Multiscale P Bass

On 12/7/2017 at 7:07 AM, Norris said:

Not necessarily. It depends what you want. I have a multi-scale P/MM in my head (my 3rd build when I get to it), but I'll be mounting the pickups perpendicular to the centre line. I'm not a huge fan of angled pickups - if that's what is behind your question

Norris, stupid question here, but is there any difference between mounting the pickups perpendicular compared to angled? My second build (in my head - still planning) is a 5-string multi-scale and that was one of the items for me to research.

Cheers,

Chuck

6 hours ago, Chuck_Chill-Out said:

Norris, stupid question here, but is there any difference between mounting the pickups perpendicular compared to angled? My second build (in my head - still planning) is a 5-string multi-scale and that was one of the items for me to research.

Cheers,

Chuck

The positioning of the pickup determines which overtones are predominant in the sound, with many manufacturers having their own "sweet spot". I think most people making multi-scales align the pickup with a virtual fret so as to get the same balance of overtones across the strings. However a P pickup is split, so you would never get exactly the same overtones anyway. Plus of course the overtones change as you fret a string.

IMHO I think it mainly comes down to aesthetics: do you prefer the look of it at an angle or perpendicular? I doubt that you'd notice a massive difference in tone