I'm making me an 8 string.....electric mandolin

15 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

digging the colors on that cocobolo fingerboard. 

It will be interesting to see how long they last. The board was dark brown with deep red streaks when I started, and went to a medium brown with dark streaks and big areas of orange background. I think that shows up in some of the earliest pics. And now after a few weeks and some more sanding it is more brown with gold streaks. It will darken over time I'm sure, and that's okay too.

SR

Cocobolo darkens up fast in sunlight. The Hand of Doom fretboard features are almost unrecognizable. My main guitar right now is one of the S9 Express I built with a Cocobolo board and Padauk neck is becoming very dark. Not enough UV protection in the finish. The padauk neck is so dark red (like burnt umber) it you wouldn't know it is padauk. I play it alot so it is always out of the case and in use... 

@avengers63 always swore the only way to keep cocobolo color fast is to coat it with a layer of bug juice. I did that (gave it a coat of shellac) on the cocobolo fretboard and HS cap of the singlecut I made some years back....the one with your P-90s in it in fact. So far it has worked for 7 years or so. On the other hand it rarely sees any sunlight....

SR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

@avengers63 always swore the only way to keep cocobolo color fast is to coat it with a layer of bug juice. I did that (gave it a coat of shellac) on the cocobolo fretboard and HS cap of the singlecut I made some years back....the one with your P-90s in it in fact. So far it has worked for 7 years or so. On the other hand it rarely sees any sunlight....

SR

did you mean to say RAD there gramps? 

7 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

did you mean to say RAD there gramps? 

Nope, that was John.  John was (probably still is) a fan of shellac's ability to seal off the oils in exotic woods. He said it was the oil in cocobolo that migrated to the surface and then darkened. RAD always told him he wasn't going to resort to bug juice.

SR

helps to read-(for me) and not work and check in on the group I obviously cant multitask very well. not this week anyway. 

I zeroed in on the p-90s comment- as in- RADs p-90s-(I did get that part right right?)and then took the sentence where you call out John's handle as meaning- you swore not john swore (the whole time thinking you meant to say Rad- 

Confused? I am. My 5 functioning brain cells may be a bit drained already this week. 

PS- cancelled that day of vacation again Scott- Asheville will have to hold off another week. Work. Work Work. 

@avengers63 (John) was always adamant about shellac and boiled linseed oil... Me not so much. Shellac and boiled linseed oil are too soft for my taste. Something, something, this ain't furniture I believe is how the argument would go. 

I always was trying new finishes until I found that I like Behlens Teak Oil on my personal guitars. Also I am still a lacquer fanatic if I must clear coat. 

Yeah forgot I built a couple of different sets of pickups for Scott. I miss guitar building but not pickup winding. That became way too much of a science. Not that I would ever put someone else's pickups in one of my guitars mind you. I am still an elitist. 

How do those P90s sound? Did they settle into the guitar?  

11 hours ago, RestorationAD said:

How do those P90s sound? Did they settle into the guitar?

They sound great. Rude and sweet, cranky and subtle, depending on the attack, just P-90s are supposed to do. They have a excellent blues and vintage rock sound and particularly liked being played though my Blues Jr. Now the Blues Jr. is at my son's house and the that particular single cut spends most of its time in the case as it was an early model and my later builds have the subtle improvements that a builder learns with experience. My most recent build gets the most playing time and it has a set of P-90s as well. I really need to pull the single cut out and compare the two tones.

The set of A4 PAFs you built me still gets their fair share of playing time. That red double-cut with the F-hole they went in is one I always go back to. Sweet playing, sweet sounding guitar. My wife told me that is one I can never get rid of. 

12 hours ago, RestorationAD said:

Not that I would ever put someone else's pickups in one of my guitars mind you. I am still an elitist. 

That gives you and those few of us with GuitarLogistics pups a bit of an advantage, don't you think?:)

SR

On 8/15/2017 at 8:06 PM, RestorationAD said:

@avengers63 (John) was always adamant about shellac and boiled linseed oil... 

And I still am :)

Yes, shellac is the only thing that will keep in the oils of rosewoods and prevent them from rising to the surface and eventually becoming black, lifeless, ugly fretboards. You only need 1-2 coats to seal it in. 

And for other non-finished freboards, I do still like linseed oil. It's not to protect the wood, but to bring out the color. The protection it offers is minimal, and therefore negligible for our purposes.

And now, Scott, I have more reason to hate you. I've been wanting to make an electric mandolin for a while. Now that you've done it, nothing I ever do will look any good at all. greasy pile of vajinal discharge

• Like 1

Linseed oil and shellac boiled together is a very old school varnish; add a few more components to that such as sandarac or similar and you're wandering into violin-finish sorts of territory. I'm a big advocate of raw linseed oil myself on fingerboards, and as you say, it doesn't "feed" the wood which is a term invented by the furniture polish industry to sell products one doesn't need. Raw linseed wiped on, wiped off is as good as it gets.

As far as shellac stopping oils from rising up, it's probably the simplest method short of encasing it in silly amounts of plastic or other crap. That said, it doesn't prevent oxidation (slows it down at best) or block changes from exposure to UV. Preaching to the converted, I know, but I always end up talking to one but meant for all....

To stay in line with my one and only standing warning on the site, "it's spelt with a G".

• Like 1

Good to see you again John. Your name does come up in conversation every once in a while...particularly when us long timers get to rehashing what's gone before. I'm pretty sure you owe us some updates on your acoustic builds.

9 hours ago, avengers63 said:

I've been wanting to make an electric mandolin for a while

Go for it. Mine will be lonely, assuming it doesn't crash and burn. Actually, it looks like at least one more is in the works, as a buddy of mine thinks he wants one that looks like tiny tele. This one is basically a test build to see what works and what doesn't,,,and to see if parts are readily available. They are, but my success at finding sources has been very narrow. If you do go for it I'll be happy to give some feedback on the parts I'm using.

SR

Not for fingerboards. The objective with any oil there is to wipe one, then buff right off until it's absolutely gone. I mean, you can do the same with BLO however it's a bit academic as to the difference when you're wiping them clean off. You were talking boards, right?

On 8/18/2017 at 0:40 AM, Prostheta said:

Not for fingerboards. The objective with any oil there is to wipe one, then buff right off until it's absolutely gone. I mean, you can do the same with BLO however it's a bit academic as to the difference when you're wiping them clean off. You were talking boards, right?

In general. Never use anything that doesn't harden as a guitar finish. Voodoo. You can't  argue cause i will use nonsense no science having superstitions to win the arguement.

40 minutes ago, RestorationAD said:

Scott!!! Watcha do this weekend?

Well.....not as much as I'd hoped, as we had some family in the house this weekend and I lost the better part of a day. But I did some clean up work on the neck.

C00193.jpgC00197.jpgC00198.jpgC00202.jpg

Actually, that was done last weekend.

SR