Single Humbucker Build

Hi

Following my first build (many mistakes and mini disasters) I've decided to build a single pickup 'G' guitar.

It's sort of a Schecter Tempest, Les Paul double cutaway cross with a bolt on neck. :unsure:  

Here's my finished templates:

FullSizeRender.jpg.4f1453d95eb852de9b629ecc8f4a9aec.jpg

I learned so much from my last build.I keep telling myself that this build will be so much better. :hyper

I'm putting a Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 in it with volume and tone controls. I've never done any binding so that might be in this build.

Wish me luck!

4 hours ago, Mateyboy said:

Thanks... I've made a change already. I'm going to make a pointy jackson/ibanez-type headstock. Simple because I've never made one.

I'm waiting for delivery of the body wood and then I'll get started.

:thumb:

Good. Wasn't  a fan of the other headstock for the body style. Honestly when doing JR style builds i always stick closer to Gibson convention. This usually means short and dumpy. Sounds silly but there is a gibsonesque perception stigma when it comes to these style builds.

On 21 August 2017 at 1:06 AM, RestorationAD said:

Good. Wasn't  a fan of the other headstock for the body style. Honestly when doing JR style builds i always stick closer to Gibson convention. This usually means short and dumpy. Sounds silly but there is a gibsonesque perception stigma when it comes to these style builds.

I think this is what I've settled for:

FullSizeRender.jpg.1dc67c70e8be25312b33dcdcbc9410a5.jpg

Hopefully I can start shaping the body this weekend. :hyper

On 8/26/2017 at 7:45 AM, Mateyboy said:

I think this is what I've settled for:

FullSizeRender.jpg.1dc67c70e8be25312b33dcdcbc9410a5.jpg

Hopefully I can start shaping the body this weekend. :hyper

Better but still not what I would do. But that is cool cause it is your build not mine. Cardboard cut outs are never as cool as finished products. 

Hope you get to start soon. Cheers! 

This is the body, routed:

IMG_1651.JPG.c2d0788a48e3014ea94e9484232048d5.JPG

On 28 August 2017 at 1:20 AM, RestorationAD said:

Better but still not what I would do. But that is cool cause it is your build not mine. Cardboard cut outs are never as cool as finished products. 

The headstock isn't done yet, I often change my mind when I'm doing something so it may change again! :unsure:

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time. Had a million and one jobs to do... But the big chunk of sapele is back on the workbench! :wOOt

I've almost finished sanding it and I'm about to put some grain filler in the pores.

Hopefully I should have some pictures to post when I have some dye on the wood! :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mateyboy said:

It's been a long time. Had a million and one jobs to do... But the big chunk of sapele is back on the workbench! :wOOt

I've almost finished sanding it and I'm about to put some grain filler in the pores.

Hopefully I should have some pictures to post when I have some dye on the wood! :)

Well, @Norris 's build took him two years....so I would say you're racing along :lol:

I do like that shape, though.  Nice design :)

• Like 1