Full split coil + pup selector with 3 DPDT (on-on-on)

psikoT

Hi there,

I've recently seen a video in youtube where a guy explains how to split the humbuckers, where one can select both coils from a humbucker separately, getting two single coils from each humbucker. The guy uses a standard 3 way selector to switch between pickups, and two DPDT (on-off-on) to split each humbucker. This is his diagram:

967d7d4d-d624-4518-99ab-580d72a5b6f7_zpsdc9bd476.thumb.jpg.6d43c8d0e262ff892260707aa5888e41.jpg

I was thinking on doing something similar, but using 3 DPDT (on-on-on) instead... so one of the DPDT would act like the pickup selector and the other two will split each humbucker.

To be honest, I have no idea about electronics... I wanted to ask if someone can just draw the wiring over this template I've made: :blush

electronics.thumb.jpg.790e9b35c882d256255dca86031867a9.jpg

You can find more info about the pickup color code here:

http://www.tonerider.com/files/humbucker-wiring.pdf

Thans in advance!

Beer please:

electronics.jpg

The actual grounding arrangement may be dictated by how easy it is to manipulate all those green connections. I'll leave the actual grounding layout up to you.

Note the small jumpers on each switch. If you can use the same mini toggles as the original diagram it will be easier to assemble.

Hi @curtisa, thank you very much for the work... I really appreciate it.

I've just realized that in the original diagram, the guy is using on-off-on switches and I only have on-on-on... is that an issue? My idea is that the pickups act like normal humbuckers in the middle position of each splitting switch.

And I have another concern... isn't the switch in the middle (the pup selector) connected to the ground?

Excuse my ignorance. Definitely owe you a beer. ;)

3 hours ago, psikoT said:

I only have on-on-on... is that an issue?

I've drawn it assuming you had on/on/on switches. It should work as shown, but it is more complicated than if you use the on/off/on switches.

3 hours ago, psikoT said:

isn't the switch in the middle (the pup selector) connected to the ground?

Nope, doesn't need to be in this application.

• Like 1

On 16/7/2017 at 2:00 PM, curtisa said:
On 16/7/2017 at 10:13 AM, psikoT said:

isn't the switch in the middle (the pup selector) connected to the ground?

Nope, doesn't need to be in this application.

I thought that all the components should be connected to ground otherwise one could get an electro-shock while playing without shoes or something like that... :blush

Anyway, I finally could afford a common 3 way pickup selector and wanted to use it instead the mini-switch, so I've modified the diagram a lil bit. Hope it's ok.

Thanks again for support!

electronics_3way-02.thumb.jpg.74caa9a6f2c386428cf75352adf2f87a.jpg