Obol guitar build

Hello, 

Here is an image of my guitar design I am preparing to build.  I am very excited to see this project start to take on its physical form.

Already, in reading though some of the builds on this forum, I have gleaned some very helpful insights.

Thanks,

Paul

w 2_edited.jpg

• Like 1

Some time this last month, I gained access to a good 3d printer.  Prior to that, this wasn't a project I had planned on starting any time soon.  It still is a gamble, because I am asking the foundry to cast this part with a thinner wall thickness than ideal. 

So far,  my wood is selected for the back and the neck, and a black Schaller Signum bridge is on order.

Edited by FINEFUZZ
bad spelling

I am double checking all my math and now I am starting to scrutinize some of my decisions.

The dimension from my high E-string saddle and the bottom edge of my bridge pickup is .75 inches.

I based this off a hollow body les-paulish guitar's dimension I have.  It seems like that dimension may shorter than what I am seeing being done.  Does .75" inches seem reasonable, or would it be safer to bump it up to 1 inch territory?

You'll probably want to finalize that height by ear with the strings on and the guitar plugged in. My pole to string distance usually ends up closer to a half inch....or so it seems, I suppose I should check to verify that. In general the tops of the pickups fall somewhere between the bottom edge and top edge of the fretboard.

SR

Upon rereading your post I see you said the bottom edge of your pickup.:mellow: So yes, 1" will probably be a better place to start.

sr

Thanks, I will aim for one inch.  I have seen 2.5cm referenced for this dimension in other places which is basically 1 inch.

This is my first guitar build, and I am doing it a little backwards because I want to cast this crazy bronze piece before I build any other part.  It is easier to machine material away (if I needed to get the pickup closer to the bridge) than add material.

The sweet spot moves every time you fret a note. The closer the pickup is to the bridge, the more treble twang you get and the volume reduces a little as well. The further away from the bridge the warmer the sound is and it gets  a little louder as well. I have started moving my bridge pickups a little further away, as I like the warmer sound better. I can always pick closer to the bridge to increase the twang. I aim for something in the area of where the bass side of a tele or stat pickup lands.

Bottom line, if you like the cut through the mix sound of a bridge pickup best, move a little closer to the bridge. If you like it a little fuller and warmer move it a little further from the bridge.

SR

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, sdshirtman said:

This is certainly one of the more unique designs I've seen in a while.   I'll certainly be watching this thread to see it come together.

If I may,  I think the control knob markers distract from the design and are unnecessary. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the observation.  I had the feeling in the back of my mind that the markers were bordering on being a little too cute, and visually unnecessary. 

If i do leave them in place, they will prove to be an obstacle when I start to metal finish the surface since they stand proud.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, curtisa said:

Fascinating. Kinda like watching an Airfix kit go together :)

Thanks, I was using the idea of how model planes come with all the components attached together by their sprues.  If the printer was larger, I wouldn't have to do so much goofing around.

10 hours ago, Norris said:

I'm still agog at this build. It's certainly different! :) I can't wait to see how it turns out 

:popcorn:

Thanks Norris, I am very much in the same boat.  This is completely an experiment that could have either rewarding or disappointing yields.

I am hoping that the bronze will increase the sustain by ringing/ vibrating like a bell.  I also see the possibility that these properties may produce unwanted noise, or runaway feedback.  I really cannot see any way to prove this, however, without going through the expense of building the complete guitar.

I am also curios about other aspects of using metal instead of wood, such as: how shielding will be achieved, and how bright the guitar will sound.