Help with a Craftsman band saw.

Fanatic1

First is that an old blade?  Is it on correctly? Hard to tell from your vid but it sounds like the blade is installed with the teeth running backwards,. A better picture of a close up would help. Also is it properly tensioned? Again hard to tell with out some more info and pictures of the blade, guides and such.

1 hour ago, mattharris75 said:

I'd replace the blade, first thing. Hard to tell from the video but the teeth look odd. Blunted, possibly. 

There may be other things going on with the guides or guide adjustment, but getting a decent blade is a good first step.

That is a better view.

Its acting like the blade is on backwards. The teeth should be pointing down. Its a new to you tool so I'd personally start with a new blade. I'm also guessing thats a 3/4" blade. Theres no one perfect does-it-all blade but if you're going to be using this for luthiery and will be getting just one new blade, I'd recommend something a bit smaller for an all around blade like a 1/2" or 3/8" w 6-8 TPI. Timber-wolf makes some pretty decent blades that won't hurt your wallet too badly.  

The vibration could be lots of things. Check your tires to see if they have any gunky sawdust buildup on them and if so, clean em off.  That includes underneath the tires. A stifftooth brush and some warm water will help. While you have them off check and see if they are worn. Check the pulleys and the drive belt for gunk too. (Unplug that bad boy before doing any of this). Spin your wheels and see if they are true. Make sure the wheels are tight and that there isn't any play on the wheel bearings (possible worn bearings). This won't be causing vibration but check your guide bearings while your at it. They should move freely. If not, replace them. 

Lastly check out this video from Alex Snodgrass. The man preaches truth. Pretty much the defacto video for bandsaw setup IMHO. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Band+Saw+Clinic+with+Alex+Snodgrass

• Like 1

The belt does not appear to be on correctly. I should not be overhanging the pulley? Also a blade that size is a very large blade for the saw. Did you check wheels for coplaner? Also do they have wobble in them?  As suggested I would replace the blade with something like a Timberwolf. 1/4" , 4 to 6 TPI would work well ( I have even used 12 TPI for clean resaw of maple). It seems also that your blade is not running true on the wheels. The crown of your tires may be part of the problem as well. I know others have suggested a 3/8" blade. Sorry Guys A well tuned saw and a 1/4" is all that is needed. I have been using one for resawing Hard maple for many years to get bookmatched tops. I have a 14" with 6" riser 105" blade. I get consistent 1/16" slices  if I want. I have tuned many saws over the years for Woodcraft customers as well as Laguna and Jet Customers. I was also offered the job to be the Jet onsite repair for Texas. I turned that down.

MK

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I agree with all of the above. I don't believe that saws of that price tier/modernity are as easy to maintain or fettle as others. Unless the basic setup and adjustment tips mentioned exorcise this issue, it might be something that just has to be accepted with this saw.

First thing I would do would be to remove the table and check that the wheels are coplanar with a straightedge. If that can't be adjusted out, there's a problem right there. It'll eat bearings and make any sort of good setup less than possible.