The Helix build (video series)

Hah gonna be watching these! I did pretty much the exact same thing a few years ago so I can relate to all the comments about taking time to set up the camera and then the time spent managing the tens of hours of footage and distilling that to something watchable.

I also ended up releasing it in episodes (otherwise I'd have never finished probably), ended up with 13 parts of 10-15 minutes each. (though mine includes a lot of talking and explanations aimed at people unfamiliar with guitar building)

Good job with the first episode!

2 hours ago, pan_kara said:

Hah gonna be watching these! I did pretty much the exact same thing a few years ago so I can relate to all the comments about taking time to set up the camera and then the time spent managing the tens of hours of footage and distilling that to something watchable.

I also ended up releasing it in episodes (otherwise I'd have never finished probably), ended up with 13 parts of 10-15 minutes each. (though mine includes a lot of talking and explanations aimed at people unfamiliar with guitar building)

Good job with the first episode!

^^^^ This ^^^^ :coffee:

Yo John,

Really enjoyed the video. I've thought about doing one myself, however just the added time of taking detailed pictures, editing the pictures, and posting them to document a build is a huge increase. Probably adds 10-15% more time to the job.

Video I have to think is gonna add 50% more to the job itself, and then all the editing into a coherent production after the fact, I decided not to bother.

Plus my shop is always such a mess :)

Thanks for all the positive comments. Nice to see people enjoying it. I'll have another episode ready soon. 

As far as the spool clamps, I made mine similar to the hole saw method but instead used a piece of round stock similar to what you'd find your clothes hanging on in your closet. They're a few dollars at your local home improvement store. Slice and drill as needed and stick some cork on there. I think they ended up costing me something like $0.30 per clamp. I have a bucket full of em.   Oh, and they work great for fretboard/neck glue-ups. And to think StewMac sells them for six bucks per. <_<

On 7/31/2017 at 4:03 PM, 2.5itim said:

Very nice work man! Goodness ya could have gotten 3 necks outa that neck blank haha

Yeah I know. I do the occasional scarf from time to time but sometimes you just gotta make some sacrifices to get what you want. :D

On 8/5/2017 at 5:49 AM, meatloaf said:

I only have one problem with your vidoes, you make it look so easy. Really nice work man

Well thanks Meatloaf (love that username BTW). What amazes me is just how fast I work on video. <_<

Since I'm here I might as well post the latest installment. I unfortunately had some corrupt files and lost some fretting footage which kinda sucks. 

• Like 2

I believe that it's a fan that blows away debris. I've seen people 3D print them, but I'm unsure what John did or where he got it from. Certainly more swish than a bit of masking tape! :lol:

Your fret press head is deflecting a bit, John....mine did that till I replaced the pivot pin with something heavier. I bent the original machine bolt till it broke!

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

Excellent  treatise on the importance of paying attention to the little details, John. 

You've pick up some nice toys over the years too. What is that greenish housing over the bit on your dremel? I haven't seen that before.

SR

Its the 490 blower from StewMac. http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Routers_and_Bits/Routers/Dremel_490_Dust_Blower.html

I got it on a whim during a big order from SM last year. Shit you have to have right? I think it was the subject of ridicule by Sully and friends on one of his Luthierist podcast a few months back. It works but its more trouble than its worth because you can't get bits out without completely loosening the height adjustment on the router guide. I've since switched back to a piece of tape or a fish pump.

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

I believe that it's a fan that blows away debris. I've seen people 3D print them, but I'm unsure what John did or where he got it from. Certainly more swish than a bit of masking tape! :lol:

Your fret press head is deflecting a big John....mine did that till I replaced the pivot pin with something heavier. I bent the original machine bolt till it broke!

Funny you bring that up because I didn't really notice until I reviewed the footage I shot from that angle. Its since been fixed with a shim. :thumb:

15 minutes ago, sdshirtman said:

It works but its more trouble than its worth because you can't get bits out without completely loosening the height adjustment on the router guide. I've since switched back to a piece of tape or a fish pump.

It looks like it would obstruct your view of your work piece as well. I use a little hose from an airbrush compressor after asking you what your were using in one of your past builds. And I don't use that very often, since inlaying is way down near the bottom of the list of things I enjoy doing.

SR

8 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Pantograph.....!

Naw, it's not that. I don't have any problem coming up with designs or rendering them proportionately. It's cutting out those tiny little pieces of shell and routing the tiny little routes. It makes my fingers hurt and my eyes twitch, and uses up my patience in a hurry. Oddly enough, I can carve little details and sand all day and achieve a state of zen. But cutting little pieces of shell twangs my last nerve.

SR