Any tips for neck pocket routing adjustment?

I am reaching the final stages of my guitar body and everything was looking pretty good.

My neck pocket is so comfortable that it almost squeaks - it holds the weight of the neck on its own. Unfortunately, I have just discovered that it is about 3mm too shallow and given the shape of the body, there isn't much of a platform to rest the router on. I kept the offcuts to hold the body on my Workmate when I did the pickup routing but I routed the neck pocket when the body was just a short plank of wood.

Actually, I wouldn't mind any neck pocket routing tips because this is the single greatest anxiety I have had about guitar making as it is so critical to get it right; particularly the flat neck contact.

On 24/12/2017 at 5:35 AM, Flamesong said:

3mm too shallow and given the shape of the body

Easiest way to fix is use a short pattern-following bit (bearing above the cutter) and use your existing pocket edges as the template. To get the router to stay level after the body has been shaped should be just a case of adding some flat surfaces for the router to sit on without wobbling. Plywood, MDF offcuts or perspex sheeting is ideal. You may have to chock up the edges of the flatwork to keep it level as it passes over the edge of the body, as the weight of the router will want to make the unsupported areas sag.

On 24/12/2017 at 5:35 AM, Flamesong said:

Actually, I wouldn't mind any neck pocket routing tips because this is the single greatest anxiety I have had about guitar making as it is so critical to get it right; particularly the flat neck contact.

The hardest bit is ensuring the pocket edges follow the shape of the neck properly. The best thing I ever did was build up an adjustable jig specifically for the job. I pinched the idea from an article I saw in issue #1 of Sustain Magazine. The only difference that I do from the article text is add a single layer of thin masking tape to the treble and bass sides of the template edges. This makes the template just a hair narrower to allow the neck to seat a bit more snugly in the finalised pocket. Only other advice I'd suggest is that routing the treble side of the pocket on a Strat/Tele style guitar needs to be done gently, as the pocket edge  where the cutaway meets the neck is extremely fragile and can easily be snapped off.

Actually, just noticed that all 8 issues of Sustain are legitimately available to download for free over here. Grab them all; there's bound to be loads of useful information in them.

Thank you very much for the advice.

I've been away for Christmas and New Year and quite eager to get back to my guitar. I take on board what you said and as I mentioned, I have the offcuts from when I cut out the body so I can use them to act both as a firm clamping buffer and platform for the router. I have the right kind of bit which I used the first time but as it is the most critical bit of the whole body (in my inexperienced eyes), I am probably a little hyper-nervous about it.

And thanks for the magazine links, they will no doubt be invaluable.

I just noticed the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain pictured in issue 1. One of my favourite ever moments was seeing them live - the front row was occupied by a young ukulele players club, all under about 15. When UOGB played Smells Like Teen Spirit, the young kids were all headbanging - I loved it.