Router bits

ScottR

Do any of you guys have a source for a spiral flute, top bearing, pattern following bit? I think @KnightroExpress gave me a link at one time, but it appears to have been in the thread that I accidentally deleted most of. The closest thing I have found so far are these:

https://www.toolstoday.com/flush-trim-3-flute-plunge-template-router-bits-w-upper-ball-bearing.html

The are at least angled.

What is your favorite bit for routing the various cavities in a typical guitar body?

Thanks and cheers!

Scott

Have you thought about fixed rings Scott?

For pickup cavities I typically use the stewmac bits, plus a normal template bit for bigger things. But I'm trying to transition to spiral bits with fixed template guides since I don't seem to find spiral bits with bearings, straight bits are much easier to come by. But that's mostly for things like body outline etc and requires a new set of templates. For cavities I might stick with what I'm using for now

I have thought about them, and I have thought about spirals that are flush to the shanks and just letting the shank ride the template. That works but you have to be very cognizant of heat build up. I found a nice spiral bit in a hardware store several years ago that had a bearing that was not quite the same size as the bit. I put a matching bearing on it and it has been my go to bit for cavities....and of course it is now pretty much too dull to use. I ordered some of those bits in my link, which have three angled flutes and should be better than straight bits. I'll report on how they work when I get to that point.

Spiral bits cut so much cleaner though, you'd think a pattern following spiral bit would be readily available.

SR

18 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

sent wrong link Scotty- here is the whiteside bit I meant to send

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/whiteside-ultimate-trim-bit.aspx

not cheap but I love Whiteside router bits.

The center one is basically it, and I did find that one from both Whiteside and Amana. The problem with it is the 7/8" diameter. It would be great for outside edges, but not so much for interior routes like pickup cavities.

SR

• 1 month later...

Hi Scott. I didnt see your thread before posting one of my own about spiral bits...

I have yet to find one of a size for pickup routes. I prefer a 3/8" bit for that and I have yet to see a 3/8" spiral flush trim bit.

Someday maybe...

12 minutes ago, Skyjerk said:

Hi Scott. I didnt see your thread before posting one of my own about spiral bits...

I have yet to find one of a size for pickup routes. I prefer a 3/8" bit for that and I have yet to see a 3/8" spiral flush trim bit.

Someday maybe...

Hey Chris--

I did not find anything in 3/8" spiral, but I did find a 3/8" angled bit with 3 flutes from Amana Tool. I haven't gotten around to posting a pic in this thread but there is one in my Stripy Double Cut thread. I'm very please with it so far....not quite up to a spiral, but much better than the straight pattern following bits.

SR