I'm making me an 8 string.....electric mandolin

The tenon has areas just below the surface of the body...mandolin dimensions don't always translate to quitar build techniques. I filled the end of the tenon with epoxy and the leveled the tenon with epoxy and router chips from the neck pocket.

C00227.jpg

C00229.jpgC00231.jpg

And started fitting the top until I ran out of weekend. And right about here I realized that between the taper of the neck and the overhang of the fretboard, it is going to be tricky to get a nice fit to the neck and actually get it on the neck in position to be glued up. I'm going to have to think on that one for a bit....

C00233.jpg

What did you do?

SR

• Like 3

On 8/20/2017 at 9:06 PM, ScottR said:

What did you do? SR

Not much. Just glued that scarf. Nice to not have an agenda...

Good luck with that overhang. :popcorn: 

Worst case you remove the 21st fret, cut the overhang off at the 21st fret slot, attach the top, reattach the overhang. 

I wrapped sand paper around a scraper, a cheap plane iron, and a nylon block that was the same thickness as the top.

C00271.jpg

It worked. There are some small gaps at the top end of the pocket that will disappear with the carve. I took a page out of @sdshirtman 's book and used violin clamps around the perimeter for the glue up. His builds come out amazing, so I have no doubt this will work for mine too.

C00277.jpg

And it did.

C00279.jpg

The remaining clean up is on me.

C00283.jpg

SR

I couldn't get around the floods to get to work last Monday, and I got another day in yesterday. Two days worth is enough for an update.

I made a couple of quick templates and routed the control cavity.

C00298.jpg

And made another for the cover. I didn't want to set up the router table...and I'm not at all fond of getting my fingers as close to the blade as a cavity cover requires. So I did some close cutting on the band saw and finessed the fit with a quick and dirty shooting board set up consisting of clamping my plane sanding block to a sheet of acrylic.

C00300.jpgC00301.jpg

Time to start on the scroll.

C00302.jpg

SR

• Like 1