Singlecut: Domestic--not domesticated!

4 minutes ago, komodo said:

every. single. time. I see that bench I'm envious. It's awesome!

It is probably the single most useful thing I've ever built. It is about 20 years old now and looks it, but it still does what I built it for very well.

I'm pretty sure you could build one of your own, what with your skill set.:D

SR

Just call me Popeye!

<_<

I got the extension changed, and can now show you the same skull roughly twelve years later.IMG_9023.JPG

My understanding is he got a teeth cleaning shortly after this pic was taken. We certainly don't want his teeth to fall out.

SR

• Like 4

On 8 May 2018 at 12:23 PM, ScottR said:

Just call me Popeye!

<_<

I got the extension changed, and can now show you the same skull roughly twelve years later.IMG_9023.JPG

My understanding is he got a teeth cleaning shortly after this pic was taken. We certainly don't want his teeth to fall out.

SR

My goodness.  What an amazing carve!

10 minutes ago, FINEFUZZ said:

Beautiful skull skills, the grain is awesome!

Thank you sir. Skull skills...now that's a concept I've not considered before. I'm going to have to see what I can do with that. Osage orange has cool grain, but not a lot of contrast, so it isn't always easily picked up. I wonder how a dark fill would look in the various stages of color it goes through.

SR

• 2 weeks later...

After missing a weekend traveling, I got back in the saddle last weekend.

I cut the headstock angle on the bandsaw and cleaned it up with the old plane as a sanding block.

C01252.jpg

Next came the truss rod channel.

C01253.jpg

Then I marked the fretboard location and the neck location and placed some finishing nails to keep the boeard in place during glue up. I did cut those nails down short, less than the thickness of the fretboard.

C01256.jpg

And then glued them together using an old piece of counter top as a caul.

C01258.jpg

SR

• Like 1

While that was drying I started working on the body. I cleaned up the gluing side of the top.

C01260.jpg

And then cleaned up the face side so I could see to locate the body in the sweet spot of the figure.

C01264.jpgC01265.jpg

The light reflects at crazy angles depending on where you are standing....this is an attempt to show the symmetry. It is still only visible at certain angles.

C01262.jpg

C01268.jpg

SR

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Splintazert said:

Very nice Scott and a great headstock carve. Looking at the skull a few pictures before though, it must have been a 'walk in the park' for you to carve the headstock.

Thanks.

Yes, the headstock carve is pretty tame compared to the skull. with that I learned why dentists always push you to get your wisdom teeth removed. They are too much of a PITA to work on back in there.

SR

Time to knock in some frets. I use the Home Depot Special hammer and a piece of aluminum bar stock....and managed to not hit the fretboard with the hammer even once.:)

C01330.jpg

Once all the frets are in, it gets taped off, and the frets are leveled, dressed and polished.

C01333.jpg

I had an idea to try this time, @psikoT. I rolled the edge of the fretboard a little before knocking the frets in. That left the pointy corners of the fret ends just slight above the rounded edge and much easier to file back into the dome shape without marring the edge of the board. I also polished the bottom edge of my crowning file to help protect the edge and used it to do most of the work shaping those domed fret ends.

C01334.jpgC01335.jpg

SR

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

Looking good Scotty.

So- maybe its not an intentional Easter egg but you know me-I'll bite-  so- whats the big ass chunks o'wood in the pic above? Those look like some big ol rounds. 

Those are big ol rounds.

:)

My sister in law gave those to me about 15 years ago. They are roughly 3' diameter, 8" thick slices of live oak. She was hoping I could make a couple of table tops out of them......and one would get to be hers. Of course they we cut green and cracked all to hell as they dried out. I had visions of filling the cracks and flooding the surface with bar top resin finish. Then I took a belt sander to it and learned that taking chain saw marks out of live oak end grain would probably kick my ass. So for the last 15 years they have been stacked on an old cable spool and serving as a bench for my chop saw....and a table top on which to pile all the small crap I'm using during a build. So they ultimately did become a table top of sorts.:P

SR