Limba 6 Multiscale Filter'Tron

Thank you @Prostheta!  Well, until now all I had was hearsay, but I can now say from experience that Wenge is REALLY splintery! (ouch!)

A fellow on another forum posted a link to some incredible wood-bound fretboards, which got me to thinking how smooth the Padauk cut.  So I did a little experiment, trying to cut a 1mm piece off another neck blank, and but cutting one side at a time, went really well.  What do you think about pinstripes?  I mostly worried about sanding down the radius ... wont that red dust get into the Wenge grain?

35113163684_b55ab2d96c_b.jpg

35912083976_f6443e984c_b.jpg

The dust will get in there, however the larger problem is the oil which makes the dust so problematic. Wengé should be less prone to discolouration (compressed air in the pores and you're fine) but lighter-coloured woods....? That's when it turns everything pink! Just be careful with that compressed air if you use it though. Don't give yourself an air embolism directing it at your skin, and don't blow the workpiece to bits blasting powerful jets into Wengé's monster-sized pores!

So decided to go for the pinstripe Padauk/Wenge binding.  All was fine in the theory stage, but when it came time to flip the router switch to cut off 3mm on each side of the fretboard (point of no return ... up to now I could always bail out and just show the fret tangs or nip them and fill with sawdust) ... got a bit anxious.  After all the work cutting those frets!!!

Manned up, and trimmed the board.  Never imagined luthiery would require such heroism! ;):P

That 25mm deep flush trim bit is one of the best investments ... at $30 (compared to a cheapo $10 piece of junk), this consistently makes nice smooth edges, and handled the Wenge with no chipout or burns.  Was surprised, honestly, and those fret slots really looked like potential trouble.

Got my first pinstripe in ... Yay! :):D

:cheers2:

35586047010_bb69cffaa4_b.jpg

35842450981_7ea3568a97_b.jpg

35935506996_81ae322430_b.jpg

Gaaaaahhhhh!

Glued one side of the Padauk pinstripe, and though I thought I was being careful with the glue, it wicked up the fret slots something fierce!!  Nearly reached for a blowtorch. :mad:  Knowing that if I left it to dry, it would be a bear to remove later, I grabbed a piece of sheet paper, folded it in half, and ran it up the slot to kind of push/scoop it out ... 26 times.  On the other side, same thing happened, but I was ready and had 30 little pieces cut and folded ... worked a lot better second time.  After trimming the bottom, glued one side of the Wenge, so that I can get final measurement and the heel piece.  You can see it in the last picture, it's 1mm too wide, but wanted to measure off the actual finished line before trying to remove precisely 1mm.  ;);)

Tomorrow

35157739374_3d4f6fec79_b.jpg

35157743654_f8c5cd26f0_b.jpg

35826721732_f1ca57c594_b.jpg

35188397913_3d237831aa_b.jpg
  • Like 1

Ouch, I've been there myself. Quick tip; take a credit card and carefully drill a ~1/4" hole near an edge. Use a sander to thin it down a hair from the 0,76mm standard to about 0,5mm. Enough to fit within a fret slot. Then use scissors to cut along one side across the hole you drilled to make a hook. A figuratively-instant fret slot cleaning tool. Of course, if you have some 0,5mm plastic then that's fine too....credit-like cards are pretty much free.

• Like 1

I've often wondered if making fret dams or plugs out of plastic would be worthwhile. They would be the length of the slot and the width of the slot and stick out maybe a quarter inch above the board. Plug all the slots and glue up and then pull the lugs as the glue sets up and quits flowing. There might be a little clean left to do, but it shouldn't be much.

SR

Thanks for reading and commenting, guys!  I haven't been participating much in everyone else's threads much ... a bit focused on working in the shop as time allows, and posting my progress ... but I have been lurking.  :wave:

So ... glued bottom and other side of Wenge this morning, then pulled the clamps off and cleaned up the top a bit. The whole thing must be thicknessed from the present 9mm to about 6mm, and the top has to be radiused. About 1/2" (12mm) will be cut off each end and both sides thinned about 2mm after gluing this to the neck.

Which means a lot more to go, but I'm really happy the "fanned" frets are done, and my pinstriped wood binding seems to have worked out nicely. :cheers2:

35204676153_3a1c7238dc_b.jpg

35977308216_9f7a0e3508_b.jpg

35629472090_e9b2e9d532_b.jpg

35208343193_0d87e1d3fe_b.jpg
  • Like 1

Dots!!

At another forum buddy's suggestion, I re-thought my idea that dots are boring.  (that, and special-design, custom-made fret markers for a multiscale would be a real chore)  He uses a wood dowel inside an aluminum tube!

First, I went on a tangent and tried a clear acrylic dot, so you can see the wood below. It works, but I have carbon fiber rods below, so that won't look nice on this guitar. Maybe next one? ... ;) (btw, I can get the clear a lot more clear, but was too lazy)

So back to the wood-in-a-metal-tube, I tried brass, to compliment the brass but I plan on using. I gotta say, I kinda like this one!  :thumb:

The first picture is the plug-boring tool I made to cut the center wood ... it's just the same brass tube with "cutters" I ground into it with a file. It's brass, so is soft and clogs easily, but I just take the file and dress it a bit every mm or so.  Good thing I only have to make 10 of these! :p

35977310546_05792ac312_b.jpg

35977312946_6fe861eea8_b.jpg

35179348214_977bb3e7fd_b.jpg

35977314816_4fd4482922_b.jpg
  • Like 1

If you have ever wondered what 2.5mm of Wenge (and a little Padauk) looks like in powdered form, with a few card scraper shavings  ... this.  Minus what went on the floor, in the air, and embedded in my mask. ;);)

I was thinking of alternative ways to do this (router sled, handplanes, focused neutron energy ...) but all promised disaster/splinters/tearout/WWIII, so instead of thinking, just slapped on some #60 and went to it.  Yeah, it took an hour, but "just do it" was probably the shorter option ... and gained incredible muscle tone in my forearms! (bonus)  The card scraper was last, just to see what the wood looks like planed.  The board is now a bit less than 7mm, and pretty flat.  Will probably take it down to 6.5mm, then radius.

35995675176_28be03bb0c_b.jpg

35197736624_909c7ffd8f_b.jpg

35903476581_c957a8f16b_b.jpg
  • Like 1

Finally~! Started work on the body. I was bidding on a 10" bandsaw, so was holding off ... the $600 saw went for $550 the last 20 minutes. WAY outta my budget, so will have to save some more sheckels or, like today, make do with my trusty 20 year old Ryobi jigsaw. Tried a super sharp fine blade that was completely defeated by the Limba. Found this Bosch "Speed for Wood" blade, and it worked, but still took 45 minutes. After that, another 45 minutes on the spindle sander ... along with my fretboard thicknessing saga this morning, I am going to feel this later. (sigh) Anyway, as I was sanding the body edges in preparation for routing from the template, I got carried away and just sanded precisely to the line, and then spent another hour using a sanding block. The Limba was so nice to sand! (I know a lot of folks don't like sanding, but ... I do!)

Feeling good for some progress that looks like progress! :):D

And having dithered over finish, I bought some Odie's Oil today. It will have to go to Hawaii (won't ship to Japan), so I won't have it until I go there to see my kids and grandkids (#3 due in September). Thank you  @KnightroExpressfor the idea.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG] 

• Like 2