3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

You always go back to the SGs eh Brett? I can't blame you. They're so fun to make with the bevelling.

Just finishing up Nina's Jr.

IMG_9309.JPG

It looks like I accidentally fitted a nickel stoptail....

I like that. Maybe I will build one... doh. 

17 hours ago, RestorationAD said:

Of course this didn't even go well. The old lacquer didn't flash out fast enough and I developed a few foggy areas and runs.

So I waited a week and sanded it out. Once it was flat I used the very last few drops of the orange to fix the burst and shot it with a few coats of new lacquer.

IMG_20180513_113531.jpg

IMG_20180513_120447.jpg

IMG_20180513_120450.jpg

IMG_20180513_120454.jpg

Clearly the process getting there was a royal PITA - but the result is magnificent!

6 hours ago, Prostheta said:

You always go back to the SGs eh Brett? I can't blame you. They're so fun to make with the bevelling.

Just finishing up Nina's Jr.

IMG_9309.JPG

It looks like I accidentally fitted a nickel stoptail....

I was wondering how this one was getting on.  With apols for the thread hijack, looks good :)

6 hours ago, RestorationAD said:

I like that. Maybe I will build one... doh. 

If you do Brett, I'd recommend having a look into ABM's 3024 adjustable wraparounds:

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/ABM-GUITAR-PARTS/Wraparound/Modern-Adjustable/ABM-3024:::256_88_122_123.html?language=en

I have one of these allocated to (one of) the RG/SG(s) and it's a very very fine unit. Perfect for a Jr, where you want minimal controls and a spartan layout. Nina's was designed in this manner, however I went TOM/stoptail. I was tempted though. Regardless, designed to play with a cranked valve amp so you can clean it up by working the volume and tone. Organic, raw. That sort of buzzwordland.

23 hours ago, Prostheta said:

If you do Brett, I'd recommend having a look into ABM's 3024 adjustable wraparounds:

https://abm-guitarpartsshop.com/ABM-GUITAR-PARTS/Wraparound/Modern-Adjustable/ABM-3024:::256_88_122_123.html?language=en

I have one of these allocated to (one of) the RG/SG(s) and it's a very very fine unit. Perfect for a Jr, where you want minimal controls and a spartan layout. Nina's was designed in this manner, however I went TOM/stoptail. I was tempted though. Regardless, designed to play with a cranked valve amp so you can clean it up by working the volume and tone. Organic, raw. That sort of buzzwordland.

I like ABM stuff a lot but I think I have a few Tone Pros just laying around in my parts box

http://www.tonepros.com/avt2m-tonepros-wraparound-set-wmsprs-locking-studs-for-prs-santana-models/

• Like 1

Strings are on, nut is roughed in, tuners are fit, pickups are fit. Somehow I ended up with a low fret at the 9. I must have pushed too hard with the fret press. It looks a little over seated. It is only off a hair so when I level and crown it should be fine. Everything else fit like expected. I will let it sit a few days then take it apart for painting.

IMG_20180528_150825.jpg

IMG_20180528_150836.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr Natural said:

good to see you back Rad. the axes look great (as always). 

Did you put an angle in the neck on the sg? I just noticed one of the pics the bridge appears to be recessed. 

PS- I think I have said this before- but I dig those boogies. 

Ahhh.. .the SG is a player. No neck angle. The ABM bridge base plate is recessed flush with the body. The SG is basically a 24.75" S9 with an SG body and 3+3 headstock. I really like my right hand to be close to the body when playing. I really don't like TOMs anymore. The older I get the more it makes my wrist sore playing the traditional TOM guitars. 

The idea was I wanted an SG body guitar I can pick up whenever and play like my S9 express... a real workhorse. 

IMG_20180528_170455.jpg

IMG_20180528_170500.jpg

The guitar turned out a bit heavier than I wanted but it is so monstrous... I can't wait to put good strings on it and set the intonation.

The Boogies like it. I miss my Mark IV and the 4x12 EV cab but the Calibers do a good job of being Boogies. I re-tubed the Studio with all Electro Harmonics 12ax7 and that gave it the liquid fire Mark II C+ lead tone at low volume. The .50 Caliber + is the greatest version of that amp ever... coupled with the Theile ported EV it is a true monster capable of Master of Puppets like devastation. Funny enough I bought the .50 and EV cab for $500 a long time ago. I bought the Studio .22 for $500 as well. I have to say best $1000 I ever spent on music equipment.  

I have a complete hand wire kit for the Blackheart I just can't find time to tear it apart. And honestly it pales next to the boogies. 

1 hour ago, curtisa said:

I didn't realise the Wookie was still in a state of semi-assembled-ness after all this time.

I used to own a Caliber 50 head. Loved the clean tone, could never get along with the distorted channel, too murky and fuzzy for my tastes.

Tubes. Old amps like quality tubes. My .50 cal has mostly USA made tubes. God help me if one of them ever burn out... I will have to go Russian at that point. The .22 is already all Russian and it is not the same. 

Nah, tried loads of tubes. Even modded the preamp from the Cal 50 to the Cal 50+ version. Just not my kind of tone. More to do with the preamp circuit topology than anything else. I find I'm drawn to the Soldano SLO100 and their various derivatives more.

On 5/26/2018 at 5:45 PM, RestorationAD said:

Yup. Last SG ever. It was horrible. I lost 6 weeks just painting and repainting...

Right when I was shooting the burst the wind picked up and started blowing the white floating cat o nine tail seeds into the garage. I raced to close the door... Then @ScottR a damn gnat landed in the fresh lacquer. Luckily he freed himself and I only shot over his foot prints. 

Props for sticking with the finishing process. I'm not sure I wouldn't have booted the thing across the garage about halfway through that. Too bad the gnat got away....serious mojo flying around with sticky feet.

It's really good to know you are making sawdust again.

SR

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...