Are any of your CNC genii doing custom runs for other folks

Johnny Foreigner

This is very much an initial exploration kind of question, so bear with me.

It's been 6 or 7 years since my last build. Mainly that's because of lack of space to do any building, but also time constraints.

In the last year or so I taught myself how to use fusion 360 and have put together a couple of designs that I'm pretty happy with and I would love to see translated into real guitars at some point if my circumstances change.

Then it occurred to me that I would just about have time, space and tools to be able to handle glue-ups, finish sanding, pore-filling, fretting, electronics, hardware installation and oil finishes.

So my question is this: do any of you who are handy with you CNCs ever take on commissioned work from others. I.E. could I pay someone to machine the basic components of my guitar design from my CAD file? And if so, what would that look like cost-wise and what would I need to deliver on my end, in terms of a file, to make that possible.

Not something I'm looking to do right away, but was curious about what it might look like as a process.

I've just started playing with Fusion 360 myself, having seen it recommended by a few of the guys here. To say I'm impressed is a huge understatement. I generally use Rhino, AutoCAD or Sketchup when designing (mostly furniture, props and museum interactives) and I've been aiming to use Solidworks more. Fusion seems more like Solidworks than any of the others, but doesn't cost zillions of pounds. I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth into it.

I'm mainly replying here to see if you've checked out any Makerspaces? For those of us living in tiny shared flats with no shed/yard/garden etc. they can be invaluable places to use shared machinery that would otherwise be inaccessible, meet like minded people and even do courses in things like CAD and CAM (courses that are often free).

There's a brilliant one near me in Hackney that has a shared workshop equipped with lots of kit including lathes, mills, a laser cutter and a small CNC. I'm sure there's probably even more in LA - like this one: http://hexlabmakerspace.com/

(I know LA is a big place, but if you search maybe there'll be a Makerspace near to you. They're normally very friendly places, with lots of people itching to help fellow makers)

On 8/10/2017 at 1:33 AM, Zoltar said:

I'm mainly replying here to see if you've checked out any Makerspaces? For those of us living in tiny shared flats with no shed/yard/garden etc. they can be invaluable places to use shared machinery that would otherwise be inaccessible, meet like minded people and even do courses in things like CAD and CAM (courses that are often free).

There's a brilliant one near me in Hackney that has a shared workshop equipped with lots of kit including lathes, mills, a laser cutter and a small CNC. I'm sure there's probably even more in LA - like this one: http://hexlabmakerspace.com/

(I know LA is a big place, but if you search maybe there'll be a Makerspace near to you. They're normally very friendly places, with lots of people itching to help fellow makers)

Time is as much my issue as space/tools, but it's definitely something to consider. The hexlab one looks great, but is more than an hour's drive away. LA is a ridiculously big place and the traffic is next level insane.

I'll look into other options for sure though.

• 3 months later...