14 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Why? I think Brett would secretly love it. :popcorn:

No I wouldn't. Stop. That is crazy talk. No one worth their salt would get caught dead playing a gold guitar that was not a Gold Top LP. And all the Gold Top LP had CHROME hardware. So stop. 

I also have called several parts distributors and petitioned them to stop selling gold hardware to builders. It didn't work... but I tried to save you silly lot. 

• 5 months later...

So I went to war with the SG over what color it was going to be, I planed to paint it Olympic white.  It had other ideas. A good friend took one look at it and said "You can't paint it". I said it is just mahogany and I need another brown guitar like I need another hole in my head. Little did I know that he would put the Romanian Gypsy curse on the guitar.

So I sealed it with gel super glue. I then painted it Appliance White with epoxy. It fish-eyed. And I don't mean little one here or there. I mean several huge right in the middle of the best parts blisters. 

I was pretty mad. It took a weekend to paint and a few days to dry.  I grabbed the Mek and whipped it all off. That left white in all the grain. Bad start.

Next I grabbed a can of flat black. I shot it with engine flat black and all was going well. I was thinking this isn't so bad. Then I looked at it and hated the black. I waited until it was dry and shot some White Epoxy over it. Looked good... seemed like I as getting white after all.  Next morning I came out and it had blistered again...

Mek back to bare wood. Grain was filled with mix of white and black.

Grabbed some lime green paint I have been sitting on. Back in the day I painted all my guitars this nasty Dodge lime green. After a coat I felt it looked just like my old guitars....

Mek back to bare wood. Grain was filled with mix of lime green, white, and black.

I gave up. Fine if it wanted to be bare Sapele that is what we would do.  I sanded it back with 400 grit paper in my DA. Worked out really well.

I grabbed my trusty 30 year old can of brown grain filler and covered the guitar in hopes to cover up the multi color grain fill. 

Didn't work. Next day I was cleaning up the excess and  the white kept popping through. The only choice I had was to sand way back with 120 though the sealer until the grain was clear. I decided that was a no go as it would compromise the wonderful SG lines carved into this thing.  The difference between this and a real SG are subtle. But on the arm rest and belly the carve is concave not flat. The lines are sharp. The top horn is a bit sharper than a regular SG.  I couldn't risk a re-sand.

I grabbed a very old jar of nitro that I had mixed up several years ago for another project. It had a good orange tint and the lacquer had started to darken so it was very vintage looking. I cleaned up what I had and shot a base coat. It stuck and didn't fisheye. 

To round it out I added a bit more orange and used my burst  gun to make it a vintage orange burst. Done. The SG won. It was natural and the only thing I could do was look on as my hopes of a white SG gassed off in lacquer fumes.

IMG_20180512_143233.jpg

IMG_20180513_113522.jpg

IMG_20180513_113525.jpg

Of course this didn't even go well. The old lacquer didn't flash out fast enough and I developed a few foggy areas and runs.

So I waited a week and sanded it out. Once it was flat I used the very last few drops of the orange to fix the burst and shot it with a few coats of new lacquer.

IMG_20180513_113531.jpg

IMG_20180513_120447.jpg

IMG_20180513_120450.jpg

IMG_20180513_120454.jpg

• Like 1

I had a set of pickups picked out but they didn't seem right. I dug around in my box and found this set of experimental things. 3/8" Allen poles with A8 mags wound to my Destroyer spec (basically a vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion).

IMG_20180526_121807.jpg

I made a mess getting all the old guitar equipment out of the closet.

IMG_20180526_121829.jpg

Took me a while to remember how to solder...

IMG_20180526_133515.jpg

It is not even close to my old level of build but I really wanted something I could beat on, not care if it got dinged, and comfortably play everyday. Cool thing is it is easy to play sitting at the computer (only my headless were good for that before). 

IMG_20180526_153841.jpg

IMG_20180526_153907.jpg

IMG_20180526_153912.jpg

IMG_20180526_153854.jpg

1 minute ago, curtisa said:

Wow. Two curses for two. Guess you're never touching SG builds again then? ;)

Yup. Last SG ever. It was horrible. I lost 6 weeks just painting and repainting...

Right when I was shooting the burst the wind picked up and started blowing the white floating cat o nine tail seeds into the garage. I raced to close the door... Then @ScottR a damn gnat landed in the fresh lacquer. Luckily he freed himself and I only shot over his foot prints. 

• Like 1