fretfind2d multiscale help! rhino beginner help!

guitarjunkie87

hi peeps I've just joined the site and i could do with some complete noob help.

right i have this design and a few different versions of it (different perpendicular fret positioning)

im having a real hard time working out how to determine the bridge angle from fretfind2d information, what calculations do i do and where do i find the exact numbers i need to for this?

i will be using a 7 string hipshot multiscale hardtail bridge and i'm stuck not being able to figure out whether i need the 11, 18, 21 or 26 degree bridge.

i imagine this is a stupid thing but i haven't done much math properly in about 16 years so i'm just stuck on stupid and need some advice lol.

once i know how to do the calculations for my bridge angle i can do the rest and become familiar with the routine.

i appreciate any help you guys can give me.

26-27.5 scale perpendicular fret - 12 - 30 frets.pdf

FretFind2D gives you the tables of key data on the web page. The angle you're after is the 'Bridge angle':

image.png

This is given in degrees from vertical (note that the 'Midline angle' is 90 degrees, which would be your perpendicular fret).

So to determine your ideal bridge angle, just subtract your Midline angle from the Bridge angle. In the above example it's 144.78 - 90 = 54.78 degrees.

4 minutes ago, curtisa said:

FretFind2D gives you the tables of key data on the web page. The angle you're after is the 'Bridge angle':

image.png

This is given in degrees from vertical (note that the 'Midline angle' is 90 degrees, which would be your perpendicular fret).

So to determine your ideal bridge angle, just subtract your Midline angle from the Bridge angle. In the above example it's 144.78 - 90 = 54.78 degrees.

Hi thank you, me and my fiancee did do it this way once, so I was using the correct number but I was expecting to get something nearer 18-26 degrees.

Is it because I have 30 frets that the number is where it is?

5 minutes ago, guitarjunkie87 said:

Is it because I have 30 frets that the number is where it is?

You haven't said what this number is. The pic I provided is just an example of what FretFind2D spits out using the default values.

You need to re-enter your design values into FretFind2D, see what values it returns and do the calc to determine the bridge angle closest to the Hipshot variants.

1 minute ago, curtisa said:

You haven't said what this number is. The pic I provided is just an example of what FretFind2D spits out using the default values.

You need to re-enter your design values into FretFind2D, see what values it returns and do the calc to determine the bridge angle closest to the Hipshot variants.

Haha I'm just doing that atm, to be honest I had 54 degrees at one point during our attempts at calculating so I assumed it was from this lol.

At the moment I'm getting 68 degrees from 26-27.5 with a perpendicular 7th fret, 3mm equal overhang,  44mm and  63.297mm string spacings.

This gives me 158

The only way I can think of getting between 18-26 degrees is making the perpendicular fret around the 20th fret to reduce the angle.

Something doesn't quite add up. I may have given you a bum steer.

Ah. Bridge angle is 180deg - 158deg = 22deg. You can confirm this by entering 26" as the scale length for both treble and bass sides and seeing what happens to the Bridge angle value in the table. Increasing one scale legth to 26.5 swings the bridge angle around by 8 degrees or so (ie, 180-172).

7 hours ago, curtisa said:

Ah. Bridge angle is 180deg - 158deg = 22deg. You can confirm this by entering 26" as the scale length for both treble and bass sides and seeing what happens to the Bridge angle value in the table. Increasing one scale legth to 26.5 swings the bridge angle around by 8 degrees or so (ie, 180-172).

You my friend are a star, thank you for confirming this for me, I shall give this method a try though I believe your right.

I'll get back to you if I'm still having troubles but think I should be alright now.

12 hours ago, curtisa said:

just wanted to say thanks dude, thats working a treat for me.

have a good day mate