable in!) but everything is internally consistent. Fantastic.

9 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Lovely! You've had a really consistent aesthetic running through this from the outside to the details such as the shaped recesses for the pots. The jack might not be the most practical in terms of repair going forward (don't set it down with a cable in!) but everything is internally consistent. Fantastic.

Thank you, kind sir!

After playing an active circuit MusicMan bass for years, I always pull the plug to keep from draining battery ... good habit to have with this guitar. 

The paint seems to be quite dry, no evidence of out-gassing by smell. But as a 1K, it will surely continue to sink.  I don't mind, and as Limba is so incredibly soft, I imagine it will get dented pretty easily.  I love the look and feel, so a "slow-relic" will just make it better!  😉

I'd imagine so as well. Guitars with finishes that compliment the wood and age alongside it are the most characterful. I love my Ibanez S however its finish really isn't going to do it any favours going forward. If it were nitro rather than some crosslinked polymer....

It Lives! 

As expected (er, hoped), minimal setup needed. Intonation was spot-on, pickup height to TV Jones spec was perfect.  In fact, since I had not looked at their spec before and set height like a S-D, the bridge now sounds better than before.  Controls work nicely, but I may want to use push-pulls to give me and off option for the treble-bleed.  It rocks maybe too much, and needs a bit of taming for blues.  "Course, I haven't even fiddled with the amp yet, so maybe no need.

Tale of the Scale: it weighs 13 grams more at 3,738 grams or 8 pounds 3-1/2 ounces.  I'm not disappointed, as it feels nice, and is certainly not heavyweight for what it is. The balance is nice, the ergonomics great, and tucks under arm just right.  Calling it a WIN!

😁

28146733777_92f80e9586_b.jpg

41205304760_75cca6160a_b.jpg

41205406500_ba5818ce78_b.jpg

42296933254_8a35d1d5f2_b.jpg

28145988717_81765f6239_b.jpg

Heady Company!

Not one bit ashamed to put this on my wall alongside my favs ... and happy to say that through my 5C1 amp and using my homebrew fuzz+dirt pedal, it Rocks AND Blues (new verb) nicely.  Plays nicely with my new toy, a Morley Bad Horsie 😁.

42173631635_1bfa7563b7_b.jpg

• Like 1